What's new

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (4k Remastered Blu-ray) Single Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

JeffT.

Deceased Member
TheGoodtheBadandtheUgly-Still2_CR.jpg

This is a very active forum! Discussion threads are bumped out of queue in no time.

Could a fellow forum member kindly clarify if this single blu-ray edition being discussed is the selfsame one to be found in the recently released THE MAN WITH NO NAME TRILOGY 3 disc blu-ray set?

From the sound of things it has the genuine monaural track restored.

Thank you.

:rolleyes:

JeffT.

Deceased Member
M2211911.jpg

Great! Then I have it. I thought that there was nothing out-of-the-ordinary on the soundtrack with embellished gunfire, explosions and the like.

Still it would have been nice to have had the original 1966 U.S. theatrical release included as well.

Thank you!

:D

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
If a "fixed" version is now being released as part of the trilogy set then does anybody know if there is a replacement program for those of us who have already bought the set?

Regards,

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Trying to sift through all of the information, figured I'd see what the fine folks here could verify ;). I've been doing a bit of research about which Leone releases to buy on Blu-ray, and I'm still hazy on some details. What I've basically gleaned is this: for GBU, Fox have finally fixed the foul-up with the mono on the new single release (While it shouldn't have happened in the first place, kudos to them for doing so!), so outside of the controversy about the color, it sounds like a safe bet since apparently no one thinks to ever restore the theatrical cut. Though the omission of the Italian audio is immensely annoying. For FOD, there was a 4K restoration which premiered at Cannes this year for the 50th anniversary, which may find its way to video at some point (It apparently "depressed" Quentin Tarantino since it wasn't 35mm Roll Eyes.) In the interim period, it sounds like the US releases are foul-up downmixes and my best bet is either the German or Italian release (Apparently one has lossless audio, the other doesn't.). For AFDM, it sounds like the German release is the best at present, maybe it'll get a restoration someday. The odd man out is DYS. Is the US release a downmix too? I've heard conflicting things. If it is, what's my best bet? Is the Italian release the proper mono, if it even included the English track? I guess I'm fine with the US release of OUATITW, I understand that actually wasn't messed up. I would like all of the extras too, those Frayling commentaries are gold, but could just get the anthology boxed set for those, probably used, for a pittance. Thanks to any answers.Good Lord, that Anthology DVD box is officer even used! WTF?

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Wrong thread.
hanshotfirst1138 said:
Trying to sift through all of the information, figured I'd see what the fine folks here could verify ;). I've been doing a bit of research about which Leone releases to buy on Blu-ray, and I'm still hazy on some details. What I've basically gleaned is this: for GBU, Fox have finally fixed the foul-up with the mono on the new single release...
Try here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/325032-sergio-leone-blu-ray-thread/

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
cb1 said:
at Walmart yesterday I saw the trilogy on the rack for $14.99.
Price lowered to move copies. The new set will be out in the spring??Kidding... Or am I??

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Was happy to finally pick up the standalone with the fixed mono track. And happily surprised to find that not only are the original "US Theatrical Cut" scenes correct, and not only have they replaced the sound fx in the "extended" scenes with the original fx, but they've also remixed the "extended" scenes pretty much from scratch. They've changed the dialogue around a bit...sometimes adding or omitting a word here and there...and it flows and syncs much better. They also seem to have pitched Wallach's voice down a bit, and Eastwood's up a bit...making them sound more like their younger selves. Overall, just a much better experience.

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Oblivion138 said:
Was happy to finally pick up the standalone with the fixed mono track. And happily surprised to find that not only are the original "US Theatrical Cut" scenes correct, and not only have they replaced the sound fx in the "extended" scenes with the original fx, but they've also remixed the "extended" scenes pretty much from scratch. They've changed the dialogue around a bit...sometimes adding or omitting a word here and there...and it flows and syncs much better. They also seem to have pitched Wallach's voice down a bit, and Eastwood's up a bit...making them sound more like their younger selves. Overall, just a much better experience.
The mistakes shouldn't have happened in the first place, but the coloring controversy aside, it's nice that they finally fixed the colossal foul-up and gave a properly definitive version audio-wise, at least. Now if only they'd fix the mess on the other three Leone films, but I doubt those are forthcoming :(.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
dpippel said:
Do you always have to be so confrontational? Do you have a source other than your own commentary?
Doug, you have to try to take Bruce with a bit of extra tolerance, I've found. Don't be offended. He speaks his mind, and sometimes the filters are turned off. I used to confront him for his seemingly self-righteous and facetious responses to member posts, but as it turns out he is not only professionally knowledgeable, but a decent guy. He is not responding through ignorance -- he knows his stuff. Sometimes he can be abrasive. I even reported him to the mods for this a few years back. But over time since then, I think he simply says what all of us think from time to time, and just doesn't self-censor. Ultimately, I'm not sure that's a bad thing, as political correctness has reached an apex of late. Just roll with him. You'll be fine.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
P.S.

I do not know Mr. Kimmel personally, but he wrote, co-directed and starred in THE FIRST NUDIE MUSICAL, which for my money puts him in the esteemed Studio Insider category. Allowances need to be made, short of actual verbal abuse.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
haineshisway said:
Can anyone confirm that this is the new version with the correct mono sound - may as well get it if so, but I find it absolutely weird that other than the "remastered" there is not a single mention of 4K.

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Bad-Ugly-Blu-ray-Wallach/dp/B00MA159L2/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1452359430&sr=1-1&keywords=the+good+the+bad+and+the+ugly+blu+ray

I have this. According to my records, purchased 8/1/14. Don't know why there's a disclaimer about the region code. Mine is "A", and the picture on Amazon shows "A".

If I'm remembering the controversy correctly, wasn't the 1.0 mono track, supposedly just a down mix of the 5.1 instead of the original mono?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Any news on 8k or 16k mastering for the film?

Seriously I hope a 4K uhd bd is in the works.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Reed Grele said:
I have this. According to my records, purchased 8/1/14. Don't know why there's a disclaimer about the region code. Mine is "A", and the picture on Amazon shows "A".

If I'm remembering the controversy correctly, wasn't the 1.0 mono track, supposedly just a down mix of the 5.1 instead of the original mono?
In the box set, yes, but they fixed it for the standalone release. Just wanted to make sure that's what this was.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks