What's new

the greatest guitar album of all time... (1 Viewer)

David Hobbes

Stunt Coordinator
ELECTRIC LADYLAND by Hendrix....

Any one who appreciates their rock and roll infused with heaping amounts of guitar must recognize the genius of hendrix on this album...

The guitar work is among other things : creative, experimental, bluesy, bombastic and haunting..

Check out

Still raining Still dreaming
House Burning Down
Gypsy Eyes
All Along the Watchtower
Voodoo Chile (Child)

and the solo at the 1:15 mark in COME ON is jaw dropping...

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
ELECTRIC LADYLAND sucks, it doesn't even have Red House on it. ;)

Would this be another good time to mention that I have 18 versions of Jimi playing Red House?

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
I've never been a big Jimi fan, thought he was pretty overrated. Not that I don't respect what he brought to the world of guitar.
As for guitar albums, nearly anything by Stevie Ray Vaughan, Joe Satriani, the first Boston album...

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Not a bad candidate!:cool: As a complete album with innovative guitar work it shone brightly in its day and still holds up as a lot more than an interesting milestone. Would that Jimi had lived, he may have made disco interesting!:laugh:

For me, the greatest guitar album of all time is Michael Hedges' Aerial Boundaries.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

http://www.nomadland.com/Point_A.htm

I still get goose bumps listening to it;) He transformed what the world thought of as acoustic guitar. Like Jimi and Eddie, there was guitar BEFORE Michael Hedges, and guitar AFTER Michael Hedges. They are different worlds.
Unfortunately, like Hendrix, Hedges passed prematurely, left us a legacy of work, and so many what ifs............

A link to my personal Hedges photos. I saw him many times and had the great pleasure of being able to photograph him. Check it out if interested.
http://www.pbase.com/harpozep/michael_hedges

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

See if you can find a copy of T-Ride. ;) (Barring that, you can find their song Luxury Cruiser on the soundtrack to Encino Man.)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Laughing is the best we can do, laughing and shaking our heads. Maybe some hand wringing.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood

As a guitar player, I've never found his stuff that good, I've always liked other people's version's of his songs better than his own.
I also don't think Jimmy Page was anything to write home about either, doesn't mean I don't like L.Z. songs.

I like different styles of guitar playing more quiet and/or stylistic, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, Jim Messina, so forth. Though I do like the explosive nature of SRV and John Petrucci and so forth.

I don't question the impact that Jimi has had on guitar as a whole, but I think there are far better guitar players that often go over-looked. Especially people like Jim Messina, Ricky Skaggs, and so forth.

Then again I never liked Janis Joplin either which my father still can't quite understand.

David Hobbes

Stunt Coordinator

if you are questioning his ability read the following quote:

"Hendrix had his techniques so refined as to be able to get feedback going on a two or three string chord, coax and develop and alter that, all the while playing lead on the other strings. That ability is what made many musicians listening to his albums wonder where the second or third guitar players were. It was inconceivable, at the time, to arrive at the actual conclusion--that there was only one guitar player."

Taken from the book: The Jimi Hendrix Companion.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
That brings up an interesting distinction: Best guitar player vs. best recorded studio performance. The latter category would include albums that include overdubs that add to the overall quality of the song but would be impossible to play live (or at least by one person). Examples might be A Night at the Opera by Queen's Brian May, or Led Zeppelin IV by Jimmy Page.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood

I think there are two camps, those who love Jimi and those that love Stevie Ray. I'm in the latter.

Its all preference, I respect that you like Jimi and I respect those that do.

Then there are guitar players like Caleb Quaye and Phil Keaggy, whom people barely remember or even know of. Phil maybe far more then Caleb at any rate.

Mike Wilk

Stunt Coordinator
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Frank Zappa's "Shut up and Play Your Guitar". I am also very fond of "Aerial Boundaries".

YMMV

RichP

Second Unit

There are three camps... those that love both. :)

Surprising that you like SRV and not Hendrix, seeing as how a lot of Stevie's technique was influenced heavily by Jimi.

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert

I gotta chime in here again! You know Caleb Quaye? Cool!
I loved what he brought to the early Elton John albums and welcomed his return on "Rock Of The Westies".
I think he played with Long John Baldry as well.
He reminds me of Richard Thompson in some ways, but Richard can overplay at times and Caleb plays just when it is needed.

Phil Can be a wonder as well. I prefer Hedges for the pioneering of what he did more so than Phil Keaggy and even more than Leo Kottke.
I guess I'm into the more understated style of playing that does not always have to hit you over the head, though Hedges could do both so well!

I too can respect folks who put Jimi on a shrine. He has had so much influence and did play phenomenally well.
Me, I actually saw Stevie Ray and loved it. My manager at my store saw Hendrix six times and has never been the same since:laugh: Actually he as seen Hendrix seven times but the last time was a private concert in his living room while special smoke and chemicals swirled around the room........:laugh:

Hedges had the same effect on folks who were listening. It is had to imagine all that music coming from one solo acoustic guitar. Some have followed in his footsteps, but none have his mojo. He was transcendent in his music.

" I play guitar because it lets me dream out loud"
"Heaven is all around,
Translated to sound."

Michael Hedges,
1953-1997.

Sleep well Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks