What's new

The Golden Compass - "His Dark Material" trilogy being filmed? (1 Viewer)

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
James is referring to the Authority, an angel who claimed to be the Creator of the Universe and mankind but who was not. He assumed the role and became the "god" of the Old Testament. He was encased in a glass coffin by Metatron (a human elevated to angelic status). The Authority evaporated when his coffin was opened because he was so old.

I have a friend who publishes small press SF and fantasy books and he told me that the original draft for The Golden Compass was rejected by the publisher and that Pullman had to completely rewrite it. He didn't know why they demanded a rewrite but was interested in knowing what was in it they found so disturbing. From what he inferred the reasons were not related to a poor plot or bad writing but rather thematic issues they had.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Having said all that, I think the main point I was trying to make is that the series basically presents the idea that there never was a God/Creator, and the being people took to be God was just another angel.
I agree, and that's not just anti-Catholic, but anti-Christianity. I don't see how anybody who read and understood the books could say otherwise, even if they do believe them to be "pro-Faith" (which can mean very different things to different people).

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I would still vote for anti-Catholic. I think the bigger points, the last book aside, was a critical look at the institution of religion and not the specifics of what it believes. The religion in the books was more worried about institutional solvency vs. any higher religious meaning (IMHO). To call it anti-Christian is only true insomuch that there is no mention of Christ. To call the existence of God in question is merely athiestic, not "anti-" anything. Again, IMHO. Either way, these aren't filmable because while the fantasy imagery is wonderful, the metaphysical discussion will spook the execs. The whole religious debate drives the search for the meaning of Dust and to remove one part of the story would diminish the other part. I just don't see it happening. Which is fine. Not all good books need movie adapatation...that said, where's my Ender! :D
Phil

Eric F

Screenwriter
As I understood it, all that stuff about angels and the
"heavenly hierarchy" was taken from Catholic dogma. Or am I mistaken?
After reading the final book I finally saw it for what it was- The "Anti-Narnia". Being a non-Christian there are elements of both I despise, but I can still apprecialte a well written story.
Like I said before, Dan Simmons explores many of the same elements in his Hyperion series, in a much more adult manner. I'm reading another series now by CS Friedman which also explores the future of the Chruch, in a fantasy setting- Black Sun Rising is first book. Excellent.
Ack- I'm getting tired of all the Christian allegory in SF/Fantasy novels- That's why Dune is so brilliant- Frank Herbert depicts a future influenced by Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddism, Hinduism, Sufis, et al. I'm going to get to A Canticle for Leibowitz soon.;)

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Ack- I'm getting tired of all the Christian allegory in SF/Fantasy novels
I agree, I pretty much dislike all allegory, in fact. I read fiction to be entertained, not indoctrinated or to "learn a lesson". If I want to learn I'll read nonfiction. Preachy fiction with barely hidden agendas is a huge turnoff for me, regardless of whether I agree or disagree with the point they're trying to make.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If I want to learn I'll read nonfiction.
IMO, all good fiction, regardless of genre needs to explore issues and make the reader think. Otherwise, it's just pulp which (while entertaining) is hardly memorable.

That said, I agree with your point about thinly disguised allegory. It would be more effective for those writers to take the issues on directly.

However, I thought HDM was abstract enough than it managed to tell an entertaining story with sympathetic characters outside the allegory.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I agree, I pretty much dislike all allegory, in fact. I read fiction to be entertained, not indoctrinated or to "learn a lesson". If I want to learn I'll read nonfiction.
Actually, that's one of the reasons why I like fantasy. You can create a hypothetical situation to investigate certain ideas that don't exist in our world. It allows an author to play with ideas and values outside the box of the real world. It makes for interesting thinking.

Jason

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Man, no one has posted anything more here since the last time I posted?

Considering all the news that has been comming down for this the past week, it is a little surprising.

Brett Ratner last monday on Sci Fi Wire expressed interest in directing the trilogy. From what he says, it doesn't look like it's happening real soon.

And today, in the London Times, in an article about a new book in the series ("Lyra's Oxford", which looks like an almanack for her world.), there was a throwaway line that said that Sam Mendes was interested in directing.

Interesting stuff...

Jason

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
If Ratner's attached I won't see it, don't get me wrong, I love Rush Hour, think it's very funny, but after this and superman the man seems to be trying to take on high profile titles for the sake of increasing his reputation. Nothing I've seen of Ratner's suggests that he has the visual sensibility or thematic uh 'maturity' to really do the series justice. I'm basing that last comment on Red Dragon, compared to how Jonathon Demme or even Ridley Scott handled similar material its clear that both are far superior directors, thematically, visually etc. Ratner is very good at making a popular comedy (much more difficult than is given credit for), but he's yet to prove himself with other material.

Sam Mendes on the other hand...
Well let's put it this way, I'd wait in line a day or two to see his vision of the series (and too bad, come to think of it, Tyler Hoechlin would make a damn fine Will). Even though I dislike American Beauty, Road to Perdition was one of last years best movies, and already a personal favorite. Put together Mendes and Stoppard on this project and you have one very excited geek here.

Adam

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I got a chuckle after I came across this. I haven't read the books but I have read about them so it doesn't come as much of a surprise. Looks like they tried to reach Philip Pullman but found him too giggly about all the money he's swimming in to talk :)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
To be honest, it is the only way you are going to get it made. The overt anti-religous angle is just a bit much for the general public, at least in this country.

To be honest, I'm pretty amazed that the books will be made into a movie. It's pretty rough.

Jason

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I understand the reaction, and I kinda share it, but I have some hope from the standpoint that he really had to do a sell job to get the gig, so maybe he can pull it off. Course, I'm sceptical of ANYONE being able to pull it off, sinc it is difficult material..

Jason

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What's the problem, Claire? About a Boy was radically different from American Pie; who's to say that "Golden Compass" won't be radically different from either again?

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Weitz really impressed me with "About a Boy." I'd certainly rather have him at the helm than Ratner (though I was pretty damn excited when Mendes was attached).

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Whew...it's official, Weitz is "out". Mostly.

According to a story on bbc.co.uk, he withdrew as director because he felt the fx and technical demands were too much. He remains with the production as screenwriter.

Why was I freaked about Weitz helming these films? Because I thought About A Boy, while it had its charming moments, was wooly at the core and visually pedestrian. I didn't think Weitz had either the visual chops or the mental toughness to bring true distinction to the HDM trilogy. He was apparently quite passionate about the material...but I'm glad he's gone.

I wish Mendes was back.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
According to a story on bbc.co.uk, he withdrew as director because he felt the fx and technical demands were too much. He remains with the production as screenwriter.
Well, it is nice when a director realises his limitations. Kevin Smith is basically doing the same thing with "The Green Hornet".

Jason

Bruce*A

Grip
Maybe it would be a good idea to get some of the cast from the acclaimed London stage production to appear in the film. If any of them were in the film my interest would rise dramatically.

Whatever happens, I hope they don't dumb down the story and twist it into something it was never meant to be.

RafaelB

Second Unit
I just started reading this series the other day and found myself very curious about the film and the UK play as well as what more people think about the "ideas" the book represents. Granted, I'm only halfway through Golden Compass, but I love talking about ideas of faith, the place of organised religion in today's secular world, etc. (in keeping within the rules of the HTF of course). :)
Rafael.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, wait until you finish the series. You are just scratching the surface of what he's talking about.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks