What's new

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
This film is a masterpiece, I have no problem saying that. It lingers near or in my top 10 of all time, and I'm quite sincere about that.

One of my favorite aspects is that Leone opens the film ala Kubrick. Several minutes of film/scenes without any dialog...and it flows wonderfully.

The biggest thing I think of with this film is SURREAL. It is not just the old west, it is slightly skewed. Where and why the battles are occuring for example.

The bridge scene is quite similar to the bridge scene in Apocolypse Now (I almost wonder if Coppola was influenced by GBU for this moment).

Another surreal moment is when the Union soldiers come riding up covered in dust so that they look like Confederates.

Moments like those simply don't feel real, they feel dreamlike. Something like an imagined version of the old west, distorted by the subconscious. Morricone has a LOT to do with that as well. Possibly the finest score ever written and I don't just mean the popular theme now associated with Clint. Every piece of music is incredible.

Everything fires on all cylinders - direction, score, acting, script, cinematography

When you first see it you pick up on the "coolness" of these characters. They lend themselves to appeal to all males I think. But there is so much subtext and subtlety to the filmmaking that it's appeal is much deeper than its "cool" surface. In that way GBU reminds me of A Clockwork Orange, another film who's "cool heroes" appeal to college age males everywhere which belies the greater depth of the film.

Butch C

Second Unit
These films came along in a time in America where the younger generation was fed up with the John Wayne good guy, the law is always right, western...what Leone basically did was make Maffia movies set in the old west...there are no good guys, there are no bad guys, just a mad scramble for money and to stay alive...you have no natural allies or enemies...just guys who you kinda like, guys you hate, guys who can help keep you alive, and guys who can make you money.

This struck a chord with dissatisfied Americans around the time of the Vietnam war...AND IT WAS MADE IN ITALY BY ITALIANS!

When Angel Eyes doesnt beat Blondie because he knew he wouldnt talk anyway the entire genre changed (I know it was the last of the trilogy but I'm making a point)...Angel Eyes was sick and sadistic and as you say a Bad Mo-Fo but he wasnt stupid and he wasnt a characture...he was a guy who used violence and death as a means to an end (and enjoyed it alot)

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Loved it though I had to give the edge to a For A Few Dollars More as the best Western for me!
Eastwood in order (all great films BTW):
1) For A Few Dollars More
2) The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
3) Pale Rider
4) Unforgiven
5) Fistful of Dollars
6) The Outlaw Josey Wales
7) High Plains Drifter
8) Hang'em High

Steve Clark

Second Unit
I find The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly a very enjoyable and entertaining movie. It certainly is not the best western or best Clint Eastwood movie IMO. While the spaghetti western certainly put Clint Eastwood on the path to stardom, it was the Dirty Harry movie that catapulted him to superstar status. The movie Unforgiven represents (deservedly so) the crowning achievement of his career. Clint will always be remembered as Harry Callahan and William Munny.

My "Top Ten" Eastwood movies:

1) Unforgiven

2) Dirty Harry

3) Play Misty for Me

4) Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

5) The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

6) Where Eagles Dare

7) The Beguiled

8) Paint Your Wagon

9) High Plains Drifter

10) Escape from Alcatraz

Runners Up: Outlaw Josey Wales, A Fistful of Dollars, Tightrope, Kelly’s Heroes and For A Few Dollars More.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The first or second shot in the movie, where two riders appear far far away... did you notice how they used to coyote to make you notice them? I found that absolutely amazing, if only because I have never seen anything like that - granted I am no film expert by any strech of the imagination ;) Is that "trick" used a lot? I certainly never saw it anywhere else.
--
Holadem

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I love this film, too. The final shootout in the circle is one of cinema's best moments. Holadem, if you enjoyed GBU, you should definitely check out some of Leone's other films mentioned in this thread.
Even my wife, who is not a fan of the western genre, really enjoyed this film. Now, if I only could get her to like The Wild Bunch. :frowning:

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Wayne, seems like we must be on to something if we both noticed that similarity.
Fistful is what got me into Kurosawa for obvious reasons. I remember about 15 years ago seeing a show talking about Clint's work and they showed some Yojimbo clips. I was amazed by how similar some of the scenes were which made me think the original must have been pretty darn cool (as opposed to being "fixed" by the remake - I had loved Fistful since I was a kid). Then I found out that Mag 7 was a Kurosawa film as well and I was hell bent to get these films (which LD provided for me finally). So Leone brought double the great filmmaking into my life, so to speak. :)
From Ford to Kurosawa to Leone...that's some great road of influences.

Carlos_E

Stunt Coordinator
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Definitely one of my top 10 movies OF ALL TIME. I love this movie so much. The characters, the cinematography, and specially the INCREDIBLE musical score.
It was the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly that got me to become a wide-screen enthusiast. Before, I always used to hate watching movies on tv that had the black bars on the top and bottom. I just hated it! I remember at this time I had seen the Good, The Bad, and The Ugly many times on television and VHS in the FULL frame pan and scanned format. I just thought this was how the movie was supposed to look.
In the final duel at the end of the movie, I had always seen the full frame version of the movie where on the wide shot you see Lee Van Clef and Clint Eastwood only. Then one evening, I saw the same shot on an internet site that has full movie clippings of Clint's movies. The same shot that I had seen many times now had all three characters on the same shot!!!. Tuco's character on the left magically appeared. Something I had never seen before. Right there and then the revelation dawned on me that these black bars are not bad all. They actually allow you to see the movie as it was originally filmed and shown in the movie theaters.
Speaking about the content of the movie itself, I always loved the part that starts when Tuco finds the cemetery (I believe it was called Sanhill but anyone correct me if I am wrong). Right at this time, when he starts running to find the grave with the $200,000, this incredible musical score starts. That particular piece is called "The Ecstasy of Gold" according to the CD I checked out a couple of years ago. I just think it is AWESOME! Tuco desperately rushing through the cememtary, viewing so many graves, trying to get his hands on the gold and the soundtrack blaring in the background. It is unbelievable!
And then of course!, the fantastic duel at the end. 3 people. EVERYBODY AGAINST EVERYBODY! Winner takes the prize. And all happening somewhere in the middle of the AMERICAN CIVIL WAR. This concept is just fascinating to me. Usually, in movies, there is a final fight between two guys. Or there are two groups opposing one another. But to have 3 guys! All seeking the same thing. No allegiances. Everyone for himself, last one standing takes the prize! And all of this in one final climactic battle at the end! Not drawn out over the course of the movie where you eliminate your enemies one by one.
If I ever get stranded on an island, I wish I have a tv set and a copy of this movie.
Strongest possible rating for this movie.:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I just came back from the theater and I am ecstatic. I have been waiting for this day for a long time. As expected, the movie took on a whole new dimension on the big screen, so to speak. Aside from the very jarring dubs in the new scenes, it was perfect. The reactions of the small audience (much of which was experiencing this for the first time it seems) was priceless.

It's gonna be hard to go back to my 32 incher.

--

Holadem

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
AND IT WAS MADE IN ITALY BY ITALIANS
Actually, it was filmed in Spain. But it was made by an Italian production company!

It's funny how the genre has evolved over the years. For the longest of times, the USA practically had a monopoly on quality westerns. Then the Sergio Leone trilogy came out and everything changed. In fact, most of today's American made westerns are now made in the Sergio Leone style!

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
Tuco desperately rushing through the cememtary, viewing so many graves, trying to get his hands on the gold and the soundtrack blaring in the background. It is unbelievable!
Yeah - that's certainly one of my favourite scenes in cinema history. TGTBATU is certainly amongst the greatest movies ever made IMO.

Leon's 'A Fistful of Dynamite' is another great movie that all fans of TGTBATU should check out.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Yup probably the best western ever made and it's not even American, for shame.;)
Morricone's music is phenomenal, that 'Ecstacy of Gold' track is one of my favorites too.
Trick question: It's Sad Hill Cemetery but what was the name on the grave where the gold was buried? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks