What's new

The Great Train Robbery (1978) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
6rfzFHHsER729U3XZS30M0Y9dRy.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am more than delighted this is coming out. Saw it theatrically on its initial release, and, having already read the novel, found it to be remarkably faithful. Incredibly entertaining in spite of Donald Sutherland's terrible attempt at a British accent (but no worse than Robert Duvall's in THE SEVEN PER-CENT SOLUTION). So happy I can (presumably) dump the non-anamorphic MGM DVD.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Good news! I saw this in a theater on the upper-east side of Manhattan with great sound, one of the best Dolby optical experiences i had during that period.

The film itself holds up. Put me down for someone who liked Donald Sutherland. He was just crazy enough to be believable. He played well opposite Connery's cool.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Dick said:
I am more than delighted this is coming out. Saw it theatrically on its initial release, and, having already read the novel, found it to be remarkably faithful. Incredibly entertaining in spite of Donald Sutherland's terrible attempt at a British accent (but no worse than Robert Duvall's in THE SEVEN PER-CENT SOLUTION). So happy I can (presumably) dump the non-anamorphic MGM DVD.
I thought Sutherland was doing an Irish accent in First Great Train Robbery.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I'm with Keith. This is the only Kino UA title I'm interested in so far.

And this is one of my favorite films of all time, I've seen it over 100 times at least. Let's hope the excellent commentary from the LD and DVD carry over. This will be the 4th format I've owned this one on, I remember how the red titles were never readable until the Laserdisc, and then the DVD was maybe a little improvement not being anamorphic and from the same transfer. The leap forward on this Blu should be pretty major.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Moe Dickstein said:
I'm with Keith. This is the only Kino UA title I'm interested in so far.

And this is one of my favorite films of all time, I've seen it over 100 times at least. Let's hope the excellent commentary from the LD and DVD carry over. This will be the 4th format I've owned this one on, I remember how the red titles were never readable until the Laserdisc, and then the DVD was maybe a little improvement not being anamorphic and from the same transfer. The leap forward on this Blu should be pretty major.
Not a fan of Burt Lancaster then?

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I don't dislike him. Don't have any particular passion for him either. Like him a lot in Airport which is the only thing I have with him outside a few Criterions.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Moe Dickstein said:
I don't dislike him. Don't have any particular passion for him either. Like him a lot in Airport which is the only thing I have with him outside a few Criterions.
I'm good with Airport, The Train and Sorry Wrong Number. That's about it. But do wish to see Elmer Gantry again for Jean Simmons and Shirley Jones.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
No Lancaster in Night of the Hunter. I do agree with you on Elmer Gantry. Watch it now for Simmons and Jones. Exceptional performances.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
bujaki said:
No Lancaster in Night of the Hunter. I do agree with you on Elmer Gantry. Watch it now for Simmons and Jones. Exceptional performances.
Absolutely right don't know what I was thinking, it was Robert Mitchum. I meant to say Sorry wrong Number. How did I confuse those? Oh I know Advil PM.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I have now had the opportunity to watch the blu-ray. My first (and so far only) Kino, the transfer is good but doesn't sparkle (not a technical term I know!) and I was slightly disappointed. However, a great film with a great cast.

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
I was disappointed too, with picture. Sound was great. I guess that blown-out, over-exposed look that certain shots have is intended. I had always thought, from my laser disc copy, that they had tried to enhance it and caused white halos around certain areas of the image. But it's still there now. Intentional I guess, to help with the "period" look perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks