What's new

The Inside (1 Viewer)

Eric C D

Second Unit
Starts tonight, 8 June. Whedon alum alert!

Tim Minear is given Creator status after a huge rewrite to the concept. Also uses writers Ben Edlund (The Tick!), Jane Espenson, and David Fury. And Adam Baldwin plays a character named Danny Love.

I'm not one to dwell in the past - I miss Buffy and Angel but they had good runs. I absolutely think Firefly should have been given more of a chance. Didn't get into Wonderfalls.

But I want to know what these talented "kids" are *interested* in doing next. Hope the network suits give them enough room to show their stuff.

enjoy,

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
I am excited about this show I hope it rocks, I hope it gets a chance. I hope people don't watch that celebrity dancing show instead. Everyone check it out!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The TV Gal on zap2it wasn't all that happy with the first 4 episodes, but hopefully if Fox will let them gain their footing, the later episodes will click better.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Minear, the show starts tonight and I don't recall reading him bitch about the timeslot yet. Has he turned over a new leaf?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Damn, I missed it tonight! :frowning: Hopefully FOX will re-run it, though.

Also, who's the blonde that plays the main charactor? She's cute as hell!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The psyche-out wasn't all that clever (saw it coming from a mile away).

Adam Baldwin is wasted on this show (so far).

I didn't think Rachel Nichols had enough presence to "carry" this show (even with Peter Coyote on board).

Jay Harrington is still pretty bland to me.

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
It wasn't bad, it wasn't great either. Will be watching. It had some good moments but I hope every ep isnt filmed the same way with the fancy editing and etc. TV Gal said it gets better i guess hehe. I'll give it a chance.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
To me, the first episode of The Inside felt like Millennium/X-Files meets CSI/NCIS. I think that this show has a lot of potential but this episode was pretty much standard crime show fare. I am going to continue watching to see just where it goes. Peter Coyote was pretty interesting to watch and I agree that Adam Baldwin should have been put to better use. Rachel Nichols was very easy on the eyes and Katie Finneran had a certain "Dana Scully" quality to her (hopefully she becomes a more prominent character in the future).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this show improves in the coming weeks. Of course, just as I really start to like it, Fox will pull the plug like they have done so many times before to shows that I have liked.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Wow, I must be in the minority on this one. I thought the pilot was pretty damn good. I thought the twist in the beginning with Alvarez was really clever. The ending was a bit cliché but the actress playing Locke gave it a new twist with her acting choices. She was the most interesting part of the show, imho, with Katie Finneran's psych Melody running a close second. I can't wait for ep 2! :emoji_thumbsup:

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
I liked it, for a summer show, it was a cut above the rest, its a real show that has a shot to find its footing, and make its way into the Fox fall/winter schedule.

I thought it had a mix of Without a Trace and Silence of the Lambs.

They could do a better job of fleshing out the storylines, but the premise could be a decent one.

Will defintely tune in for the summer to see where it goes.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
I liked it too. The ending was obvious, but I don't think they were going for a surprise or anything like that, it was more to show that Coyote's character is a little unconventional.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Well, considering it was given a Wednesday slot, Jason, Minear shouldn't be bitching too much. The ratings weren't spectacular, but considering the lead in was a set of reruns I'm not sure what FOX was expecting. Summer shows should premiere in the 8/7 slot.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed quite a bit. Definitely some rough spots but it was the pilot and it shows a lot of potential. Favorably reminded me of an early X-Files episode.

I really liked the show's atmosphere. Some of it was the now-cliched Seven type of cinematography (which is admittedly effective) but it also had some vibe from one of my favorite movies, Manhunter. I also liked the overall production design asthetic- the FBI offices looked much older and lived-in than the typical high-tech, very clean look so common on shows like this.

I liked most of the casting but I'm not sold on the lead yet. She seems suitably off-kilter for the part but didn't have a lot of charisma to show through. I'll be interested to see if that changes as the show progresses.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I enjoyed the pilot and even my wife enjoyed it, though she won't be watching it. She loved Buffy and Angel and Firely but in those cases, it was easier to watch gory stuff when it was vampires, ghouls or Reavers doing the nasty stuff. That said, there were some inspired bits of dialogue here and there and I thought the dynamic between Peter Coyote and everyone else was cool and kind of creepy. How deep his game goes will be revealed by season's end, I am sure (if it gets a season).

I loved Adam Baldwin though, to be fair, his line readings and use seemed a bit too close to his role in Firefly. The actress playing Locke seemed a bit...well, vague. She wasn't bad but she was so cold and distant I wonder how an audience will come to sympathize with her. My hope is as her old wounds are opened (and hopefully healed a bit) she will warm up a little. She seemed almost robotic at points...like the lady playing the new Terminator in the 3rd movie of that series.

If they can avoid some of the stereotypical pitfalls of these kinds of procedurals (the tepid romance between the two hot leads being the first obvious one they are going to cross) it could be cool. I hope they get their own tone, too. The scene transitions looked pretty much the same as those in Angel. In fact, the whole show felt like an Angel episode...except with a lack of Vampires in it. Granted, it is shot in L.A. so the settings will be similar but the whole stylized look of the scenes, transitions, feel of the city, all were too close to Angel. They need to get their own voice.

Sadly, while the writing team has huge potential they are going to have to find ways to make it different than all the other police procedurals and that will be its biggest challenge. They might pull it off with some quirky writing and some non-traditional characters but we will have to see. I hope it works because what was there, though rough, seemed pretty interesting.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I read a review in the San Francisco Chronicle and they did not say good things about it. They said the lead actress was miscast and that originally, I guess, the show had a different premise until Minear was brought in and she was hired for that.
I have it tivo'd but have not watched it yet.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Well, the original premise was something akin to 21 Jump Street with her going undercover in high school or, something to that effect. Based on the pilot, I think she would have been *worse* in that environment. She comes off suitably off-kilter in The Inside but its her possible lack of charisma that concerns me long term.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
Based on the first episode, I dont like the show. Rachel Nicholsdidnt seem to work for me. I dont care enough about the characters. The supporting cast didnt do a whole lot. Most first episodes dont seem to work for me. I'll continue to watch a couple more episodes to see if things improve.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
3.2/6 national rating

This puppy is toast..I give it 6 episodes.

This is the norm for fox shows..it seems to be a moot point even discussing new shows on fox anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks