What's new

The Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Show (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Pretty cool. I've never even heard of it, but I'll pick it up for sure. 70's stuff on dvd rules!!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

I'm certainly on board with this one, if for no other reason, for Rod Hull and Emu! They don't make kids programming like this anymore, unfortunately!

Wonder why only one of the previous prime-time effort is included? One of the news sources (not TVShowsOnDVD) implied that the other prime-time editions have gone missing. Pity!

BTW, does anyone know if this is the same Saturday morning show that had a running-sketch featuring a character called the "quack doctor"? That's something my mother seems to remember and she thinks it came from this show (she thought it was from the same series that had Rod and Emu). I was too little to remember for sure myself.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
This is great! :) Loved The Show!

Seems to be from a Canadian company - it might have been easier for them to clear the music.

Alot of the folks from "The Sonny & Cher Show" worked on the series,too!

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Count me in for this one, definitely!

I am utterly amazed to learn that these shows STILL EXIST, let alone that they're coming out on DVD! (I know one episode was circulating from a B/W kinescope, but that was all.)

Two questions, then...will we at some point see:

(1) The Harlem Globetrotters Popcorn Machine (?)

(2) Bonkers (1978 Hudson Brothers series) (?)

paste

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David

That sounds like Wacko, which had the same producer/creator as the Hudson Brothers' show, and aired on Sat. mornings a few years later. I don't think they were regulars, but I believe Rod and the Emu showed up a few times on Wacko.

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen

Those were the same questions I had when I heard about this release. I actually remember Bonkers more than Razzle Dazzle, especially the recurring skit about the sliding house.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I say mini review because I've just watched the first disc.

Well...where do I begin? This show is...well...very 70s and very silly. I know it was a kids show and I do remember watching this occasionally when I was a kid. However, to be perfectly honest, the show is better in hindsight. Unlike other kids shows, there really isn't much here for adults to enjoy. Any kid over the age of 12 would probably find this to be very boring.

Don't get me wrong. The show (at least what I've seen of it so far) does have its moments. Rod Hull and his Emu are quite funny at times. The Hudson Brothers are certainly fun to see again, but the main problem I have with the show is that it doesn't vary from the formula. At least not much. Every episode is practically the same as the one before it. Which doesn't make for marathon viewing all that enjoyable.

The picture quality is pretty good for a 30 year old 70s kids show. There doesn't appear to be any color bleeding. And speaking of the color...good lord the colors on this show are loud. This show makes those Krofft shows like HR Pufnstuf and The Bugaloos look dull in comparison. I mean, honestly. Really bright, eye popping color(think Brady Bunch Variety Hour and you'll get a pretty good idea of the color scheme used on this show). You almost need to wear sunglasses while watching this. Or ear plugs because the colors are so loud. Which is one of the things that I'm really enjoying about this show. Visually it is certainly not dull. The only issues I noticed with the video were the animated segments just before and just after the commercial breaks. These were a bit on the grainy side and there is quite a bit of visible dirt on the prints. This clears up once the picture disolves back into the 'live' portions of the show so this grain and dirt appears to be something that was present even during the shows original broadcasts and not due to age of the source material.

The sound is crisp and clear. I don't have to have my TV volume up really loud to hear and understand everything that is being said. With one small exception. During the opening segment when the cast is being introduced I still can't quite catch the name of the young lady in the cast. This might be more the fault of the announcer talking so fast versus any audio faults in the source material.

The Hudsons do sing one song at the beginning of each show. Sometimes these are cover tunes or songs from their albums. Since their album Hollywood Situation came out while this was on the air, the brothers perform several songs off the album. If you are wondering which episode has their hit 'So You Are A Star' then watch episode 4 on disc 1. The song is performed complete and uncut. Their album Ba-Fa was also in production while the Hudsons were doing this show (I believe that it was also released during the run of this show) but I don't know if their 2nd top 40 hit, Rendezvous, is also performed on the show. I certainly hope so as this is my favorite of the Hudson's songs.

All in all I'd give the release a four star rating (out of a possible 5). I would give it 5 stars if the show was just a tad bit more humorous but again this was for kids and not adults. I give the picture quality and sound 5 stars.

I'm really glad that this has been released on DVD inspite of the fact that I really can't believe that it was even released in the first place. If you watched this as a kid then it will definately bring back some fond memories for you. While I doubt that I will be rewatching this show all that much, it's still nice to have in any 70s TV collection. Young kids will certainly enjoy watching it because the colors will keep their eyes glued to the set and adults may (and probably will) find most the antics a bit silly. The bottom line is that it's a great piece of nostalgia but not much more than that.

On a side note, I checked with Amazon this morning and they are already sold out of their stock of this set. Looks like this was a bigger seller than I anticipated. Shows how much I know about the power of a really silly 30 year old kids show.

paste

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
I just got in my copy today and have been kind of skipping through the various discs and I noticed that three different episodes (12, 15, and 16) featured the same song and performance.

Throughout episodes 12 and 16, they are wearing the same outfits, so it isn't as noticeable, but in episode 15, they are wearing totally different outfits, so the repeated clip stood out. I'm guessing that there might have been problems with the rights to whatever song they performed in ep. 15.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I finished watching the entire set (including the bonus features) and well, all I can say is that was an experience. By the time that I got to the final disc I was getting pretty bored with this show.

The picture quality started to show a bit of wear on a couple of episodes on the second and third dics. There were noticible...glitches isn't the right word...but more like scratches in the picture. Not big enough to be a problem when viewing because they were contained to just a couple of spots and not the whole picture.

Additionally, as paste pointed out, the last two episodes have repeat parts from earlier episodes. The song Coochie Coochie Coo is seen in episodes 12, 15 and 16. Additionally, episode 15 repeates the same Rod Hull skecth as seen in episode 12. Episode 15 is the most noticeable of the substitutions that were made when, I'm guessing, that music couldn't be cleared. In fact episode 15 starts out with the Hudson's starting to sing a song (and they are wearing pink, yellow and white striped sweaters) when they stop singing because Mark is thirsty and wants a strawberry soda. Then a weird bit happens. Mark gets his soda and then they say something like 'Let's sing' and there is a really quick edit. Suddenly the Hudsons are now wearing yellow, green and white striped sweaters. Very noticeable. On episode 16, the same opeing from episode 12 (after the Razzle Dazzle opening of course) is used again (including the same jokes with Fabulous Freddie) and the Coochie Coochie Coo song again. However, the Rod Hull sketch is one that hadn't been seen before.

So, all in all episode 15 is missing the original song and original Rod Hull sketch and episode 16 is missing the entire opening segment and original song is missing. In each case the opening song from episode 12 is used.

Again, I don't know if this is because they couldn't get music clearance or not. It could also be that since the single for Coochie Coochie Coo was released during the run of this show they wanted to take advantage of the show and just use the same performance three times as a cheap way to promote the single. The Bugaloos did this a couple of times as well. This would also cut down on production costs since new opening segments wouldn't have to be filmed. Especially if this close to the end of production they were running out of money. I don't know the real story behind this, but what ever the reason when watching these episodes back to back things like this really stand out. I'd like to think that this was just a cheap way to save costs and promote the Coochie Coochie Coo single at the same time. With the small budget that childrens TV usually gets, I can totally see them cutting corners whenever and wherever they could.

As for the bonus features on the set, well the extra Chuckie Margolis segments from the primetime Hudson Brothers Show were much more fun than the Razzle Dazzle segments. 'The Best of' moments from the Hudson Brothers Show weren't all that great. If these segments are considered 'the best' then I can see why CBS decided to put the Hudsons on Saturday Mornings. They certainly were more kid friendly. And they worked better as a Saturday Morning kids act then they did as a primetime family show. I'm sure adults were bored stiff watching The Hudson Brothers Show.

I do find the set to be a fun trip down memory lane, but it's really not much more than that. Kids under 12 will like it but adults will probably be bored. It works best as just a bit of nostalgia. To be honest, for me, the show was better as a memory and I didn't have all that much fun revisiting it. However, that is just my opinion. I'm sure others will feel differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.