What's new

"The Fugitive: Season 1, Volume 2" -- A Personal Review (1 Viewer)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

I remember reading or learning that, ironically, what killed the initial syndication potential for The Fugitive was the fact that they actually ended the show - they caught the real killer. Closure is great in real life, novels and non-fiction, but it was thought to be poison for TV series syndication; especially in a show built around suspense, pursuit, and an unresolved mystery. Why tune in when everyone knows the outcome? I think things have changed now, but I remember several series specifically avoiding any resolutions for just this purpose. Or getting panned when they did (Twin Peaks, anyone?)

At least we have a new suspense mystery for The Fugitive ... What happened to the music?

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

The same way I discovered shows that aired before my time that weren't heavily syndicated. It's called INITIATIVE and PERSEVERENCE. That's what made the TV collecting hobby fun. That you had to put in an effort to find shows and actively pursue them. I'm aware that 98% of the people who are on this forum haven't the slightest clue about this but the FUN of the TV collecting hobby was as much the pursuit as it was the acquisition. Yeah, getting a complete season of a series in perfect quality on DVD is quite convenient. But all it takes is sitting on your butt at the computer screen and hitting a button that says order. Not very challenging, is it? Getting a contact to record a show for you that's running on station in the country takes a bit more, don't you think? I have friends that I've made all over the world through tape-trading. Will anyone be able to say they'll get that from buying DVDs at Crapmart?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That's the only chance that I ever had to see the show.

Not everyone wants the 'challenge' of hunting down a show. Not everyone has contacts with the self proclaimed super collectors who have thousands of shows on tape, DVD or kinescope. And given the continuous and disgusting level of arrogance that I've seen from that type of collector, I never want to have contact with one.

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
...given the continuous and disgusting level of arrogance that I've seen from that type of collector, I never want to have contact with one.

The exception to your statement, to which I agree, is when a series is cut short, like Have Gun Will Travel. ;)

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

Sorry that you don't want the "challenge". You'll never understand the fun of collecting. I wouldn't trade all the fun I had in the hobby for a DVD set of every series ever made. And, don't worry, I don't think you ever have to be concerned with ever having any "super collector" have any dealings with you. But just out of curiosity, what kind of "collector" do you consider yourself, since you don't like the challenge of collecting?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I never said that I don't want the challenge. I said "Not everyone wants the challenge". I've been taping the shows that I want for nearly 20 years but I have no interest in categorizing myself so I'll let you decide what kind of collector I am.

As for super collectors not wanting to deal with me, I'll get over it. And if they all have the personality of the Comic Book Guy, I'm better off anyway.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

I hear you Hank - The FUN of The pursuit was always the best part of trying to find the shows,making friends in the trading circut -I got into it 'late' (1986) but boy was it lots of fun -
in the pre-INTERNET days when you needed to run a classified ad in movie and film collector publications or meet fellow collectors at collectables shows to find people. I was far from being the super-collector Hank is,but it still was (and is) a great hobby!

It's almost like trying to explain to younger comic book collectors about the pre-"comic shop" days when you could get comics at the Newstand, "mom-and-pop" store, The Local Independantly owned Drug Store or Soda-Fountain or 7-11.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Another analogy would be like with collecting baseball cards. It is easier to go to a dealer or convention and buy a complete set that's been put together. However it's more fun to put it together bit by bit and IMO opinion nothing matches the feel of finally getting that last card. While DVD has provided a great deal in terms of accessability and quality it has also taken a great deal away. But just like CDs are not the be-all and end-all with music, DVDs are not all there is for television.

Professor_Echo

Stunt Coordinator
mis·an·thro·py
(mĭs-ăn'thrə-pē, mĭz-)
n.

Hatred or mistrust of humankind.
mis'an·throp'ic (mĭs'ən-thrŏp'ĭk) adj.
mis'an·thrope' (mĭs'ən-thrōp', mĭz'-) or mis·an'thro·pist n.

SEE ALSO: cynicism, pessimism, distrust, disdain, sardonicism, reclusiveness

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

I resemble that remark!
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

Yeh,taking away a great deal of original music and "original as broadcast unedited" versions :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks