What's new

The Future of PERRY MASON (Season 6 & beyond) (1 Viewer)

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Mark Collins said:
Drew you have convinced me about PM. I enjoy it very much. I am watching Amazon closely. Right now they are out with other people having to fill the order of 18 DVDs. I think if I invest I will want Amazon to be the one I buy from. I have always found them very fair if something is wrong. The movies look expensive. I may hold for now. Used I can get the 50th anniversary pretty cheap.

Drew since you and my good friend Scott and another Dark Shadows friend have praised the show I think I cannot go wrong. I also like what all of you said in your praise of this show. I have to say Raymond Burr and Barbara Hale are fantastic as is the rest of the cast. Barbara comes from the town next door to me. I also thought her son was the new Paul Drake JR or have I got that wrong?
davidHartzog said:
Yes, William Katt. The movies are expensive, but are, for the most part, very good. I have all the seasons, but am holding out for a price reduction in the movies.
I don't think you can go wrong with "Perry Mason"...if you like mystery, crime, suspense, law, and even some humor once in a while. It has a little of everything--and superbly done! As for Amazon...they're pretty good and I've gotten a few of the "PM" volume sets through them. However, ebay does have the buyer protection thing...so if something doesn't show up or if something is wrong and the seller won't "fix" it then usually you can get refunded by ebay.

The movies are a little expensive...but usually that's the case with reunion movies of some past TV show. However, I love those as much as the series and am a die-hard "PM" fan. So, I have the one movie set as well as the series. Hopefully more movie DVD sets will follow soon. Also, eventually I'm sure the price of the movies will go down over time and after they've been out for a while.

Yes, William Katt is Barbara Hale's real-life son. Supposedly Raymond Burr had producers choose him to play Paul Drake, Jr but he purposely didn't tell Barbara nor did he tell the producers Katt was Hale's son--so it would be a huge surprise for all when both sides found out. Burr was like that...always the jokester. ;) I miss him and "PM"! :(

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Come to think of it, it would be nice if Universal put out the rest of the Rockford Files movies as well.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Drew as I said before you have me convinced as my good friend Scott did. Not only you the broadcasts I have been watching over the past few months. I laugh many times. I also noticed Perry had a broken arm which was talked about in the show and also they have an new person in season 9 a man named Clay. The show was syndicated on local channels here in the 80s I believe. I watched some then.Thank you for all you told me and I may come back for more info on the show since you seem to be the one to ask.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Mark Collins said:
Drew as I said before you have me convinced as my good friend Scott did. Not only you the broadcasts I have been watching over the past few months. I laugh many times. I also noticed Perry had a broken arm which was talked about in the show and also they have an new person in season 9 a man named Clay. The show was syndicated on local channels here in the 80s I believe. I watched some then.Thank you for all you told me and I may come back for more info on the show since you seem to be the one to ask.
Yeah, there is some humor and funny moments in "PM", along with the serious side of the murder and suspense. That's why I love the show...it just sort of combines everything and captivates you without the use of blood-n-guts or showing everybody screwing like animals in the woods (pardon my crudeness). ;)

I know a lot of info about the show...but I'm sure there are many that know way more than me! :D But, ask questions anytime...the worst I could tell you would be: I don't know! :eek: :P Thanks!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I laugh at the jokes that they inject into the show at the end of an episode as tonight or during it. I just enjoy how Burr commands the scene he is in. The show is fun to watch. I believe if memory serves Law Students watched this show when it aired. I also remember that they had a legal staff look over the scripts for the show to make sure they always got it right. Much like Doctors were hired to look over Marcus Welby or Medical Center scripts when they aired.I wonder if the 50th anniversary DVD which has extras is worth getting if I plan to buy the entire show?

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Yes, there great extras, like profiles (and interviews) with Erle Stanley Gardner, producer/director Arthur Marks, and the legendary anti-smoking ad Bill Talman did just before he passed away. Also, there are early tests Burr did for the show before finally being cast as Mason.

Now, on to a different matter, but related: would any one be interested in a possible DVD release of The New Perry Mason from 1973 starring Monte Markham and Sharon Acker?

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Charles Ellis said:
Now, on to a different matter, but related: would any one be interested in a possible DVD release of The New Perry Mason from 1973 starring Monte Markham and Sharon Acker?
Yes, I would. I have the WB Perry Mason films from the 1930's and all the Raymond Burr episodes. It would be nice to have everything Perry Mason to make it a complete set.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I did make the leap and buy the show. I called Amazon because they are out and point you to a 3rd party they endorse. I asked if I could return items that might be bad even a year or more from now since it is 72 DVDs and is coming from Amazon 3rd party and their response was yes. The price now is around 260 but I waited and it rose to 264 and I did buy thanks to Charles the Anniversary Collection. I did it just for the extras.I have a feeling this is a series that I will enjoy having on my shelf for many years.I also want to thank my good friend Scott and the people here. I always enjoy that about the Forum that people such as on this thread help each other out.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Charles Ellis said:
Definitely. I remember watching it when it was first broadcast, and I found its tone to be different from the original. Part of my problem with it was the large antiseptic courtroom set they used. It lacked the warmth and intimacy of the original courtroom (and perhaps the color was jarring, too, since I was so used to Mason in black and white).

But I'd like to see it now after all these years. I'm sure I'd find things about it that would be more appealing now.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Mark Collins said:
I laugh at the jokes that they inject into the show at the end of an episode as tonight or during it. I just enjoy how Burr commands the scene he is in. The show is fun to watch. I believe if memory serves Law Students watched this show when it aired. I also remember that they had a legal staff look over the scripts for the show to make sure they always got it right. Much like Doctors were hired to look over Marcus Welby or Medical Center scripts when they aired.

I wonder if the 50th anniversary DVD which has extras is worth getting if I plan to buy the entire show?
Mark Collins said:
I did make the leap and buy the show. I called Amazon because they are out and point you to a 3rd party they endorse. I asked if I could return items that might be bad even a year or more from now since it is 72 DVDs and is coming from Amazon 3rd party and their response was yes. The price now is around 260 but I waited and it rose to 264 and I did buy thanks to Charles the Anniversary Collection. I did it just for the extras.

I have a feeling this is a series that I will enjoy having on my shelf for many years.

I also want to thank my good friend Scott and the people here. I always enjoy that about the Forum that people such as on this thread help each other out.
Yes, law schools/students ended up watching episodes of "PM" to see what procedures they used and how sometimes certain laws applied to the cases. Raymond Burr ended up donating lots of his "PM" scripts to the law schools for students to study and use as well.

Glad you ended up buying it! It's a lot of $ but well worth it...as long as nothing is damaged in shipping. ;) The extras on the 50th Anniversary set are also worth getting that--I love the introductions & info given by Barbara Hale for each episode--as well as all the others, including the first reunion movie "Perry Mason Returns". The odd thing about that is that it wasn't released until sometime in 2008...and technically the 50th anniversary of the series was the year before...in 2007. Oh well...the important thing is it was released! :)
Charles Ellis said:
I wouldn't mind seeing the short-lived revival series with Markham and Acker...as I've never seen it before. I've seen the original 30's movies but didn't really care for them much. But, I'd like to see/have this other show, just for fun. Raymond Burr and Barbara Hale will always be Perry Mason and Della Street...but it would be interesting to see what this other show was like.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I wonder how this will impact the marketing strategy for future releases of the telefilm. Will they continue with the volumes of about six telefilms each? Will they switch to releasing them as double-features? Will they release them in both ways?

On the one hand, many people complained about the high price of Volume 1 and the double-feature release are cheaper; additionally, people who like only certain telefilms or are not completists would probably like the double-feature option. On the the other hand, releasing them in volumes would conceivably get the entire set of telefilms released more quickly.

Darby

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Darby67 said:
CBS/Paramount is separating the six telefilms from Perry Mason - The Movie Collection: Volume 1 into 3 individual releases with 2 films each: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Perry-Mason-Movie-Collection-Double-Features-1-2-and-3/19554

I can't wait to hear news of when Perry Mason - The Movie Collection: Volume 2 will be released.

Darby
Yeah, I read that on TVShowsOnDVD today...at first I was elated as I thought it was going to be a press release about a Volume 2 to be released...but then realized all they're doing is re-releasing the movies they've already released, just in "smaller" volumes--what the heck?? :wacko: They're wasting an unbelievable amount of money and time re-releasing movies they've already put out! :angry: The price of the first volume has to go down over time...we need a volume 2 release!!

I guess if they want to release the movies in these smaller volumes...okay. I don't like that as it'll take for freakin' ever to get them all out, but whatever. Just don't release one volume with several of the movies...then turn around and re-release the same ones in smaller volumes every time! That's ridiculous and wastful! :blink:

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I wonder if this is the general retail release for these first six PERRY MASON telefilms, that they will be available at all stores and not just Amazon.com. The box set was only available through Amazon so maybe these new ones will be available everywhere. Time will tell. However, right now, Amazon.com has these three sets priced at $11.89 each which is 30% off the retail price. This makes this version of these films very affordable for me.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
HunterMan said:
Yeah, I read that on TVShowsOnDVD today...at first I was elated as I thought it was going to be a press release about a Volume 2 to be released...but then realized all they're doing is re-releasing the movies they've already released, just in "smaller" volumes--what the heck?? :wacko: They're wasting an unbelievable amount of money and time re-releasing movies they've already put out! :angry: The price of the first volume has to go down over time...we need a volume 2 release!!

I guess if they want to release the movies in these smaller volumes...okay. I don't like that as it'll take for freakin' ever to get them all out, but whatever. Just don't release one volume with several of the movies...then turn around and re-release the same ones in smaller volumes every time! That's ridiculous and wastful! :blink:
HunterMan:

I completely agree with your assessment of this release strategy. I, too, was also initially excited because I thought it was an announcement about Volume 2.

Darby

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Greg Chenoweth said:
I wonder if this is the general retail release for these first six PERRY MASON telefilms, that they will be available at all stores and not just Amazon.com. The box set was only available through Amazon so maybe these new ones will be available everywhere. Time will tell. However, right now, Amazon.com has these three sets priced at $11.89 each which is 30% off the retail price. This makes this version of these films very affordable for me.
I understand affordability...but the Volume 1 set was not that insanely priced! If it had been like $75-100 then we'd talk...but most DVD sets of TV shows and/or reunion movie series of TV shows are $50 and under. If they continue with this "smaller" format then it will take forever before all the movies are finally released...but I just don't want to waste time with both formats everytime. Either stick to the larger Volume sets...or use this smaller format.
Darby67 said:
HunterMan:

I completely agree with your assessment of this release strategy. I, too, was also initially excited because I thought it was an announcement about Volume 2.

Darby
I know...MAJOR let down!! :( More time and money wasted. :angry:

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Greg Chenoweth said:
The PERRY MASON MOVIE COLLECTION VOLUME 2 is now up for pre-order at Amazon.com and for a good price. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Perry-Mason-Movie-Collection-Volume/dp/B00IXXVCT4/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1394773392&sr=8-17&keywords=perry+mason+movies
Greg Chenoweth said:
CBS Entertainment on Facebook says the release day is May 13th and it is exclusive through Amazon.com.
Awesome...so maybe they are going to move forward with a Volume 2! :) May 13th is a decent release date, and the sale price on Amazon right now is also decent--no more expensive than most of the series season volume DVD releases. However, I would like to know if this Volume 2 will contain the next 6 movies (like Volume 1) or more, or less? Time will tell. ;) But, I am elated to know a Volume 2 is in the works! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks