What's new

The green light came on for my ADSL! (1 Viewer)

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
That's great, Bruce.
icon14.gif
Is ADSL the same as DSL?
------------------
Best, Sam

TheoGB

Screenwriter
ADSL stands for Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line and is the term used her in the UK (poss. Europe). The I believe the 'Asymmetric' comes from the fact that the rates of upload and download are not the same (download being faster).
Why it is always called DSL in the States I do not know. Possibly it's simply quicker or maybe there's no difference between upload and download rates.
Incidentally, why do you get phone charges so high, Phillip? I pay an all inclusive £20 a month for my ADSL...
------------------
My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
My Novelty Coasters

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Bruce:
laugh.gif
That was the exact same feeling I got when i came home from school one day, plugged the line into the modem (after 5 days of setting up), and BING, the green light was on!!!
biggrin.gif
its great aint it?
------------------
The So Family Home Theater!
http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
Birthday: November 29 (Sagittarius)
Horoscope:
Sagittarius - You are very sexy and women are attracted to you.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Now that you are connected 24/7 I highly suggest you look at installing some sort of firewall either hardware based like a router or software based like black ice defender (freeware). You won't believe the crap that will come knocking at your door.
------------------
http://www.mts.net/~glendap/

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Recommend Linksys router. Kills a whole pile of shit that otherwise comes down on your doorstep.
Mike

Bruce Abar

Stunt Coordinator
Oh ya, I had to wait a long 5 days! I'm very concerned with hackers now, if someone could give me some links to programs I can download(downloading is no problem now), I would be apprieceated it. Now that I have to discontinual my service with Uniserve, does anyone know if my email address will be lost as well? I have a new one, but I would like to keep my old one as well([email protected]).
------------------
Bruce
http://bruceabar.tripod.com/theabarshometheater/

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I'm paying about 50$ a month for the DSL line and my ISP, with taxes and everything my DSL service, and a single phone line ith no options besides caller ID my monthly bill is right about $100
the phone line is neccessary for DSL.. I don't even use it
[Edited last by Philip_G on November 16, 2001 at 06:49 PM]

EugeneR

Second Unit
BRUCE:
www.zonelabs.com
A free software firewall that is considered by many to be the best software firewall. When not using your internet connection, you may also want to consider logging off, or shutting off your modem.
I seriously doubt that you will be able to keep your old e-mail address.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Bruce,
Welcome to the Telus ADSL club. I've had it for over two years now. Definitely get a firewall right now. The best one out there is actually free. Goto:
www.zonealarm.com
And download ZoneAlarm near the bottom of the page. That's the free one. There's also a ZoneAlarm Pro that you can pay for. This thing is top notch and has always been rated that way. Until you get this I wouldn't leave my computer running. Lots of hackers and such out there. And make sure you have good virus protection software like Norton AntiVirus.
Patrick
------------------
Evidence of my obsession.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Bruce,
It only restricts or actually completely hides your existance on the net which is what you want. It throws away any unrequested pings that hit your IP address so it appears that no one is there.
You can turn off the automatic pop up that comes up. I would do so if I were you. You can just log all the attempts and view them when you feel like it. When that Code Red worm was around I received over 500 alerts a day.
The other useful thing about ZoneAlarm is that it alerts you when a program on your computer tries to access the net. Sometimes you get these programs that basically send out info about what your doing without you knowing. CuteFTP was one of them. This way if a window pops up asking you if this or that program can access the net you know it and can tell it yes or no.
Patrick
------------------
Evidence of my obsession.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I also shut off the pop-up on Zone Alarm, since I get about 20 hits a day on my cable modem attached PC. The Zone Alarm icon in the system tray will have a red light whenever you received a hit, so you can look at your leisure.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 1

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Wow, guys. I've had DSL for 6 months and didn't know Zonealarm even existed. Man, I need to get out more. Thanks.
------------------
...I could go on, but I need to take a shit.
-Jason Whyte on "Corky Romano"

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Welcome to the world of ADSL Bruce!! It's a move you wont regret! *I'm a TELUS employee, so I might be a teeny bit biased*
Zone Alarm is a great firewall, just turn off the popups and create a log file if you really want.
Which modem did they give you? the D-Link?? Hope they didn't give you one of the old Daytek's. They were not the greatest piece of hardware ever made, if you know what I mean! :)
As mentioned, ADSL Asymetric Digital Subscriber Line. All this means is the upload and download are at different speeds. People hardly upload so this wont matter in most cases. There are many different types of DSL but this is the most common (only?) consumer version in Canada. It's also possible(?) that this is what most people have in the States, but it's just always referred to as DSL.
Make sure you get Norton Antivirus too. There have been a lot of worms circulating around here. I use Norton 2000 and it seems very effective, and also gives you access to 'LiveUpdate' which updates your virus definition files.
As for your Uniserve address, unless you keep subscribing, they will most likely use your old email address if someone wants it. Any particular reason why you want to keep it? Is it just for the transition to your new TELUS address? If so we have a link on our www.TELUS.net website that automatically sends out a change of address email to each address you input. It might only be for Shaw customers (I haven't seen it yet) but I'll check it out and get back to you. or it's nothing to just send out a bulk email to everyone in your address book in Outlook instead.
[Edited last by Paul McGowan on November 17, 2001 at 11:57 PM]

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
aDSL is great! until the phone bill comes
I wish I could pay for DSL. QWest, my POS telco, doesn't offer it. Dialup is limited to 24K on a good day due to the poor excuse for a phone network they have here. Cable isn't here and won't be for "another year now" (they've been saying that for 3 years). My only option is a low end business class connection that runs me $120 a month. Yeah, I get 1Mbps in both directions, static IPs, etc, so I can run all of my own servers (fun stuff, err, I enjoy it anyway
crazy.gif
), but I'd rather drop back to a basic ~700k DSL connection for one third the price. You people with your $50/month and under DSL links make me jealous.
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Ryan - I get all my US tv networks (except a few) from Spokanne and have been noticing the commercials for QWest and their prices for DSL are higher in USD than we are here in CND.
Might as well move to Vancouver or Calgary?? :) ?? That's two things we generally get cheaper - DSL and DVD's!! :) I'm alright with that!
biggrin.gif

------------------
McPaul.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks