What's new

The Goldbergs - Season One (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I went in with low expectations, but this has been a lot of fun. George Segal is a gem, as usual. I think Barry is the breakout character, though. That guy cracks me up often.

They do seem to drop in some slang that feels more modern than the '80s, but that's pretty typical.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
It reminds me of The Wonder Years, but more up to date. Patton Oswalt does the narration. Some of it is a little over the top, but most of it is ok. We'll see how it goes.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Mark_B said:
It reminds me of The Wonder Years, but more up to date. Patton Oswalt does the narration. Some of it is a little over the top, but most of it is ok. We'll see how it goes.
My exact thoughts. It isn't great, but it isn't bad necessarily.. and there are some moments that do remind me of being an 80s kid. Like "The Crazy Ones" the best moments on this show are the very end, where they show home-shot video of the 80s.. if it's faked, it's still great stuff.

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
Some of the 'touchstones' are a little jarring, fanny packs, Reebok Pumps, more 89-90 than 'the 80s.'

But I'll rooting for anything Garlin.

And, while I've never really considered Wendi McLendon-Covey what you'd call sexy, her roller skating skills were quite fetching.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I really need to watch this, as the show's creator and exec producer, Adam F. Goldberg, is a fellow Cinekyd alum.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I admit, I laughed harder at last night's Goldbergs then I have at most comedies this season. The entire moment in the jewelry store killed me, but the setup also was well played. I'm not sure if this is a series that sticks around, but it is cute, and again the end/post credits with the footage from a 1980s cam-corder get me.

NolanJ

Second Unit
I'll keep watching as long as they keep pumping the 80s references. I think my favorite character so far is the older brother, lol. He cracks me up.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I am still trying to figure out Barry. He is supposed to be just over-excited and naïve, or is he just not very bright? It is hard to tell some times. I do, however, like him :)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I like the show, but there's no real reason for this show to be set in the 80's other than the soundtrack. Also, I wish it wasn't so sappy. It keeps morphing into The Wonder Years in the last act.

The daughter has nothing to do, probably because Adam Goldberg didn't have a sister. She was just added to balance out the cast or whatever reason the suits reasoned.

The brother is definitely the best character on the show. He's like Johnny Galecki on steroids, or Johnny Galecki merged with Jason Hervey. The actor is very funny and very committed. I kept laughing at his fake girlfriend stuff even though none of it was especially inspired.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Rule #1 about discovering your mother is at your party in disguise: do not blow her cover in front of everybody! Get her out of there before anybody knows.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Other than bugging me that they had the Phillies in the World Series in the late '80s (why flub something so easily checked? guess it's an alternate universe), this was hilarious. Watching Barry driving around listening to Tricky had me rolling. That poor kid is going to be a complete pariah, what with his mom showing up at the Halloween party last time, and now checking up on him at the movies. It's his own fault that he's running around yelling, "I've got to call mom!" though.

We're pretty late in the '80s with them watching Short Circuit 2. 1988.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
Other than bugging me that they had the Phillies in the World Series in the late '80s (why flub something so easily checked? guess it's an alternate universe), this was hilarious.
I read an interview with Adam F. Goldberg where he said that the show takes place in "the eighties", with no desire or attempt to follow the sort of chronology from one year to the next that "That 70's Show" mostly stuck to with the seventies. Thus, the 1983 World Series taking place simultaneously with a 1988 movie in theaters.

Brandy S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
"This is Castle Greyskull, it's where Skeletor lives."
FAIL.

Still love the show!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Loving some of the local authenticity on this show!

Willow Grove Park Mall
Gimbels (although there wasn't a Gimbels at Willow Grove)
Dance Party USA (aka Dancin' On Air), which a few friends I know worked on

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I like this show quite a bit and the anachronisms don't bother me because it's set "of the era" and not in a specific time. I let it slide when they mix references to That's Incredible and When Harry Met Sally in one show.

However, whatever HT Geek that remains in me immediately noticed this:

goldbergs.jpg

That's not a VHS tape. That's an anamorphic DVD played on a 4:3 TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks