What's new

The iPhone 5 buyers and owners thread! (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The new Apple Maps is something I am looking forward to checking out. It appears to be a misfire. Very beta at this stage. So I haven't updated my iPhone 4 to iOS 6 yet. I'll wait till I get my iPhone 5 when it ships in 2 weeks.
I'm sure the Apple Map app will improve as time goes on and they get feedback from users just like Google did when they did their maps. I am looking forward to trying out the turn by turn navigation. I won't trust it yet! But I'm curious.
Edit: I just saw a Samsung Commercial at the end of The Big Bang Theory tonight, never saw it before. It's a pretty on target snipe at the people waiting in line for the iPhone 5. They took all the shots at Apple. It was amusing to watch. But whose really going to get the last laugh here. Friday should be a massive day for Apple!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
8 pages of breathless adulaion ending with "I wish Apple would take more chances". /facepalm
http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/21/3363238/iphone-5-review
Mine hit B'more at 7:28, hope I am not waiting all day.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I did a test last night on the maps app. Fiance didn't know anything was different except that the directions now looked better. I know it's exploding everywhere that the "maps" sucks, and I'm not defending them giving us a lesser product, but I still think the average joe schmo will not even know a difference.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
iPhone 5 drop test done by Android fans, pretty surprising results:

Spoiler alert: I'm not gonna get a case until I decide if the new Mophie makes sense any more for all weekend battery life.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just got out of the Century City Apple Store line with 400 of my closest friends. Syncing from backup as we speak. I'll have more impressions later as I get used to using it, but the reduction in weight is something that is not trivial. They managed to make it lighter but still feel like a solid piece of engineering.
My only disappointment so far is that they had zero accessories for it, so no case, no film, no protection whatsoever. I'm going to be treating this thing like it's made of glass...oh wait, it is. :D
Yes I'm going to be the dork with the plastic still attached to his iPhone for the near future. :D
And yes, while the new Maps app is pretty, it is far behind Google in terms of accuracy of mapping. I do appreciate though that it has traffic closures on it whereas Google Maps didn't.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
abequjeb.jpg

It's here!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
You would think with all those leaks they would of gone ahead and let case makers get started early!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
A lot of cool tips here.
http://www.macstories.net/tutorials/ios-6-tips-tricks-hidden-features/
A coworker just showed me how to put a neat little button on screen that replaces the home button, that's at the bottom of accessibility. Good alternative.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Bookmarked - thanks Sam! :)
And thanks Ron - congrats on your Galaxy purchase! I'm hoping I'll be as happy with my 5. I will say that for my hand size, I'm really digging the new form factor. I like being able to reach across the device with one hand if needed, and if it were wider, I wouldn't be able to do that comfortably. Again, a highly personal preference I admit.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I'm all done and setup with my new phone. I love the lightness of this phone. So much to learn right now as far as features.

Crawdaddy

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Man, I usually slap a case on my iPhone ASAP but this thing is so thin and light I really don't want to lose that by adding weight to it with a case...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Oh and LTE is crap-your-pants fast! Just wondering how long it will take the X millions of iPhone 5s sold this weekend to bring AT&T's network to its knees... :D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
CONFIRMED: audio through the included lightning port/usb adapter works. I plugged it into my car and the system recognized the iPhone (as an iPod) and could play and navigate the songs in it, just like it was the previous version. Album art came through and voice activation (through the car's audio system) worked just fine.:tu:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks