What's new

The Great Train Robbery (1978) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I saw The Great Train Robbery in theaters and the blu is an excellent representation of how the film looked in theaters. I suspect that people who are more into the HD home theater rather than the actual movie going experience will continue to be disappointed visually in the look of many films (especially the 1970s) that don't have the razor sharp and crisp look they expect from HD. I can just imagine the complaints when McCabe And Mrs. Miller makes it to blu (if it does). That is one dark and grainy film!

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Thomas T said:
I saw The Great Train Robbery in theaters and the blu is an excellent representation of how the film looked in theaters. I suspect that people who are more into the HD home theater rather than the actual movie going experience will continue to be disappointed visually in the look of many films (especially the 1970s) that don't have the razor sharp and crisp look they expect from HD. I can just imagine the complaints when McCabe And Mrs. Miller makes it to blu (if it does). That is one dark and grainy film!
I agree. I saw this in theaters as well and it, along with many other 70's films, just weren't visually stunning. I'm no expert so not sure if this was attributable to film stock or just that directors/cinematographers in the 70's were going for a more "realistic" look.

Now, could this BD look better with a more recent, updated transfer, etc? Possibly, but most of the films Kino is releasing just aren't candidates for that treatment in the current catalog film environment. I'm more than pleased to have this BD in my collection.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
atfree said:
I agree. I saw this in theaters as well and it, along with many other 70's films, just weren't visually stunning. I'm no expert so not sure if this was attributable to film stock or just that directors/cinematographers in the 70's were going for a more "realistic" look.

Now, could this BD look better with a more recent, updated transfer, etc? Possibly, but most of the films Kino is releasing just aren't candidates for that treatment in the current catalog film environment. I'm more than pleased to have this BD in my collection.
I never cared for the cinematography style of the film when I saw it in the theater. Unfiltered light frequently blows out the picture. Look how overly bright the sky is in the scene where Pearce is riding with the daughter in the park. I've never liked this look. It was quite popular in the 70's, and Geoffrey Unsworth shot several films in this manner (Royal Flash and Superman come to mind). So, yes, I agree that the BD looks the way the movie did in theaters.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I am also pleased to have this BD in my collection, and it was a blind buy! I enjoyed the heck out of this film and thought it looked "appropriate". In no way, shape or form was I expecting a pristine presentation. Keep 'em coming, Kino.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
David_B_K said:
I never cared for the cinematography style of the film when I saw it in the theater. Unfiltered light frequently blows out the picture. Look how overly bright the sky is in the scene where Pearce is riding with the daughter in the park. I've never liked this look. It was quite popular in the 70's, and Geoffrey Unsworth shot several films in this manner (Royal Flash and Superman come to mind). So, yes, I agree that the BD looks the way the movie did in theaters.
Which is all we can ask for.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Dave B Ferris said:
I saw a TV-movie (or mini-series) (?) at Barnes & Noble last week. Is it highly regarded by fans of the film?
That's about the famous 1963 British train robbery and has nothing to do with the Crichton film or book.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I'm with Dave on this. I hate this look. I think this style of photography was a reaction to the clarity of 65 mm of theprevious decade,which by then had disappeared from use. However as others have said, it that what it looks like, that's how the BD should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks