What's new

The HitchHiker HBO -series coming to DVD!!! (1 Viewer)

T r o y

Supporting Actor
The HBO series , The Hitchhiker, comes to DVD on March 16th !!
Here's the news according to the DVDfile:

"Next up is the DVD debut of the long-running erotic anthology series The Hitchhiker. This steamy cable staple arrives on March 16th with a two-disc set featuring the series' first ten episodes, each remastered in 4:3 full screen and Dolby Digital 5.1. Extras include audio commentaries on five episodes by such directors as Paul Verhoeven and Phillip Noyce, plus deleted scenes. Retail will be $34.95."

Anyone a fan of this late 70's - early 80's HBO series ?? What is your favorite episode of the series?
I thought it was a well done series that had some pretty good chilling/thrilling moments to some of it's episodes.

Looking forward to picking this one up.

Later!
Troy

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Nonetheless, David, those of us who do frequent TVShowsOnDVD saw it a while back when it was posted. It's certainly good news -- better news would be a better release type for the series.

Just give me the freakin' '80s Twilight Zone already! It's driving me crazy not being able to watch them!! Night Gallery, too!

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator
This series popped up on one of the HBO channels a few months back...it wasn't really as well crafted as one might remember, though it did bring back memories. Time is never kind!

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I just rented the 2 DVD set...

Many of the episodes it seems are from the later seasons 1987-1990...

As a matter of fact, there are no episodes from Seasons 1 or 2 at all on this set...

Some of the episodes were ok on this set, but I will have to get the Season 1-3 set from Canada (Canada's Season 1) when it comes out to see if the earlier episodes still hold up well...

I dont know how this is a best of set??? Many of the episodes here (6 or 7) didnt belong here at all... Most seemed to have just been picked out at random from the later seasons...

They even had the nerve to include one of the horrifying USA episodes... Talk about disrespect to the fanbase...

I was interested in seeing the 1983-1985 Seasons 1/2 episodes... Not one appears on this set...

T r o y

Supporting Actor
What's the latest on this series coming to DVD?
The one that just came out , i'm not interested in. The top ten best ... yeah right!

I want to see the series released by season. Any luck that we'll see this ?

Yall's thoughts please ?

Thanks
troy

T r o y

Supporting Actor
David,

How will this set be different from say the US 1st season set if and when it ever comes out? Since it's canadian,
will there be anything that differs from it's US counterpart?
thanks
troy

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Complete details of the Canadian set are here...it's 26 eps on 3 discs, the entire first season! Won't be for sale in the USA, but you can order it from the link at the bottom of the page I linked to, and it will work in any R1 player.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Dave:
I guess I wasn't clear. What I was looking for was a list of episodes that are on the US set that HBO Video put out, because, like you say, the Canadian set is simply collects the first 26 episodes (actaully, the first three seasons if you go by the US episode guides).

As the US set skips around, I was wondering which episodes were on that set to see if it's worth picking up. That would depend on how many episodes on taht set are simply duplicates of what will be on the Canadian set.

"Why would anybody pick up the US set?" you may ask. As you reported on TVShowsOnDVD, Kock, for some reason doesn't have the rights to US season 4 (Canadian season 2, the last 13 shows made by HBO). These episodes are also not available for syndication in Canada. That leads me to believe these 13 shows will not be put out by Koch in Canada. If there are a lot of season 4 (2) episodes on the US set, it might be worth getting (I remember liking "Minuteman" quite a bit).

T r o y

Supporting Actor
My favorite episode is "When Morning Comes" .
I think one of the very first epi's of the first season.
this one really got my attention especially the blonde hitchhiker the guy picked up that had huge knockers when they were getting it "on" on the floor.
Cool Episode! :emoji_thumbsup:

Peace!
Troy

Louis_P

Stunt Coordinator
I just got the set in the mail today! I've never seen this show before.The set comes in 3 single dvd cases with a paper box that slides over the 3 dvd cases.Pretty cheap paper box.But for $25 it's well worth it.I only watched the 1st episode the one T r o y's talking about.The quality is real good and decent for the really low price.So you guy's should dig it.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I ordered the Canadian set as well.

Havent received it yet. I am in the US and it has to ship from Canada. Looking foward to it. What a great price as well.

The US set has so much less and costs more.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I only watched the 1st episode the one T r o y's talking about.The quality is real good and decent for the really low price.So you guy's should dig it.
If you've watched "When Morning Comes", I have a question:

Which version of the episode did they include? The original version of this episode (and "Shattered Vows" and "Split Decision") starred Nicholas Campbell as the hitchhiker.

When the show was syndicated, Campbell's scenes were replaced with newly-shot scenes of Page Fletcher.

So, for the three 1983 shows, did they give us the original Campbell episodes, or the re-done Fletcher ones?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I own the U.S. release (ordered it before I knew it was not the first season, and forgot to cancel the order). Here are the episodes:

Last Scene
Nightshift
The Miracle of Alice Ames
Ghostwriter
Man's Best Friend
W.G.O.D.
The Legendary Billy B.
Homebodies
Why Are You Here?
In The Name Of Love

I've only watched Last Scene so far, which was directed by Paul Verhoeven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks