What's new

"The Great Raid"...... WW2 film based on true story & book "Ghost Soldiers" (1 Viewer)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Not to be a name dropper, but one of the editors of this movie is someone I run into on occasion, and I remember talking to him several years ago. He was telling me about his current project, a WWII movie, that was going to be a good movie. I have not seen him in a while, probably b/c he is working on something, but Ill have to ask him next time I see him what happened to delay this title.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I had caught this during the sneak preview last weekend. I don't want to spoil or discourge anyone but I will say it's good but not great. It's best at the technical side of it, explaining in good detail the raid itself and the planned actions.

Oddly, the human side of the story is the weak point despite earnest efforts to humanize a movie focused on a military action.

If you're a fan of the book, I'll expect you'll like what you see.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
I also saw this last weekend, and I enjoyed it a great deal. It's a very straightforward war movie with the Americans as the good guys and the Japanese as the bad guys. There doesn't seem to have been any effort made to make this more politically correct. I suppose some people will say that it doesn't go far enough, but a movie can never fully portray what happened in those camps. Where would you find actors who had been starved to skin and bones, for example?

I liked it a little better than Alex. I thought the human side of the story worked fine. I haven't read the book, so I don't know how faithful it is.

John_Graz

Stunt Coordinator
Why are Showcase Cinemas in Cincinnati not showing this movie ?
Seems they "boycott" some movies.:angry: I wonder why ?

The Rave Theater is showing it; so they will get my money !;)

My Editorial of this is:
I looked on Rotten Tomatoes and it's only playing at 813 theaters while a movie like Dukes of Hazzard plays at 3,713 theaters !

All the movie theaters think of is they will show ANYTHING if it makes them the almight $$ buck !!

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
The movie was execllent. I also highly recommend a recent PBS documentary on the raid--American Experience: Bataan Rescue. It's available on DVD.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I thought this film was excellent also. A great history lesson and good acting all around. Bratt and his right hand man were superb. I have to look for that PBS dvd.

It was also good to have a balanced view of the military for a change.

:emoji_thumbsup: Four of Five stars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks