What's new

The Future of PERRY MASON (Season 6 & beyond) (1 Viewer)

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Pay a little more for it? All you here now is how high priced these half sets are. I've gone on record saying that I want CBS/P to make a fair profit and that I realize this isn't a volume piece and that the price will be higher, therefore. I'm willing to pay for it. Please release seasons 6 through 9. I want them.

Steve Lecher

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
The trouble is that we have to wait at least 4 years for the movies? I wish they would offer them a couple at a time right now or add one to the tv series as a bonus. Might be willing to pay a little more.
Some of the movies are playing right now on Encore Mystery if you get that channel. I've recorded about 12 of them so far just in case they never get released.

Perry Mason is one I would like to see completed as well. As I start to wind down on my purchasing (finding less and less to buy), I'd be willing to fork over more cash to see this one get completed.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by smithb

Some of the movies are playing right now on Encore Mystery if you get that channel. I've recorded about 12 of them so far just in case they never get released.

Perry Mason is one I would like to see completed as well. As I start to wind down on my purchasing (finding less and less to buy), I'd be willing to fork over more cash to see this one get completed.
I came late to the party with those TV-movies that have been showing on Encore Mystery, so I hope they go back and begin repeating them from the start so I can get them all recorded. I think they've gotten to the end of them. They stopped in 1995 with Hal Holbrook, right?

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by MattH.
I came late to the party with those TV-movies that have been showing on Encore Mystery, so I hope they go back and begin repeating them from the start so I can get them all recorded. I think they've gotten to the end of them. They stopped in 1995 with Hal Holbrook, right?
The 5 movies after Raymond Burr died did include Hal Holbrook, which just finished up (I believe this month). I also was recording randomly so missed quite a few. Like you I would like to get at least all the Raymond Burr movies (I believe 25). So I checked the Encore website and it does appear they are starting over in April with:

PERRY MASON RETURNS, (4/4, 4/10)
PERRY MASON: THE CASE OF THE MURDERED MADAM, (4/17, 4/25)
PERRY MASON: THE CASE OF THE NOTORIOUS NUN, (4/11, 4/17)
PERRY MASON: THE CASE OF THE SHOOTING STAR, (4/18, 4/24)

Glad this came up because it got me to check. At around 4 a month it will take 6 months to probably get them all, but well worth it. My father-in-law and I just watched "Returns" the other night off my 50th anniversary collection.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by smithb

The 5 movies after Raymond Burr died did include Hal Holbrook, which just finished up (I believe this month). I also was recording randomly so missed quite a few. Like you I would like to get at least all the Raymond Burr movies (I believe 25). So I checked the Encore website and it does appear they are starting over in April with:

PERRY MASON RETURNS, (4/4, 4/10)
PERRY MASON: THE CASE OF THE MURDERED MADAM, (4/17, 4/25)
PERRY MASON: THE CASE OF THE NOTORIOUS NUN, (4/11, 4/17)
PERRY MASON: THE CASE OF THE SHOOTING STAR, (4/18, 4/24)

Glad this came up because it got me to check. At around 4 a month it will take 6 months to probably get them all, but well worth it. My father-in-law and I just watched "Returns" the other night off my 50th anniversary collection.
Thank you so much for this great and timely information! This is terrific news to fans who have access to this channel!

Berkshires

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob
I'll be glad to support the release of the 80s & 90s tv movies (and the Monte Markham series for that matter). But, first things first, let's have seasons six through nine of the original series.
Perry Mason is my only must-have show. Hopefully, once CBS Paramount is done with their incomprehensible fixation with Hawaii Five-O, they'll make Perry Mason the priority it should be ;-)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Reluctantly, I am coming to the realization that MASON is most likely a stalled show at best and abandoned at worst. Now that we're at the point that most releases for the first half of the year have been announced (with two weeks left in April, the 60 day window is up to 6/15) it seems unlikely that CBS/P would put Vol 1 and Vol 2 both in the latter half of the year.

Adding further evidence is the recently rediscovered CBS/P Syndication Bible (credit to Mark for finding in the other thread) shows PM's HD transfers stopping at S5.

What's nice about this "new" Bible is that we can actually see the specific changes made (by date and by series) and they've added a page identifying Christmas, Thanksgiving, and other holiday episodes. If that was there before, I don't remember it.

http://syndicationbible.cbstvd.com/

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve...O
Reluctantly, I am coming to the realization that MASON is most likely a stalled show at best and abandoned at worst. Now that we're at the point that most releases for the first half of the year have been announced (with two weeks left in April, the 60 day window is up to 6/15) it seems unlikely that CBS/P would put Vol 1 and Vol 2 both in the latter half of the year.

Adding further evidence is the recently rediscovered CBS/P Syndication Bible (credit to Mark for finding in the other thread) shows PM's HD transfers stopping at S5.

What's nice about this "new" Bible is that we can actually see the specific changes made (by date and by series) and they've added a page identifying Christmas, Thanksgiving, and other holiday episodes. If that was there before, I don't remember it.

http://syndicationbible.cbstvd.com/

Unfortunately you are almost assuredly correct about Perry Mason being stalled out, Steve. I've known about the potential for this great series being stalled/abandoned for about 6 months now, but kept hoping beyond hope the company would change their mind and put this series back on the schedule. The fact is they haven't as of right now and it definitely is bad news for those of us that are fans of this fantastic series. I'm more miffed when I think that we could have seen this series finished by now how the company not gone with the inane plan of splitting up season sets. What a joke that's become.

Gary "here's to hoping that somehow PM gets put back on the schedule" O.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I can't believe 2011 won't see a Perry Mason release. I thought it was their one black and white show that did well, hence justifying their yearly release schedule. Did the latest season nose dive, or do they want out of the retail DVD business?

But what a slap in the face to long term fans, people who have bought these releases year in, year out, hoping that they'd finally complete the series circa 2014. Obviously that was a pipe dream. With DVDs on the decline, the only way this series gets completed through its final season is by a MOD service.

To think, if they hadn't split the seasons, the show would be completed. But then again, maybe they could only afford to remaster one season a year. I hope the remastering is still going on, and if they do turn to MOD in 2012 or 13, that they continue to offer Perry Mason in HD remasters.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Originally Posted by jdee28
I can't believe 2011 won't see a Perry Mason release. I thought it was their one black and white show that did well, hence justifying their yearly release schedule. Did the latest season nose dive, or do they want out of the retail DVD business?

But what a slap in the face to long term fans, people who have bought these releases year in, year out, hoping that they'd finally complete the series circa 2014. Obviously that was a pipe dream. With DVDs on the decline, the only way this series gets completed through its final season is by a MOD service.

To think, if they hadn't split the seasons, the show would be completed. But then again, maybe they could only afford to remaster one season a year. I hope the remastering is still going on, and if they do turn to MOD in 2012 or 13, that they continue to offer Perry Mason in HD remasters.
How can you tell that? I tried looking at the Syndication Bible, but I don't think that I could read it very well. I didn't see anything that seemed to indicate anything about future release plans.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I'm just hoping; who knows what their future release plans are. I'm hoping they don't give up on retail DVD altogether.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeDoakes
How can you tell that? I tried looking at the Syndication Bible, but I don't think that I could read it very well. I didn't see anything that seemed to indicate anything about future release plans.
There are two different sources at work here that tell us future Perry Mason seasons may be in jeopardy. The first is that the Syndication Bible only shows PM being remastered up through Season 5 which is where the releases are at right now. Generally when CBS was releasing these shows, they'd be a good six months to a year ahead in terms of remastering and the Syndication Bible would indicate that. It's possible someone simply forgot to update the PM page. Were it not for the second source of info I'd have some hope that's all there is to the site not mentioning Perry Mason Season 6 as being remastered. But the second source is one I know personally and that source says flat out that Perry Mason is not on the schedule right now. So there is absolutely reason to worry the show is stalled out. Hopefully that changes and the studio does an about-face with this decision, but as of this moment the show is stalled.

Gary "and I'm scratching my head about this just like Steve & John because I too thought this series was selling well for CBS/Paramount" O.

eboll

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric Boll
Netflix has the Perry Mason movies unforunately you can only stream them there, they are not on disc.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Gary, what does your crystal ball say about CBS/Paramount releasing the ill advised, ill fated, PERRY MASON revival of the early 70's that starred Monte Markham as Mason?

I would like it to have all the episodes in one package, not split, uncut, with original music, remastered, audio commentaries from surviving cast and crew, new introductions by Markham and Harry Guardino, who played Berger, original coming attractions, show promos, a newly produced Making Of documentary, a newly arranged for the DVD filmed tribute to the series with all cast and crew at the Paley Center, archival behind the scenes footage, text extras of all studio correspondence related to the series, original press reviews, an actual size reproduction of the complete Fall Preview TV GUIDE when the show premiered, packaged in a deluxe gold box shaped like a gavel and personally autographed by Erle Stanley Gardner's ghost. And on Blu Ray. For $12.95 MSRP.

Come on, Gary, don't let me down here! If you say it isn't on the schedule, I am going to boycott CBS/Paramount and start an online petition for Criterion to release the series! And post everyday on the Shout boards that millions of fans, perhaps even a dozen of them, are clamoring for this series on DVD!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor Echo
Gary, what does your crystal ball say about CBS/Paramount releasing the ill advised, ill fated, PERRY MASON revival of the early 70's that starred Monte Markham as Mason?

I would like it to have all the episodes in one package, not split, uncut, with original music, remastered, audio commentaries from surviving cast and crew, new introductions by Markham and Harry Guardino, who played Berger, original coming attractions, show promos, a newly produced Making Of documentary, a newly arranged for the DVD filmed tribute to the series with all cast and crew at the Paley Center, archival behind the scenes footage, text extras of all studio correspondence related to the series, original press reviews, an actual size reproduction of the complete Fall Preview TV GUIDE when the show premiered, packaged in a deluxe gold box shaped like a gavel and personally autographed by Erle Stanley Gardner's ghost. And on Blu Ray. For $12.95 MSRP.

Come on, Gary, don't let me down here! If you say it isn't on the schedule, I am going to boycott CBS/Paramount and start an online petition for Criterion to release the series! And post everyday on the Shout boards that millions of fans, perhaps even a dozen of them, are clamoring for this series on DVD!
I nominate this for POTW (Post Of The Week)!!!

Glen, I really needed that today. Thanks for brightening up my day here at HTF.

Gary "take care, my friend" O.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Great post, Professor Echo! I'd buy that set :)

One small addition for the set: such a set would have to come with its own crystal ball if we are truly going to have episode intros from Harry Guardino

A somewhat easy trivia question: what actor provides a common link between the original Mason, the Markham Mason, and the 80s/90s movie of the week Mason?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by Jack P
Richard Anderson!
Great job, Jack!

Richard Anderson was seemingly in everything during the 60s/70s and into the 80s, There were various things that bugged me about the liberties taken with the Mason canon for the 80s revival and one of them was Anderson's appearance in the first movie. He went from being a Mason S9 regular to quite a different role in PM Returns. Then again, he appeared in the original series (sans toupee) in an earlier season playing a different character so perhaps he just came full circle.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Just wishing the lovely Barbara Hale, the only surviving Mason multi-season Mason regular, a happy and healthy 89th birthday. She was born this date (April 18) in 1922. From what I've been told by someone who knows her, she's doing well and is every bit as delightful and wonderful in real life as she was on camera. Let's not forget she was an RKO girl and brightened many a RKO picture (I love her work in the Falcon films for example).

Steve

PS - For those interested, we do have two surviving single season regulars....Richard Anderson was Lt. Drumm in S9 and Karl Held was David Gideon in a handful of episodes in S5 (following a one off appearance to set up the character at the end of S4).

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I don't think the bible website is up-to-date because the last addition was December 10, 2010 and the last updated info on Perry Mason is from 2006!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks