What's new

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I saw this movie for the first time a couple ofweeks ago :b. It is easily the best Western I ever watched and one of the greatest movies I ever sat through. I didn't even know they made westerns like that :eek:. Tuco is the life and soul of this movie in my opinion. Few characters ever engaged me as much as he did. My favorite line of his is "When you want to kill, kill! Don't talk!". I wish more vilains would heed that advice. :D
I am interested in your tougths on this one.
--
Holadem

Alex S

Second Unit
Definatley one of the best westerns ever made.
:emoji_thumbsup:
Good_Bad_Ugly_1.JPG

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
"When you feel that noose tighten around your neck, you can feel the devil bite your a**."

I love this movie, my all time favorite western.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Recentely, a couple of friends pressured me into trying to figure out what is my favorite movie. I've narrowed it down to two: The Godfather and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
I'm a huge Clint Eastwood fan, but I admit that Eli Wallach steals the show. His is the main character. Just a wonderful movie, enjoyable on any level and at every moment. It's gripping from the beginning where the guy is at home eating his stew when the killer comes in, up through the bridge batte scene, to the dual at the end, all to the accompaniment to the greatest movie theme music of all time.
:emoji_thumbsup: :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Matthew R

Agent
Every once in a while, there's a thread here titled something like "Is [movie title] a perfect film?" I think this film is a good candidate for a thread like that. The framing, the music, the plot, the acting... this is a great film and I'm struck by it more every time I watch it.

--Matthew

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
It's great in its widescreen OAR, especially at the final standoff, where you can see The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly all in the same shot :)
//Ken

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Those looooonnggg lingering shots are fantastic! Could you imagine someone trying to hold a shot that long nowadays?

Blu

Screenwriter
This movie is equal to (IMHO) The Searchers, Once upon a time in the west, and Rio Bravo in greatness.

All are equal in plot, development, characters, etc.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Yes, one of Clints best, but I'd have to put High Plains Drifter at the top of my list.
Peace Out~:D

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
One of the greatest westerns ever, and along with 'Once Upon a Time in the West' the best Italian westerns ever made, also with probably the most memorable western theme of all time (alongside Magnificent 7).

I can never tire of watching this movie.

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
I borrowed this DVD from a friend at work as the sound was Dolby Digital 1.0. Is there a better version out?

Yes, the movie is awesome. I guess I have to see "A Fistful of Dollars" and "A Few Dollars More" now.

My only complaint is that the bridge seemed to blow up too easily. Would all of the dynamite go off at the same time like that?

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I still remember the first time I watched it in its entirety (up till then I'd watched bits and pieces).
I was still in college, had borrowed the VHS tape (this is back in the Dark Ages ;) )from someone at around midnight, started watching around 1-something, by the time it finished nearly 3 hours later (4+am) I couldn't believe that it had been a neary 3hr movie. i.e it may be bloody long, but it sure didn't feel like it. :D and considering the time, I hadn't nodded off at all anytime during the movie.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Great film. Awesome cinematography making full use of widescreen, especially the shootout.

Speaking of "Once Upon a Time in the West", when are we going to see that on DVD? And doesn't Julia Stiles resemble Claudia Cardinale as she appeared back then?

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
"Also known as The Rat"
This is the spaghetti western. Yes, Blondie (Eastwood) takes a back seat to Wallach's Tuco, only by a bit, but that's okay, as he had his day in the sun in Fistful and For a Few Dollars More. Blondie is The Man With No Name anyway pretty much, so it's fitting that he keeps a low profile.
Slight spoiler below, but not too bad. :)
Blondie's a sniper, laying in wait to pick his moments carefully, capitalizing on his opponents mistakes. Tuco is a worthy opponent, but he's a braggart, is all unbridled ambition, and so provides Blondie with the very opportunities he thrives on.

And come on folks, let's not leave out Lee Van Cleef. He's a bad mofo, and his Angel Eye's is no slouch. :)
Of course, the architects of this film, and many more masterpieces, are Sergio Leone and Ennio Morricone, and their worth can't be measured conventionally. All of these guys, director, composer, and actors, all came together in such a time and place that was magical, and their respective talents gave us some incredibly memorable moments of cinematic history, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly being a true cornerstone to, if not pinnacle of, the genre. :emoji_thumbsup:
Leone reigns supreme...
Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Once Upon a TIme in the West
Fistful of Dynamite (Duck, You Sucker!)
Once Upon a Time in America
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks