What's new

The Future Of DVD's? (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Easy there, Glenn. Whenever anyone prefaces a comment with the words "no offense," the result is usually someone being offended. And somebody has been.

Word to the wise when coming to one of the Internet's leading DVD-advocacy sites: Many of our members, including some of the administration, have libraries comprised of thousands of DVDs and LaserDiscs—far more than 2,500 I might add.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
DAMN..no offence, but me thinks you need a life away from the shiny discs.
Life....life....

Yes, I think I may have one here somewhere. I work a full-time job, freelance on the side, administer an internationally-acclaimed classical music website project, coach the local university College Bowl quiz team, am on the board of directors of a statewide corporation providing legal services to the poor, am active in the local MADD chapter, serve on committees with the local courthouse, play piano as accompanist for both a cellist and a local singing group, have a girlfriend and a dog, both of whom I have a good time with, regularly see my little nephews, I own a house and keep it up and yes, I have a pile of DVDs and have written over 550 reviews of DVDs for http://www.digitallyobsessed.com in the last 3 years. :angry: Seems like a damned fine life to me.

Sorry for the OT rampage, folks. Back to your thread.

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
Well like I said I don't mean any offence. But if you do all that stuff then you can't possibly have time to watch a fraction of those 2500+ DVD's. I only have 315 and I rarely get a chance to watch them, maybe 2 to 3 a week. Even if you watched one a day it would take you almost 7 years to watch all those DVD's and that's not counting all the new one's you bought during those 7 years. And if you want to listen to the commentaries?...forget about it, you'd need 3 lives. It seems to me some people collect just for the sake of collecting. When I buy a DVD I do it with the intention of watching at least 3 or 4 times in the next 3 years. If I can't watch it (or don't want to watch it) that many times there's no point in buying it. You might as well pay a couple of bucks and rent it. Even if you have a job as a DVD reviewer you still don't need to collect them to that degree. Hell I didn't even know there were that many films out there that are worth watching more than once. I have been movie freak for 28 years and after all the movies I've seen at the cinema, on TV, video and DVD, by the time my collection gets to 400 I think I will have every movie that I feel is worth watching more than once.
If my words offend you maybe you ought to ask yourselves why.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
No, Glenn, you have to consider, before posting at HTF of all places, that you have you life and others have theirs. The sizes of their DVD/LD libraries are their business, and a love of film surely lies at the heart of their enthusiasm. And as the post prior to your most recent post makes abundantly clear, people can be very good at time management when they are motivated.

Now, let's drop the subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks