What's new

The Great Escape - 50th Anniversary Restoration, TCM Showing in 2013 along with probable BD release (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Paul Rossen said:
It will be very interesting to see what MGM does with sound of THE GREAT Escape. A few years ago the Elmer Bernstein score in full stereo was discovered and released by both Varese and Intrada. I'm certainly hoping that MGM utilized these tracks to give fans the film as never before...
Yeah, I was thinking that, I have the CD(s) & it sounds fantastic. I suppose it depends if they still have the seperate music, effects & dialogue tracks. If all they have is a final mix then I can't see how they can do it.

John Doe

Second Unit
Real Name
aki jebivetar
The Great Escape was restored by Metro Goldwyn Mayer Studios at Deluxe Digital
Media using a 4K scan of the original camera negative. The restoration entailed hundreds
of hours of digital restoration to address significant damage and fading.
Sounds good to me.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Fox said "The Great Escape" would come to Blu in 2013. Sony said we would get "Funny Girl" in 2013 also

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by GMpasqua /t/324881/great-escape-50th-anniversary-restoration-to-be-shown-2013-on-tcm-blu-ray-to-follow#post_3996493
Fox said "The Great Escape" would come to Blu in 2012. Sony said we would get "Funny Girl" in 2013 also
Well, it's already November, so Fox has exactly 2 months to make good on that target...we'll see!!!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Great Escape is playing at Cinemark theaters nationwide next week as part of their Cinema Classics series. Last night was Young Frankenstein, which looked really good on their XD screen.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I merged the two threads together so that it is easier to follow the discussion regarding the restoration, TCM showing and hopefully, BD release.

Crawdaddy

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Just hope that whatever was shown at Cinemark this week will not see the light of day in BD format.
It was a painful experience. Super grainy, no detail nor definition...sad, sad, sad.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
I received my copy of the Blu-ray and had a chance to check it out. In the original post I posted some screencaps from scenes in the 2004 SE DVD that I felt were particularly problematic. I've taken screencaps from the Blu-ray of the very same scenes to compare. The difference is significant.

DVD screencaps are on top, Blu-ray on the bottom.

dvd1.jpg

bluray1.png

dvd2.jpg

bluray2.png

dvd3.jpg

bluray3.png

dvd4.jpg

bluray4.png

dvd5.jpg

bluray5.png

dvd6.jpg

bluray6.png

dvd7.jpg

bluray7.png

dvd8.jpg

bluray8.png

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
A perfect example of how unreliable screencaptures can be. Anyone basing judgment on the Blu-ray caps above would assume the BD has a washed out picture. Even the black bars are dark grey (measuring 95% of black in Photoshop's greyscale slider)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks