What's new

The Good Wife - season 1 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Loved the episode. I generally enjoy Alan Cummings, so I too thought it was a great role for him. I kept thinking about Spy Kids though, the whole time.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The knives have started to come out. It was a great pleasure to finally see Will bringing his A game. After watching his stare down with the federal judge, I understand how he was able to rise to become the partner of a prominent Chicago law firm. Positively ferocious. We all knew Zach's girlfriend was trouble from the get-go, but things are starting to take a decidedly darker tone. I do have to wonder what the game plan was in storing the condoms in his mother's night stand; did he really think that she never went in there? Alan Cumming's Eli Gold continues to beguile; did he set up the drive by with the cop, or is he so alarmingly well-connected that he's friendly with all the cops (or at least the bosses of all the cops)? Peter has no right to question Alicia's marital fidelity, not only because of the obvious hypocrisy but because he's married to just about the most pure as snow woman in the entire state of Illinois. About the only thing that could push her towards Will is spite for being accused of becoming romantically entangled with Will. I was happy to see an actual conclusion to this week's legal case, unlike the perfunctory one line of dialog wrap-up we'd been getting in recent episodes. Sure, the episodic plots are only a mechanism to observe how our characters react, but that's no excuse for not doing a solid job with them. So, are Lockhart and Gardner going to take on a new third partner? If so, who will it be and how will it change the dynamics of the office? Could it be Peter Florrick? Can we count on Alicia even being at Stern and Lockhart in six months to find out?

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

We all knew Zach's girlfriend was trouble from the get-go, but things are starting to take a decidedly darker tone. I do have to wonder what the game plan was in storing the condoms in his mother's night stand; did he really think that she never went in there?
I agree that scene was a bit clumsy...especially for this consistently well-written series. About the only thing I can come up with is that Zach and his sister know from experience that grandma goes through their respective bedrooms and removes items she deems objectionable. Maybe Zach placed the condoms in the nightstand in his mother's bedroom thinking they'd be safe there because Jackie would not go through Alicia's drawers. The other BIG assumption we have to make if that really was the intention of the show scribes...is this nightstand on Peter's side of the bed?

Considering how well-done everything else is on the program, I will not begrudge the producers what appears to be one slightly awkward plot device. Plus, as tightly choreographed as this show is, this seemingly minor detail may well be by design and is the setup for a future exchange between Zach and Alicia. That's my bet.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm not certain what the point of holding the trial in a conference room of the hospital was; considering that the judge kept issuing 24 hour recesses, it can't have been too urgent for a phone call from the courtroom to the hospital. Martha Plimpton's insurance lawyer is one of my very favorite recurring characters on this show. Her clients are almost always evil, but she herself is perfectly pleasant company: not self-righteous, not mean, never personal. She's a good lawyer who respects and appreciates the skill and craft of other good lawyers. I also enjoyed the black pastor, who highlighted the divide between his father's generation of very political black church leaders who used the pulpit as their power base, and his own generation, which has the luxury of going into politics if one desires to be political, leaving church leaders to focus on purely spiritual matters. Having seen disgraced politician after disgraced politician turn to the Rev. Al Sharpton or his local equivalent for an instant image rehabilitation, it was refreshing to see a pastor who cared first and foremost about Peter's soul. I also appreciated the dichotomy of an abortion rights advocate faced with the possibility of losing her own fetus. Despite the insurance lawyer's argument, the mother's views are not irreconcilable -- but unlike a lot of shows the presume one side or the other, I was happy to see it handled as a morally complex and at times deeply personal issue. Being pregnant undoubtedly affected the mother's perspective on the issue. This was reflected in the father's statement to Alicia that having a kid changes everything; were Alicia a single woman, she would have undoubtedly felt more free to pursue Will on the rebound from her appalling husband. But she has two kids, and that vastly changes her priorities. I think there is still a legitimate argument for going with Will in the end, but Alicia's family rightly gives her pause.

Is Calinda's employment at both Florrick's office and Stern, Lockhart & Gardner really a coincidence? I wouldn't be surprised if both Calinda and Will had a larger role in Peter's downfall than has thus far been let on. Stern was certainly involved at least peripherally before his extended leave of absence.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
First off, that plaintive moan of Alicia's during the kiss kicked me right in the taterbag. I don't want Willicia© to happen, but I sure wanted her to get whatever she needed right then.

That said, what a symphony of undercurrents and subtexts. The only misstep I can recall was Nyholm saying 'drop the class action' in the impromptu courtroom with no indication that the judge had left the room. No attorney is gonna utter such a quid pro quo in earshot of a judge.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Another outstanding episode! The Good Wife has rapidly become one of the best written and produced dramas on TV and one of my favorite shows...ever.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I didn't expect this; what started out as a high profile guest appearance is apparently becoming a full-time gig for Alan Cumming:
Exclusive: 'Good Wife' promotes Alan Cumming to series regular I've really enjoyed his character so far, so I think this is good news. I'm just surprised a fairly significant movie star would take television on full-time in a supporting role. Most of them would think it beneath them.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Interesting episode format and absolutely brutal ending. I can't ever imagine taking a plea deal for a murder I didn't commit. Even if you get convicted, a not guilty plea still leaves open avenues for appeal down the road. Nice to see Tovah Feldshuh, an underrated character actress that's gotten most of her accolades in the theater.

Grace now knows that something happened between her mother and Will. What will she do with that information?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
My god that was brutal when you saw the slips in the waste basket :( The sad part is, you know there are times when this likely happens. Still, crazy.

This show tends to mix up the formats and storytelling methods, and it does it very effectively. It's really turned into a pretty strong, non-formula drama for CBS.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Not my favorite episode, but well done. I felt that it broke format, in showing us what the main characters didn't see. Love the dynamic between Diane and the Marlboro-Man ballistics expert :)

Wonder what the consequences will be of Alicia's daughter overhearing her conversation of "what if" with Will?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The Good Wife returns with one of the best episodes of the series so far. Every story line was firing on all cylinders, and the timing of the Muhammed cartoon storyline was eerily timely given the whole "South Park" controversy. Who would have thought the day would come when CBS would be more daring than Comedy Central? It was also a joy to see the return of Jonas Stern and get to see how his new arrangement was working. Her humiliation of him in the courtroom was both wholly appropriate given the bind he'd put her in and one of the few times she's broken out of her saintly persona.

The storyline with Cary was also fascinating, reminding us again that soon one will stay and one will go and muddying the waters a bit as to who that's going to be. It's also interesting that he chose to stick with the seemingly riskier bet, even before Alicia got Achilles to expose his heel. I can't imagine them dropping Lockhart & Gardner from the show, since that would mean losing a few big names from the regular cast list. On the other hand, they did nab Alan Cumming for the regular cast next season and Chris Noth will presumably be bumped up from special guest star as well. It's not entirely outside the realm of possibility that Matt Czuchry, Josh Charles and even Christine Baranski could get knocked down to recurring for next season. Something tells me that Kalinda would follow Alicia wherever she ends up, because Archie Panjabi's performance in the role is just too vital to the show.

In an episode about religion, I was utterly fascinated by the idea that in the very liberal (but more importantly, very pragmatic) upper eschelons of the Chicago public sector-criminal underworld complex finding God would be considered a liability. In a city that has no morals, any sign of morality or any belief beyond self-preservation is like blood in the water. The scene in the church was incredibly layered: you have the obvious visual statement of this very stiff upper-class white family in the middle of a homogenously black intercity church. Peter, the quintessential politician, was completely at ease, finally feeding off the energy of a crowd after months and months of being trapped in confinement. Alicia is completely uncomfortable, both because it's outside the unspoken societal norms and because she still isn't entirely comfortable with this religious epiphany of Peter's. She doesn't trust it, and seemingly rightly so. Then Peter gets up and walks out in the middle of sermon, embarassing his wife and children who already know they have the spotlight on them. His behavior is undignified, and soon, suspicious. She sees just enough to know the gist of what went down without the context: Peter was sending a message that the sharks had better keep away, because he was still sharp and still lethal himself. This confirms Alicia's suspicions, since being the baddest bully on the block doesn't harmonize well with the Christian values he supposedly now holds. Thinking she can finally strike back with him in a position of weakness, she shoots him down and storms off for a date with Will. She doesn't consider that Peter could be willing to go all in.

Next week: All hell breaks loose.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
What timing for this episode to run, in face of Comedy Central controversy. Great stuff, I loved how it clicked together, the storyline and the subplots all were interesting. One of the best episodes of the season

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Fantastic episode this week. I think Peter is changing, yet must do what he must to defend himself and his family. Alicia's misunderstanding of this could be tragic.

I am wondering if they're ever going to return the issue of the Photoshopped photographs -- those were so crucial early on and now have vanished without consequence.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Fascinating hour of television. Once again Grace manipulates a complex situation toward her favored ends, on the fly and in an emotionally compromised state, building off a rather ingenious improvised alibi from Zach. These kids are loyal to their father, despite the fact that he's responsible for all of the major problems in their lives. The questions at the heart of this mess: Would the FBI have gone after Anil if he hadn't lied to the police and collaborated with his story? Almost certainly. Would Alicia intervened on the family's behalf if she didn't owe Anil a debt of gratitude? Much more questionable. Ironically, if she hadn't intervened, there's a good chance the Vermas would have cooperated with the investigation and the deportation process wouldn't have been initiated. The result is a trade off; the land lady obtains legal status at the expense of her daughter's liberty. Simran will likely get a favorable sentence as a cooperating witness, but jail time is still jail time. On that point, I must note that I'm as anti-illegal immigration as it gets, but I found the deportation hearing deeply troubling. A matter of such gravity as deportation deserves greater consideration than a judge four states away handing down a decision via summary judgment. Does anybody here know if that's how it actually happens? The DOJ Executive Office for Immigration Review lists five immigration judges for the state of Illinois, all based out of Chicago, so I'm guessing not but I really am pretty ignorant on the matter. Elsewhere, Peter comes clean to Alicia in a very fascinating scene that captures both versions of Peter -- the humbled, repentant disgraced husband and the cocky, ambitous politician -- simultaneously. When Gerald Kozko (Peter's Tony Rezko) shows up begging Alicia for help, she finally shows some stones and blows him off -- which in turn leaves her terrified and incredibly guilty when he shows up swimming with the fishes. What happened to him? Was the strain of being caught between Peter and Childs really so burdensome that he chose to end it rather than let his son's reputation be dragged through the mud? Or did Peter finish him off? Or did the very powerful people who are pulling all of the strings take him down? God, Cook Country really is a cess pool of corruption and scandal.

Next week: Cary or Alicia? We finally come to the big decision. On any other show, it would obviously be Alicia that ends up with the job. To this show's credit, I'm not nearly so sure. And if she does get the job, I'm not sure she'll seal the deal without compromising herself in the process. On paper, Cary's the obvious choice because he spends far more time on the activities that Lockhart & Gardner can charge clients for. Alicia's better with clients and in the courtroom, but her most obvious advantage is that she spent two decades socializing with the most powerful people in the Chicago area. She can catch the ear of people that have never heard of Cary. Lockhart & Gardner is too strapped for cash for a sentimental decision.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Another episode that shows why The Good Wife is, perhaps, the best show on TV (though I am four episodes behind on Parenthood :). Rich, filled with character-driven behaviors; morally questionable actions that all make sense given the situational ethics. A friend described liking Lost because it's a "thinking" show. But, without taking anything away from Lost, to me The Good Wife is more much a thinking show: I'm captured by the individual motives and decisions. Such as Alicia's passive allowance for her kids to spin their tale to keep Peter out of jail. She could have demonstrated integrity and truth -- possibly in Pyrrhic fashion -- by stopping the deception.

I don't understand these people sending cryptic verbal messages by intermediary. Does politics begin and end in Middle School note-passing: "(tell Jane that Joe likes her)" Haven't these people ever heard of the telephone? Postcard? Certified Mail? Email? PGP encryption if they're really worried about authentication and security? Every kid knows the "telephone game": you don't go through people with verbal messages. So pick up the *%$! phone and say your cryptograms directly to Peter!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by DaveF

Another episode that shows why The Good Wife is, perhaps, the best show on TV (though I am four episodes behind on Parenthood :). Rich, filled with character-driven behaviors; morally questionable actions that all make sense given the situational ethics. A friend described liking Lost because it's a "thinking" show. But, without taking anything away from Lost, to me The Good Wife is more much a thinking show: I'm captured by the individual motives and decisions. Such as Alicia's passive allowance for her kids to spin their tale to keep Peter out of jail. She could have demonstrated integrity and truth -- possibly in Pyrrhic fashion -- by stopping the deception.

I agree with everything you just said.

I don't understand these people sending cryptic verbal messages by intermediary. Does politics begin and end in Middle School note-passing: "(tell Jane that Joe likes her)"

Yes. Politics very much begins and ends with Middle School behavior, especially in Chicago. The communication methods you suggested fall short when the matter under discussion involves illegal actions, because they run the risk of being intercepted. After all, Peter already knows that Childs has a habit of tapping his phones. Essentially, the characters have learned from Nixon's mistakes. Sometimes old school really is better.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Fair enough. :)

I was intrigued by your consideration of whether the India family would have had any problems, or at least an easier time of it, had Alicia crossed their path. I think that the son's involvement in her family's problems put him on the Fed's radar. Although, given the case, he probably would have been found eventually. But the web of Alicia helping them, and inadvertently causing more problems, and thuse provoking her to help more rings true.

But can you not help someone thinking that not helping them is more helpful :)

I must admit, I'm faced with a minor situation of whether to help someone on a recurring basis that inconveniences me. And I watch this sort of show where the lead has seemingly infinite time to do good deeds at work and at home, and somehow get it all in...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
A showcase of how the real world works. At the end of the day, who you know will always trump what you know. Alicia was the better litigator but Cary, by virtue of his huge lead in billable hours and loyalty in ratting out Stern instead of taking the offer, was the better investment for the firm. Or at least he was until Alicia changed the game. She needed the job in order to keep the family afloat, she had leverage that Cary didn't, and she used it. It's not fair, it's not particularly right, and she's going to pay for it in the long run. But it was necessary. Dumping Cary will not be without its costs either. As a junior associate, he has intimate knowledge of every one of Lockhart & Gardner's high profile clients. He's knows the firm's weaknesses and liabilities. More importantly, he knows Alicia cheated and he's not going to forget it. And state's attorney Glenn Childs always has an eye out for people with grudges against the Florricks. Cary's just realized he's swimming in a shark tank, and that changes everything. His biggest liability is that everyone he'd be working for or working against has years of experience fending off sharks, Alicia included.

The most interesting scene for me was the pre-credits scene with the receptionist deciding who to share the big secret with. She goes to Alicia first, only to be blown off. Only then does she go to Cary, who encourages her and complements her even though he has no idea what she knows. Naturally she tells him first. Presumably feeling guilty, she again tries to tell Alicia, only to be blown off again. Alicia is saintly, but she's been upper class for too long. She didn't really think of the receptionist as a person, and that error in judgment (and basic decency) could have been fatal. I've worked in journalism and I've worked in sales/distribution. In both cases, the people lowest on the totem pole are the people you need to try hardest to win over. Receptionists, secretaries, clerks, facilities management, janitors all control access and first impressions. And while the decision makers' actions are largely governed by their self interest, whatever you're trying to accomplish will have zero impact on the lives of the gatekeepers. Any help they provide is a personal favor out of the goodness of their hearts, and you can't ever forget it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was surprised that was the not the season ender. It was a perfect place to stop. I felt bad for Carey: I half wanted him to win the slot at S/LG. And that's a sign of a good show, that Alicia's professional competitor is not written as a villain or doofus or otherwise someone to overtly root against (despite his occasional personal clumsiness). I'm not sure I believe Alicia's naivete at the implicit quid pro quo with Gold -- but a person can be willfully ignorant of the facts when it's so against their stated values.

And what game is Kalinda playing with the detective? Is this part and parcel with her machinations to keep access to information? This is going to end badly, but very interestingly.

I don't know what it is about women-empowerment shows: but with Ally McBeal, Judging Amy, and now The Good Wife, this is a sub-genre that I find produces outstanding TV.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
"Yes."

"It's done. You're free."

"Hi."

Next season is going to be amazing.

[EDIT: Not the last episode? Good gravy. I kept thinking this was the perfect season closer, and there's one more episode.]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks