What's new

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) (2 Viewers)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Brian W: People are saying this, but lighthearted is not my recollection of the book at all.
I just finished reading The Hobbit for the 2nd time (the first time was after seeing the movie) and you're right, it's not lighthearted! Oh, there are some amusing bits (I laughed when I found out "how the game of golf was invented", but even that involved a beheaded man!) but on the whole, it's dark and scary. It's just not *as* dark and scary as the next 3 books, which is why it seems lighthearted in comparison. You hit all the dark bits with your post (you have a good memory). I'd guess it was intended for adolescents, at the youngest, and not meant to be a "children's book."

I hope it gets made, but only with Jackson and WETA's involvement.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
But that was for screenplay, not directing
Eh, doesn't matter. I never met anyone that saw Heavenly Creatures and said, "Well, it's got a good script but if only it was better directed!" ;) The screenplay nomination was well deserved but Jackson's direction of the film is usually the cited as the most distinguised aspect of the film. Not the first time an unfamiliar director has had to settle for a nomination like that as a consolation prize.
But the point I read was that Jackson had basically not done anything before LOTR, which ignores the acclaim he's had pretty much ever since his career started. Looking at Jackson's career, I would say that LOTR is a culmination of what his career had been building to, and not some case of a guy basically coming out of nowhere from a string of crap or mediocre movies and then and suddenly shocking everyone by actually making something great (btw, I know there are people that like to dismiss his early splatter movies, but the thing is that even those are actually well made films within the limitations of their budgets and circumstances, which is a big part of how Jackson got recognition to begin with).

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
For all the world though, PJ can make The Hobbit darker and more mature than it is without turning it into a joke. With the enormity of LOTR it would be most important for The Hobbit to be consistent with the visual style of the trilogy. Without that any production of The Hobbit becomes an also-ran and not a prequel. The best commercial success for the film will come if there is that continuity and it can only come from PJ. I'm not saying he's the only director who can pull it off, I'm saying that because he's doing LOTR that he has to do The Hobbit.
Yes I do think PJ would do the best job. The story of The Hobbit could be very dark and chilling. Tolkien himself regretted that he made it so much of a children's story but felt that fantasy wouldn't be published unless it was, ostensibly, a work for children.
.... There is more to The Hobbit than meets the eye and I doubt PJ misses it too. I think he's just burned-out for now.
smiley_bat.gif
Jason_Els
smiley_bat.gif

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Spielberg would have been a more interesting choice than Chris Columbus.
Perhaps, but I doubt he would have been better. Columbus literally brought the book to life, for me atleast. All of the clunkiness in the film can be attributed to Kloves' script, which shines for the key moments from the book, but does a less than able job of condensing (why did he put Norbert in at all?)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.mckellen.com/epost/lotr/l021029.htm
This is the latest on the Hobbitt and a very long reply. Who knows ?
Q: When Peter Jackson announced he was doing Lord of the Rings, he said that if the trilogy was successful, he would go back and do The Hobbit. It has been a couple of years since this was brought up--i.e. FAQ--so I pose the question again Sir Ian. Have you heard anything recently about bringing The Hobbit to the screen, and would you be interested in reprising your role? Also do you think that Ian Holm would be interested in coming back to be the younger Bilbo, as he plays the younger Bilbo in the Lord of the Rings prologue? P.s. My wife wants to know if they gave you an extra bit of length for your nose in the Gandalf make-up---she says yes and I say no.
A: I recently asked about the film rights to The Hobbit, which seem to be somewhat controlled by Peter Jackson, as far as I can tell. I hope that's the case because obviously he should have first refusal at translating the novel into a movie
just follow the link for much more

Reni D

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering that with all the success of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and the excellent job that Peter Jackson has done, has there been any talk about going back and doing The Hobbit prelude to the Lord of the Rings.

I would love Peter Jackson to do this movie after Return of the King.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
I dunno...but I know that if he does, it won't be his next project. Actually, if he could find a suitable replacement director, I'd think Jackson could just produce and co-write the movie...

Also, they'd have to either get Ian Holm to do 9-10 months of shooting with his face stretched back, or find someone who looks/sounds like a younger Ian Holm; and they'd need to see if Ian McKellen, Hugo Weaving, and Andy Serkis would want to do it...

Phil Dally

Stunt Coordinator
Also, they'd have to either get Ian Holm to do 9-10 months of shooting with his face stretched back, or find someone who looks/sounds like a younger Ian Holm; and they'd need to see if Ian McKellen, Hugo Weaving, and Andy Serkis would want to do it...

I'm sure they would enjoy doing it for a piece of the pie. I must agree though, that a younger Gandalf and a younger Bilbo would be a problem. As much as Hugo Weaving had aged from the Great War to The Two Towers, I think he aged gracefully. As for Gollum....well

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
As I remember, Gandalf is very very old, and 60 years isn't very long to him, so he probably looked the same during the time of The Hobbit, so McKellen could probably reprise the role...

...also, I wonder if Jackson would try to get John Rhys-Davies (as Gloin, or better yet, Thorin), and Orlando Bloom (since Legolas is a Mirkwood elf, I'm sure someone on the production would probably get the idea to add a scene where he meets Bilbo in the Elvenking's halls)...

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
Don't forget Christopher Lee and Cate Blanchett. If the movie shows the attack on Dol Guldor, which takes place during the events of the Hobbit, then Saruman and Galadriel will be there in addition to Gandalf and Elrond.

Kami

Screenwriter
I'm not sure if I'd be able to stomach anyone else other than PJ & WETA doing The Hobbit :frowning:

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
And even for Ian Holm, they can do wonders with make-up. Look how they made him age during FotR.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yes, Gandalf is NOT an old man who should look "younger" in the Hobbit. The Istari had the form of old human men from when they first came to middle-earth at the beginning of the third age.
For God's sake, man. Read your Bible! ;)

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Read all about it here. I really don't have much else to say. Um...I'm uh..kinda drawing a blank. Aargon is cool? I heart Frodo? Screw it just read the article.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
if Christopher Tolkien is the roadblock, then the roadblock isn't getting cleared. Point blank. The guy disowns family over this stuff, I don't know if there's enough money to chuck at him to allow Jackson to adapt it.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I know this is going to sound cruel, but Christopher Tolkien is 79 years old. He won't be around forever (his father died at age 81). New Line's best strategy may be to just wait.
Having said that, he'll probably live into his 100s. :D

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I thought Miramax still held the rights to this, from back when Jackson and Co. were considering making it intead of LOTR. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks