What's new

the greatest guitar album of all time... (1 Viewer)

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood

Yep, I met Caleb just about 2 years ago. He does full time worship music now and teaching about playing music and being in bands (mostly church bands) all over the country. My church music leader actually played drums with him for a few minutes during the weekend. Caleb is a really nice guy, signed my guitar and everything. He does actually have an album of Christmas tunes on iTunes, I haven't gotten it yet, as I'll wait till Christmas.

There isn't many people Caleb didn't play with, he played on "Wild Thing", "Coconut" by Harry Nilsson and more, he barely talks about those days though. Apparently he's still on friendly terms with Elton and is friends with Chester Thompson (who played drums with just about everyone, including Genesis).

Watching him play, he plays guitar very similar to Eric Clapton, slowhand-ish, nothing over powering like Hendrix or SRV, but melodic and bluesy, he had a sweet guitar and you would never know he was from England, he's lived in America for a number of years now apparently.

He quickly became a favorite of mine after meeting him. :)

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
If we're going to discuss this, we probably need to break it down to best rock guitar album, best acoustic album, best country album, etc.

My all time favorite guitar album would probably Eric Johnson's Ah Via Musicom. Some people might prefer a Chet Atkins or a Les Paul album . It probably depends on era you grew up in. When I have some extra money, I'm going to try to mine the back catalogs of those two guys, as well as Wes Montgomery.

If you like Chet and Les, please take a listen to Johnny A. He's on Steve Vai's Favored Nations label. He has a really sweet tone and his songs really swing. www.johnnya.com

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Interesting timing, as the cover story in last month's issue of Guitar World was "The 100 Greatest Guitar Albums of All Time." The article and list were actually better than expected (although they had their fair share of head-scratchers).

And Guitar Hero II comes out next month! :D

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Dude, you must be psychic! :D

The top 10:
  1. Led Zeppelin IV
  2. Appetite for Destruction
  3. Are You Experienced
  4. Master of Puppets
  5. Dark Side of the Moon
  6. Paranoid
  7. Van Halen
  8. Nevermind
  9. Physical Graffiti
  10. Revolver

No surprises. . .

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Take away "Nevermind" and that's a pretty good list. I don't care much for Nirvana, but don' hate them. I just can't see how anyone puts that album in a list of greatest guitar albums. Pearl Jam's "Ten" or something by Soundgarden, I could see.

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
I'm glad to see the first Van Halen album listed in the Top 10. I was just getting ready to post it myself.

Sure Eddie didn't invent tapping, but that album--and in particular, Eruption-- turned the guitar world upside down and influenced an entire generation of players.

Too bad Ed's gone all "eccentric" these days. :frowning:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I could never really accept the deification of Curt Cobain that went on after his death. I mean, he was a good songwriter and all, but people were getting totally out of control. At the time, I was in grad school at U. Miami School of Music (a very highly respected music school), and other students there were comparing him to John Lennon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks