What's new

The Gods Must Be Crazy (1 Viewer)

Geo Gabor

Stunt Coordinator
I patiently await the release of most of my favorite movies on DVD. This is one that I have been IMpatiently waiting for. Hurry it up already!!!

Alan Kurland

Stunt Coordinator
I always enjoyed this movie, and look forward to the DVD release. For now, I have a copy on video (recorded off HBO) a few years ago. I might make a DVD copy soon.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Two quick notes about the upcoming DVD of The Gods Must Be Crazy and the sequel:
* Filmmaker Daniel Riesenfeld's half-hour documentary in which he journeys back to N!xau's village to catch up with the one-time bushman actor, an extra on the first disc, is wonderful but also highly frustrating. Either intentionally or by mistake (I suspect the latter), none of the extended comments from the bushmen are subtitled. It adversely affects a climactic announcement by N!xau's father-in-law and nearly scuttles what is otherwise a fine retrospective. It seems unlikely that CTHE would fix this and reissue the disc.
* The computers shown in the documentary were donated to the village's schools by none other than Columbia Tristar Home Entertainment.
:emoji_thumbsup:
It's great finally to have these films on DVD.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Randy's right about the subtitles -- but I doubt this was intentional. The JAPANESE subtitles *do* work during N!Xau's interview responses, but not the English stream.....VERY disappointing because it seemed like a heartfelt interview.
Overall a nice set otherwise :)

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Randy's right about the subtitles -- but I doubt this was intentional. The JAPANESE subtitles *do* work during N!Xau's interview responses, but not the English stream.....VERY disappointing because it seemed like a heartfelt interview.
Is it closed captioned?

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I just watched the disc and came across the same frustrating subtitle problem. I tried it on 3 players, did a web search and then did a search on HTF, reaching this old thread. I wish I could read Japanese. Does anyone know what N!Xau was saying? What did he do with the half million dollars that, according to imdb.com he got for the sequel - or is that information false? It seems like such a good documentary.

What's also a shame is that the movies were released together, and then the first was released seperately later, but both versions seem to have the same problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks