What's new

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (4k Remastered Blu-ray) Single Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I know there are threads about this new disc but I haven't been following them closely. So, just to be sure, this is the disc which has exceptional detail and clarity but questionable colors?

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I pre-ordered using the above link.

Now, If I didn't love this film as much as I do, I wouldn't even bother adding more. But... Here goes.

I've read reviews that the old 2009 MGM BD is too blue. And the new 4K remastered is too yellow (assuming the US version will be identical to the UK). The Italian (Mondo) version is somewhere in between (but has no English audio or subtitles).

Also read that the "original" mono mix on the 4K is still the new 5.1 mix downmixed to mono.

Discuss.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
$13.99 is a good price for this, can't complain there. However, I have the trilogy, and may add this at a later date. There's too many films I don't already own on my wishlist.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I have this disc, it's not too yellow, ignore anything you have heard, it's great quality, buy it.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
As with many things, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You just can't make absolute assertions like "it's not too yellow". YOU may not think so but that's simply your opinion. In this case it's very much a "decide for yourself" situation. I consider the color timing to be too yellow. It's very noticeable to me and detracts from the presentation. I much prefer the look of the Italian release.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
dpippel said:
As with many things, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You just can't make absolute assertions like "it's not too yellow".
Let me make an absolute assertion, on a calibrated display it's not too yellow, in fact the transfer looks gorgeous.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
dpippel said:
My display is calibrated as well. So much for absolutes. ;)
Then i guess we are back to beauty is in the eye of the beholder and since this is the cinematographers colour timing..... :)

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've seen this assertion made but have yet to see the source of the information. Frankly I find it hard to believe. Do you have a link? I believe I've read this entire thread and don't recall anything other than anecdotal evidence being presented. Of course, I could be wrong about that.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
dpippel said:
I've seen this assertion made but have yet to see the source of the information. Frankly I find it hard to believe. Do you have a link? I believe I've read this entire thread and don't recall anything other than anecdotal evidence being presented. Of course, I could be wrong about that.
It's in the thread where we discussed this, they had access to materials, i believe a dye technicolor source.

The other two films have been restored in 4K and will have the same look when they are re-released on blu ray.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ah, I remember that. There was also some discussion about the print possibly being degraded. Still anecdotal. I have yet to see anything in print that shows unequivocally that the color timing was approved by anyone directly involved with the production of the film. I welcome being proven wrong.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
dpippel said:
Ah, I remember that. There was also some discussion about the print being degraded. Still anecdotal. I have yet to see anything in print that shows unequivocally that the color timing was approved by anyone directly involved with the production. I welcome being proven wrong.
Oh c'mon, the Italians are not incompetent, have some trust.

I'm sure someone, was it the second unit director of photography, was also involved, might be wrong on that but someone involved with the original production was also brought in, they spent a good deal of money on this and i think they sought to do it right.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Until I see a source I remain very, very skeptical. This transfer just doesn't look right at all to me. And "they" may have spent a lot of money to get this out, but that doesn't mean that someone along the line didn't screw the pooch. It's happened before and it'll happen again.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
dpippel said:
Ah, I remember that. There was also some discussion about the print possibly being degraded. Still anecdotal. I have yet to see anything in print that shows unequivocally that the color timing was approved by anyone directly involved with the production of the film. I welcome being proven wrong.
Now you remember. Two posts ago you didn't :) Not only did they have an Italian IB Tech print as a reference (and Technicolor does not fade if that's what you mean by "degraded") - the assistant cameraman on the film (or the camera operator) was involved in the color timing. Additionally, I had my old 35mm IB print run for me so I could compare it to the new transfer and my thoughts are right here for all to read.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yes it was Sergio Salvati, assistant cameraman on the film. They also used Italian Technicolor prints as a color reference.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
haineshisway said:
Now you remember. Two posts ago you didn't :) Not only did they have an Italian IB Tech print as a reference (and Technicolor does not fade if that's what you mean by "degraded") - the assistant cameraman on the film (or the camera operator) was involved in the color timing. Additionally, I had my old 35mm IB print run for me so I could compare it to the new transfer and my thoughts are right here for all to read.
Do you always have to be so confrontational? Do you have a source other than your own commentary?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
So I guess the discussion has inevitably moved over to this thread (not judging - I'm posting also. :) )

After watching the film countless times on broadcast, laserdisc, DVD, and original BD release, the new presentation while pretty terrific in almost all ways is simply distractingly yellow for me. If the color timing where closer to the presentation that I've grown accustomed to over the years (however wrong that might be) then I would be ecstatic about the new release. As it stands it is an interesting version, but personally I find that the new timing takes me out of the film viewing experience.

Perhaps in time I'll get use to the new look. (And yes, I know just how much this contradicts my .sig.)

- Walter.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I only asked because the 2009 MGM BD is the only HD version I've seen. Although I did see it back in the seventies at a drive-in which had a marathon showing of the trilogy: FFD, FFDM, and GBU. But that was nearly 40 years ago, and I honestly can't remember what the print looked like.

I'll reserve judgment until the 4K remastered edition is in my hands this October.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks