What's new

The Godfather - A Novel for DVD (1 Viewer)

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
One scene I loved in "A Novel For Television" that I haven't heard mentioned by any person on any forum was from Part I: during the wedding, after Bonasera the undertaker leaves Vito's office, Vito whistles at Sonny (who's staring out the window), to see if he was paying attention.

I'd love to see that again on DVD.

Sean Richardson

Stunt Coordinator
CameronMcC said:
I had heard this version was also made to raise financing for the overbudget apocolypse now, but not sure of all the details.
I'm not sure that Coppola could've been directly involved in the editing (which it has always been claimed he was with the "Saga") if he had been knee-deep in 'Apocalypse Now' at the time, but it certainly might've been. It was definitely done to raise more money for Zoetrope, whatever the reason they needed the money (possibly it was after the shooting of 'Apocalypse Now' but during the lengthy post-production process).
At any rate, that was obviously the original "Godfather Saga", which only incorporated the first two; he later went back for laserdisc and incorporated the third as well (I have no idea whether he changed anything in the first two when adding the third in).

Thomas J.

Stunt Coordinator
I have some information:

I know for a fact that the first film is being restored as we speak. I don't know anything about if it's for an eventual HD release or what have you, but I would imagine so, or else why spend the money to do it (granted, it may just be another standard DVD release; I really don't know).

I also don't THINK this has anything to do with the chronological re-ordering of the two films, since I've only been able to glean that the first film is being restored.

That's all the info I have, and if I had any more, I wouldn't be able to go public with it anyway. But I have it on VERY good authority that the first film's restoration is very much a "go" project.

Draw your own conclusions.

*Oh, and sorry if this is common knowledge by this point.*

Joel Stein

Stunt Coordinator
Sean Richardson said:
At any rate, that was obviously the original "Godfather Saga", which only incorporated the first two; he later went back for laserdisc and incorporated the third as well (I have no idea whether he changed anything in the first two when adding the third in).
He sure did. The laserdisc "Trilogy" (also released on VHS) contains lots more deleted footage to the first two than is found in the "Saga."

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Since people are still interested in the really cool variations of these wonderful films, and the link is kind of obscure in my original post on the first page, check out the following links if you want a pretty close to definitive word on what's on The Saga vs. The Trilogy (and it's just a really cool Godfather site).
One of the few "extended editions" that really don't waste a foot of celluloid (IMHO). Really hoping it will some day see the light of day on high-definition.
The Godfather Trilogy Website
The Godfather 1902-1959: The Complete Epic (aka The Godfather Saga)
The Godfather Trilogy: 1901-1980

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I have been trying for YEARS to find the actual Complete Novel for TV as it was shown at the time. Even the Tape and Laserdisc releases don't have all the footage as originally assembled for broadcast. (The Japanese laserdisc is the only known version that I am aware is that transfer.) I was so excited when AMC announced that they were going to show it. I was, as my luck would have it, out of town at the time and setup my TiVO to record the whole installment. But Comcast or AMC did a piss-poor job of indicating what listing was the beginning of the series and I ended up missing Part 1 (the early Corleone) section of the airing. Very very bummed. I have transferred all the TiVO files and I'm making a full, no-commercial, edit of all the footage in HD so I can have it on my iPad and watch during long flights.
So, if anyone has that first part in its original TiVO file format, I would LOVE to get my hands on it to complete my edit. I'm even contemplating pulling the audio from the DVDs/Blu-Rays so that all the curse words are back in. (How can you not have Sonny saying "I don't want my little brother coming out of the bathroom with just his dick in his hands"! Classic.) If someone has that TiVO formatted file in HD and can get it to me, I'll be happy to send them the entire Complete Novel once its done.
BTW, I did send an email to AMC to inquire if they were going to re-air this broadcast and didn't hear anything back. They did sign a nine year, exclusive deal to air The Godfathers which included documentaries and The Complete Novel, but who knows if they will ever re-broadcast.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
buttmunker said:
One scene I loved in "A Novel For Television" that I haven't heard mentioned by any person on any forum was from Part I: during the wedding, after Bonasera the undertaker leaves Vito's office, Vito whistles at Sonny (who's staring out the window), to see if he was paying attention.
I'd love to see that again on DVD.
i also like the novel for television.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Not a chance:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/320302/a-question-for-rah-about-the-godfather

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Richard--W said:
To be fair, that's not what RAH said, he was asked if he restored the missing footage. He said Paramount told him not to and he was not aware of any plans to release this version on DVD/Blu-Ray. That doesn't mean there is no chance that they will release it. Personally, I don't think they will either (there's not enough market to warrant the costs), but AMC did present an HD version of "The Complete Novel" so there does exist a HD master of the entire program.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks