The Greatest American Hero - Complete Series (Mill Creek)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by thetoonguy, Mar 16, 2010.

1. thetoonguy

thetoonguy Auditioning

FYI, I was just at Best Buy today and they had The Greatest American Hero - Complete Series DVD set by Mill Creek already and at only $19.99. Glad that I didn't throw away the receipt from the First and Second season pack that I bought at Target in January... and that I hadn't started watching them yet.

2. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Is anyone able to compare this release to the old one? Is it an improvement in quality, or are we backsliding. Is the same music replaced?

3. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Cinematographer

Howie
    With the Anchor Bay "set" on 13 disks and the Mill Creek set on 9 I'd say a more compression for a "backslide"... but tvshowsondvd.com reports there's an interview with writer/producer Stephen J. Cannell plus it's a relatively mid-low budget 80's show so it could be a wash video quality wise.

Like thetoonguy I've not yet opened my Target 2-pak so I'll be paying the BB here a visit tomorrow to see if they have this for the same $19.99 price. At only an extra $7 for S3 it's worth the effort since it's only a couple of blocks from the comic store and Target is 4 doors up from BB.

4. BobO'Link

Howie
    This is not out yet at the BB here... and the employees had no clue what I was talking about (imagine that...).

5. kemcha

kemcha Second Unit

Bob, I can absolutely confirm that Best Buy does indeed have this set in their stores. I was visiting the local store here in Flint Michigan that they are indeed selling the Complete series sets. I saw several copies on their shelves for $19.99.

What you need to realize is that not all stores will have them in. I know that the local store in my area routinely violates street dates.

6. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Screenwriter

Robert
    I just picked this up at Best Buy, and the complete series had a "Best Buy Exclusive" sticker on the front of it.

So, is this really a case of Best Buy breaking street date, or were they given permission to sell the complete series for a couple months before the general release?

7. gary674

gary674 Auditioning

The "Best Buy exclusive" states this collector's set contains "all 43" episodes. There were 45 episodes in total. Which 2 episodes are missing?

Did they combine eps #1 and #2 (as they were part#1 & #2 of the pilot? Did they omit eps #45 "the greatest american heroine"?

Also, as this Mill Creek set has 9 DVDs and the Starz/Anchor Bay set had 13 DVDs, how much "softer" is the detail?

For ex, the ADV Films version of Farscape S1-4 (2002-2004, 41 DVDs) has more detail than the A&E version (2009, 26 DVDs). Very noticable on my 42" Panasonic Plasma.

8. BobO'Link

Howie
    Picked up the lone copy on the shelf here this morning. Now I'm curious as to just what's not included from the previous set and why it's labeled "Best Buy Exclusive" when it's already listed at amazon...

9. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

I have the three individual season sets from Anchor Bay. A friend of mine picked up the Season 1 & 2 pack from Target. I brought mine over to that friend's place to do a comparison. It took a whole two seconds to see the difference. I'd use the analogy of how a VHS tape in SP mode looks compared to EP/SLP. On a 42" monitor, the Mill Creek versions had very visible halos, a softer overall image, and nasty compression artefacts. There's a good reason the Mill Creek sets are so inexpensive. As the saying goes... Caveat emptor!

10. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Cinematographer

Matt,do you remember if the mill creek set is on single sided discs or double sided ???

11. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Screenwriter

Robert
    Single sided.

12. Jimmy M

Jimmy M Second Unit

Are the same music replacements present in the new Mill Creek DVD set?