"The Fugitive: Season 1, Volume 2" -- A Personal Review

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by David Von Pein, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary

This is another of those episodes that some people fail to mention when they are talking about the best ones on this second half set - and I couldn't agree more with you that it's underrated by many and is actually very compelling. Like you, I too was fooled about the plot point you are referencing. It came off very well, IMHO!

Gary "this episode is definitely on my list of favorites from Season 1" O.

2. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

(Hello, Gary....surprise, surprise [​IMG] )

David, thanks again for a masterpiece of a review for what is most likely one of the best, of not best series to air on U.S. TV. You have so many quotables in your V2 review post as well as the other member's replies, that I'll try to exercise some restraint to help out HTF's bandwidth allotment [​IMG]

Being a first-time viewer of this show, it's an amazing joy and first-rate ent experience watching a show of this caliber on Std! DVD with near-perfect, if not that, B/W xfrs in these episodes. As Gary knows, I'm watching this series in a way that I rarely do for a TV/DVD set, which is viewing each episode twice about 3-4 weeks apart in time. I am watching the eps for the first time at my house, then during my weekly Friday "DVD-Time" with Mom, we're watching them again at her house. When I got in Mom's door yesterday, the first thing I heard was "Are we going to see what happens to Dr Kimble today"? [​IMG]

I finished up S1V1 last week with "...Hunted" so it's good timing for me with S1V2 on the shelf.

Since I'm a 'Boomer and was around when this show originally aired, I knew of its storyline and the setting, etc, but I was watching other things back then so I missed this one during its initial broadcast. For one reason or another, I didn't see this show in syndication in later years. Dad never missed this one back in the 60's and Mom remembered hearing the show sometimes on Tue evenings and remembered that Fuge opening/closing music.

First things first. I thank all of you Fuge Fanatics, especially Gary, for giving me all of the outstanding info about this show at HTF before the S1V1 release. If it weren't for you all, I might have passed on getting this set. As stated earlier, I knew of this show from the 60's but had no idea that it was of this amazing quality in scripts, score, cast, and photography/film excellence. So on that note, my first "quote/copy" goes to....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike KS
    You're good, Gary...you'll just have to live with it.

Ain't that the truth, Mike [​IMG] "Gary, Gary, he's our man, If he don't remember it, no one can" [​IMG]

Quote:

Originally Posted by David VP, the VP of classic TV/DVD Reviews
    I salute thee, Gary O.

David, forget that "VP" title....it's an election year. Yuz the "Prez" of Reviews, dude [​IMG]

David (& all), I received the S1V2 set in the mail yesterday before heading over to Mom's and I mentioned some of the eps in this set to Mom, "..Windy City". "Angels....". etc. She can't wait to start in on S1V2. I have to "pace" the viewing agenda for this show [​IMG] After all, I'm going to view this set as the V1, about 3-4 weeks ahead of us together.

I didn't know that in "...Windy City", for example, "Kimble" will momentarily see that One-Armed Man. We're looking forward to that one. Mom's really looking forward to the "Angels....." 2-pt show.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis
    I haven't picked up this set yet but I always enjoy reading David's reviews. Good ears, Gary.

10-4 on that, Travis. VP's reviews are always the best out there.
    Gary, are your ears as big as Janssen's? [​IMG] You know I'm kidding, dude

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tina
    I unconditionally agree with you on The Fugitive DVD requirement for all DVD player owners, David. This is STILL one awesome TV series to this day over 40 years later!!!!!!

Tina, stated to perfection. As a 1st-time viewer, it's easily the best drama that I've seen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam
    I think DVD is really the best way to view this show - without the edits of TV or commercial interuption. You can really sit down and absorb the program, and the performances.

"Say it again, Sam" [​IMG] You nailed it with that. I've seen this myself (during the 2nd view of the S1V1's). For example, Mom and I saw "...Little Egypt" yesterday and I got a little more from the 2nd time around with that one that I didn't get during the 1st time. If I recall, I was a little tired during the 1st view a few weeks ago so the 2nd time helped fill in the perspective of the story for me.

One thing I'm doing with Mom is mentioning all of these great guests on this show as we're watching these eps. I asked Mom "Ever see that guy before" (Jerry Paris of Untouchables / Dick Van Dyke). Then I got to play "Answer Man" when she couldn't remember [​IMG] Also, Ed Nelson from many other shows and films.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshua
    As long as CBS Paramount releases all four seasons (whether they're in eight volumes or not) with the same attention to quality, we fans of this extraordinary drama series will be happy. And with S2 V1 coming in June, it looks like S2 can be released in its entirety in 2008!

Couldn't say it better, Joshua. I think S2V2 will be here before '08 is done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty
    Glad to see that the DVD release of this series is creating a whole new generation of fans for this show.

Plus, the few of us that were around back then and somehow missed this one all these years (and I wasn't even on Mars or at the South Pole during the 60's [​IMG] )

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles
    I am hard-pressed to find a weak episode in the bunch and what a field day these character actors had. Heckart is superb, but the series taps into the strengths of actors like Gilbert Roland, Madelyn Rhue, and Ed Nelson, who are brilliantly cast against type. Most impressive, however, for me was Nancy Malone..... "The Fugitive" is really a classic anthology show, and Dr. Kimble is one of the great subtexts of literature. It is little wonder that updates of these shows ("The Fugitive," "Route 66," "The Untouchables," "Burke's Law," "Perry Mason") never work: they TELL us what we are seeing.

Charles, you said it. Says it all for me! I'm also familiar with Nancy M from the Naked City sets. Well said about the guests on the Fugitive. They all were at the top of their game in a show of this caliber.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Prez aka David
    And such a subtle observation on Gary's behalf is indicative of a true-blue, diehard mega-fan of "The Fugitive", who knows each episode like the back of his hand and who can even take note of and remember even the smallest of details -- even background music for every single episode. It's somewhat amazing that anyone would even be aware enough of the original background, incidental music contained within episodes of a 1964 TV show that has had only limited home-video releases over the years (and fairly-limited air time on over-the-air television as well), in order to make note of the small changes made by CBS/Paramount for these DVD releases.

You got that right, "Prez". [​IMG] I can only think of a couple of shows where I might be able to make it "interesting" for a trivia fan out there [​IMG]

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fugitive Databank aka Gary
    Gary "as long as none of the Rugolo score is changed I'm fine with little subs like the one's we have here" O.

Ain't it the truth. Mom and I are big fans of the soundtrack for this show.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Time Tunnel Swirling Maze aka Harry
    But it's good to know what to look out for. Thanks to David for his usually thorough and reverent review, and to Gary for tracking down the music mystery. It'll be a joy to watch these great episodes whenever they get here.

10-4, Harry. I agree also. You're left out in this thread? Not a chance [​IMG]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen
    Did anyone post the actual production order of the first season episodes in that loooong initial thread? Even if the answer is yes, it may bear repeating, as it's quite different from the broadcast order:

Stephen, thanks for reposting the prod order info. I also agree with your assessment regarding the "Never Wave Goodbye" observation. I noticed that same point when I first started viewing the S1V1 set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug
    I would love to hold off and make these episodes last until Season 2 Volume 1, but they are like the original Lay's potato chips - "can't eat(watch) just one."

[​IMG] Classic, Doug. I know that I have to "enforce" my pace with this set to get it to last until the next release. It ain't easy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fugitive Databank aka Gary
    Gary "the 'worst' FUGITIVE episode is so much better than the 'best' episode from 99% of all the other shows out there - it's just no comparison" O.

That's a direct-hit statement if I ever read one, Gary. It echoes my feeling for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Prez aka David
    Well, I'll be French-dipped and lanced by Eileen Heckart! You mean to tell me I've spent the last hour searching for a title-card mistake that never even existed??!!!

I'm calling "lard belly" (Carroll O'Connor) and have him take you in because of this, Stephen.

Well, I'll be French-dipped and lanced by Eileen Heckart! You mean to tell me I've spent the last hour searching for a title-card mistake that never even existed??!!!

I'm calling "lard belly" (Carroll O'Connor) and have him take you in because of this, Stephen.

BTW, I was just kidding about spending an hour searching for the mistake that never was. I only spent 59 minutes doing that.

[​IMG] [​IMG] "Prez", that calls for another term in office [​IMG] Funny! Are you going to be campaigning down here in Texas soon?

Jeff "Quotes is my way of saying Thanks to all for getting me plugged into this show. There's no way to put a price on the time spent with Mom watching this one together" Willis

3. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Jeff!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So good to see you again! And you couldn't have picked a better topic in which to make your triumphant return, IMHO.

Hey, I know it's not easy but I want to encourage you to try not to allow yourself to be spoiled too much. You'll enjoy the series so much better if you don't know too much about what's coming in certain episodes. That's how I first watched the show, and I'm so glad I did. Made it that much sweeter. For instance, I know the liner notes give things away and there's not much you can do about that, but I'm going to urge all my fellow Fuge fans here to be extra careful not to accidentally give spoilers. It hasn't happened yet, but it's an easy thing that we can all fall into and we have to remember there are people, like you Jeff, that are watching these for the first time.

Glad to have you back, my friend. Enjoy these episodes and continue to report back often. [​IMG]

Gary "great to have Jeff W. posting again" O.

4. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary

My ears picked up on another nice little score that I've enjoyed so much for the last several years. It may or may not be part of the TZ scores, I don't know. All I know is that I've associated it with a particular HAVE GUN, WILL TRAVEL episode for some time and I heard it again last night in THE FUGITIVE. So we've got plenty of crossover action as far as these series go. What's interesting is that the score in question was used in both shows (HGWT & FUGITIVE) during religious scenes. Any guesses, Michael? I definitely know the particulars of these two so you don't have to worry about it being a mystery for long if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Gary "take care" O.

5. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    Well, I finally got THE FUGITIVE S1V2 in yesterday's mail, and just had a little time to sit down and watch an episode.

After confirming the music change in "The Garden House" (since I'd recently checked the old VHS tape, I then decided I'd go out of order in my viewing of these episodes.

Naturally, I was impressed with the image quality of what I saw in "The Garden House" scene that I took a peek at, but I wanted to actually watch something less familiar.

As it turns out, there are two episodes on this DVD set that I never managed to capture onto VHS, thus haven't seen in many years. Those two are "Never Stop Running" and "Storm Center".

Always a sucker for a good storm movie, I opted for the penultimate episode on this set, "Storm Center."

Right away, I knew I was in for something out of the ordinary when the opening credits only listed Bethel Leslie as the guest star. As the show started, I recognized Dennis Patrick from seeing him in DARK SHADOWS all those years ago, but he wasn't long for the story

The balance of the episode was an acting tour de force between David Janssen and Bethel Leslie, both up to the task. I was constantly amazed at the clarity of the image I was seeing. In one scene where David Janssen is supposedly pulling Bethel Leslie out of the water onto a dock, the image was so clear that I could easily discern the face of Mr. Janssen's stunt man. I'm sure the original thought was that no one's TV was big enough or sharp enough to discern the difference, but little did they know that we here in the 21st century would indeed be studying their work.

All in all though, yet another excellent episode of THE FUGITIVE. My next task will be to get the wife to sit down and watch the "Angels Travel Lonely Roads" two-parter. I think she'll enjoy that one.

Harry

6. Professor_Echo

Professor_Echo Stunt Coordinator

I was talking about THE FUGITIVE with a friend of mine who lives in Hong Kong, but grew up in Germany. She told me that when the show first aired in Germany it was known as (translated to English): "The street-sweeping show."

Take a guess why[​IMG]

7. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Makes perfect sense. Who in their right mind would want to be out on the "street" when "The Fuge" was on TV?

Hence, Mr. Janssen has "swept" the streets clear of pedestrians (and maybe even hoboes, to boot)....everybody was inside watching Kimble and Gerard and "Lard Belly". [​IMG]

I'll bet the level of crime dropped significantly during that Fuge hour every week too. (Except maybe for people who were trying to swipe TVs in order to watch the good doctor's weekly predicament.) [​IMG]

8. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Jeff W.,

Thanks for "Post #22" above.

Good stuff. [​IMG]

9. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Oops! [​IMG]

Am I the one who spoiled that surprise for you? If so, I'm sorry. I guess it is kind of a "spoiler", huh?

I try to keep "spoilers" to a minimum in my reviews (or, on occasion use the spoiler "tags"), but sometimes there's a fine line between what is considered a true "spoiler" for one viewer vs. another viewer. (But, when in doubt, I suppose utilization of the spoiler tags would be the recommended action to take.)

For example, I have no hesitation at all to come right out and tell any first-time Fugitive watchers that Richard Kimble truly is "innocent" of killing his wife.

That isn't really a "spoiler", because Bill Conrad, in his opening-title narration on the very first episode of the series, tells us that "Richard Kimble is innocent". So, obviously, I feel no "spoiler tag" obligation when it comes to the question of "Did Kimble really do it?".

Many times, though, a major spoiler is revealed right on the DVD packaging notes, or the "preview" clip of the show (which will begin to appear when Volume 1 of Season 2 of "The Fugitive" arrives in June).

Which is one of the reasons why I advise people to bypass the "Preview/Trailer" clips at the beginning of an episode. Why have anything spoiled by watching a clip of something that you're just going to be viewing in the next 51 minutes anyway? Doesn't make sense to me (especially if you haven't seen the particular episode in question for quite some time, or if you've never seen it at all).

10. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary

David, I didn't mean to imply that you had spoiled anything. I took Jeff as saying that he read the liner notes and found out that way. Then again, I may be wrong on that. I was just encouraging everyone to be remember that we do have people here who haven't been spoiled at all. I remember how much I enjoyed the series the first time around because I wasn't spoiled at all. And I'm hoping it can work that way for Jeff and others too.

Gary "no offense intended toward anyone" O.

11. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Well, Gary, Jeff couldn't have read that in the DVD liner notes, because the notes/descriptions don't mention anything about....

Kimble actually running into the slippery "single-armed individual" named Fred Johnson, played by the stone-faced Bill Raisch, who actually did lose most of his right arm in WW2 while fighting a fire. [​IMG]
    But I guess it's kind of late for a "spoiler tag" now on this matter, isn't it? [​IMG]

12. Professor_Echo

Professor_Echo Stunt Coordinator

Yes, that's about right. They said that when THE FUGITIVE aired in Germany everyone stayed in to watch it, thus giving the street sweepers an opportunity to clean the streets.[​IMG]

13. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

I can see now (after watching the V1 set) why that's true [​IMG] While Mom and I have been watching this series, she has mentioned a couple of times that even though she was working during most of the "prime time" TV viewing hours in the 60's, she knew where most of the viewing audience was tuned in on Tue nights. She said that everyone back then in her age group was into this show big-time. She's mentioned to some of her peers lately that we're watching these DVD's and almost to the person, they always say "You mean, this is available on DVD?" OT here, but does that sound familiar with what we've been saying here (HTF) on several threads? It seems to tell me that we (the TSoD, HTF, Digital Bits, etc, "surfers" are the minority population.

Back on-Topic, Thanks Gary and "Prez" for the "spoiler" concerns but it's not you guy's problem if something gets posted here [​IMG] Hey, after all, I think I'm the ONLY one here that hasn't seen this show [​IMG] I laugh at myself when I read a mini-spoiler here at HTF since, as I see it, I should have seen this great show before now. But, I have to admit, as Gary and I have talkd about, it's sure a blast to see this caliber of series on A+ Xfrs, uncut (no missing scenes), without commercials for the first time. Anyway, I got "spoiled" at how the series ends when I read the Barry Morse Obituary in my local paper a couple of weeks ago. I had already known more or less that the series was given a "closeure" since QM knew into S4 that David Janssen had declined returning for S5. I won't spoil it here for anyone else that hasn't seen this show and mention what was in that Obituary article. Besides, I'm thinking I'm the only one on this forum that hasn't seen this show until the DVD release. Any "takers" on this bet? [​IMG] That's what I get for watching Combat!, Lost in Space, Time Tunnel, Star Trek (TOS), etc, back then. When the Fugitive's 1st season aired, I was a little too young to stay up that late and also the show would have been too intense of a dramatic series for me at that time. I was busy watching reruns of the Rifleman and Lone Ranger also [​IMG]

Hey, gang, I forgot to ask in that earlier post but how many of you own a copy of the "Viewers Guide" book by Ed Robertson? I received a copy from an online store earlier this week but haven't checked it out yet. I plan on using that book as I watch the show. I've been doing that with another series, "Combat!" with Jo Davidsmeyer's Viewers Guide book and that's sure added to the enjoyment of the DVD viewing with Combat! .

BTW, you're welcome, "Prez" for Post #22. I forgot to mention that I copied/pasted the text of both of your Fugitive Reviews and printed them out for my Mom to read them. She was very impressed with both reviews. "Tell us something we don't know", right? [​IMG] It reminded me of that scene in "See Hollywood & Die" episode....remember when "Kimble" was driving them all to LA and what he said to "Miles"?

[Miles] "What do you think I am....crazy?" [Kimble] "Next question." [​IMG]

Man, that's classic. Mom really loved that "comeback" from Kimble. "....Hollywood..." was one of our favorite eps from V1. Just like Gary said it would be......"Next question" [​IMG] Even the "alias" that the writers came up with, "Al Fleming", it fits the story like a glove.

As for S1V2, I'm glancing at the Fugitive online Ep Guide as I post this.....what a list of guests in this show! Robert Webber, Telly Savalas, Diane Ladd, Pat Hingle, Paul Picerni (one of my favorites from the Untouchables), Nancy Malone (Naked City), Parley Baer, Eileen Heckart, Albert Salmi, Ken Lynch, Malachi Throne, Warren Oates, Ken Lynch, Ruta Lee, Carroll O'Connor (is that who VP called "Lard Belly"? [​IMG] Lee Grant, Tim O'Connor, Madlyn Rhue, Claude Akins, Joseph Campanella.....

Like Charles said, it's a regular "who's who" in this series. "Field Day"'s right, Charles!

Gary, thanks again for watching my back with the spoilers. If it happens here, "no problem-o", Fuge fans. I should have sneaked out after bedtime in '63 and at least tried to turn on that Zenith Tube TV to watch Kimble [​IMG]

Jeff "That's what I get for going to bed too early in '63" W.

14. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    Jeff, I can certainly appreciate the "too young" for THE FUGITIVE scenario in 1963, though for me it was borderline. I would have been twelve that year in 1963, and for me TV was at its best when I was watching either cartoons or comedy. So shows like THE DICK VAN DYKE show or MY THREE SONS would always win out over any kind of drama.

Whenever I was into drama, it seemed to be of the "weird" variety with science fiction programs like THE OUTER LIMITS and THE TWILIGHT ZONE.

As a result, when Tuesday's at ten rolled around, my preference was for the long-running comedy-variety show on CBS called THE GARRY MOORE SHOW. There I was mesmerized by the likes of Garry, Durward Kirby, Carol Burnett, Marion Lorne, and popular comedians and musical acts of the day. I'd been with that show since the late '50s and wasn't about to give it up for that "train wreck" show on ABC!

But never one to be with the popular trends of the day, I was apparently pretty alone in my choice as THE FUGITIVE trounced GARRY MOORE in the ratings, ultimately leading to its cancellation. I even bucked the trend in my own family, as I can recall my mom, dad, and sisters all opting for THE FUGITIVE while I went upstairs and watched GARRY MOORE.

But the following year, I joined in for some FUGE-fun and was easily hooked on the show. Then I had to play catch-up when the show ran in daily reruns on ABC daytime whenever I was out of school (summertime, sick days, etc.).

It was then that I realized that THE FUGITIVE was indeed the best of its kind on television and it got me to appreciate the dramatic form much more. I then began to investigate the other "Act" shows from Quinn Martin, and enjoyed THE F.B.I., TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH, THE INVADERS, etc.

So THE FUGITIVE was sort-of my growing-up show - the one that helped me leave the childish things behind. Oh, I still gravitated towards comedy for a lot of years thereafter, and whenever a science fiction show popped up, I'd be around to check it out, but now I had quality drama in my catalog of TV-watching.

Today, there's not a single comedy show that I watch. I think the last one I watched with any regularity was FRIENDS. But I still appreciate great drama, thanks to Quinn Martin, David Janssen, the late, great Barry Morse, Bill Raisch, and a host of superb guest stars who really made THE FUGITIVE shine as something special.

And yes, I do remember the whole world stopping on Tuesday nights, particularly those two final episodes in August of 1967.

Harry

15. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Harry, you didn't mention Time tunnel? [​IMG] Kidding....

Since we're telling all and revealing ages [​IMG] , I was 8 in '63. I wasn't watching too much prime-time stuff back then but I remember watching the same ones as you were; Outer Limits & Twilight Zone. I was watching mostly some of the "after-school" shows in syndication at the time back then. The first clear memory for me with the prime-time slot shows seems to be Combat!'s 3rd season '64-'65, and Lost in Space S1, around that time frame.

Although I didn't watch the final episode of the Fugitive, I still remember Dad getting home from work early that Tuesday to get the lawn mowed and some of those "Honey-Do" chores wrapped up before 9pm Central Time [​IMG]

As for the "growing up" drama shows, that's an interesting point. I guess I'd say the same as you, The Invaders and the FBI were among the 2 that I remember watching after the Fugitive had been around awhile. I remember the perception that I had about the Fugitive at the time was that it was one of those "boring grown-up" shows [​IMG]

As for somehow missing The Fugitive during the syndication years, in particular the A&E runs, I can't explain that except that during that time frame (was that in the early 90's?) I was watching mostly sports during prime-time on the C-Band Dish and only 1 or 2 prime-time shows at the time. "Earth 2" was one that I really liked. I haven't watched any network prime-time show since about '96.

Jeff "Until recently I'd picked the 70's as my favorite decade for TV, but now it's the 60's by a wide margin, thanks to TV/DVD and the info here" W.

16. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Good plan. It's a very good book ("The Fugitive Recaptured").

You can peruse many parts of that book via Amazon's "Search Inside" feature.

Before writing any Fugitive reviews, I always consult Ed Robertson's book for small bits of trivia and such that I can use in the reviews...plus I check the airdates and full episode titles for accuracy, etc.*

* = But Ed does have at least one mistake in his book regarding airdates. He's got two shows airing on the same date -- Jan. 12, 1965. But it's merely a small typo, which happens to me constantly. I can't remember the last forum post I've written that I didn't have to go back and edit out at least one small mistake, typo, or error of some kind. (Thank got for the "EDIT" button, I'll tell ya. Without that on most forums, I'd go stark-raving nuts, because I cannot stand mistakes/typos!) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reminder:

All Fuge fans might want to check out the David Janssen fan website located at The David Janssen Archive. Lots of good stuff in there, including the looped low-key theme music that plays on the main page. I like keeping that on in the background on occasion. It's very soothing.

It's been fun reading the posts in this thread....and Jeff's spirited enthusiasm for The Fuge is great to see (and can be very contagious).

BTW, if you didn't click on THIS LINK in my Vol. 2 review, I think Fuge fans might enjoy it. It took me a semi-lengthy amount of time to compose that information in that link, so I like to (shamelessly) plug it every chance I get. And now seems like as good a time as any for a re-plug. [​IMG]

If only we could convince Paramount and CBS to create such a Mega-Set. Of course, sadly, since I originally wrote that, we've lost Barry Morse and Suzanne Pleshette, so obviously those "Commentaries" are now out of the question. But we can always pretend they recorded them a few years ago for the upcoming DVDs. That would have been ideal, indeed.

17. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.

Yeah, well, I DID mention the sci-fi aspect of my viewing, so we can assume that it was lumped in there. But if you really missed a reference, then I'll throw one in here. [​IMG]

Many of the great guest stars and character actors that Irwin Allen used also got duty in the Quinn Martin shows like THE FUGITIVE. In this set alone as TIME TUNNEL "crossovers" we've got:

- Carroll O'Connor, who did double duty in the TIME TUNNEL episode "The Last Patrol" was in "Flight From The Final Demon"

- Arthur Batanides who really enjoyed playing the role of Batu in the TIME TUNNEL episode "Attack Of The Barbarians" appeared here in "Search In A Windy City"

- Malachi Throne, who managed two different TIME TUNNELs, "The Death Merchant" and "Night Of The Long Knives" did FUGITIVE duty in "Rat In A Corner"

- Rodolfo Hoyos, who also covered two TIME TUNNEL episodes, "The Alamo" and "Idol Of Death" was in FUGITIVE's "Angels Travel Lonely Roads"

- John Zaremba, a regular on THE TIME TUNNEL as Dr. Raymond Swain, played a druggist in "Taps For A Dead War"

- Paul Comi, in TIME TUNNEL's "Massacre", appeared as a deputy in "Never Stop Running".

One could do similar lists with actors who appeared in other popular shows of the day, like STAR TREK, etc. and some of those lists would be lengthy indeed.

These days I really get a kick out of seeing these familiar actors exercise their crafts in these old shows.

Harry

18. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    I really enjoyed the the half of season one and couldn't wait for the second half to arrive. (I saw the series in the original run as a kid but not having cable I haven't seen it since; so it's almost like seeing them fresh.)

But what a let down starting off with The Garden House. That was so bad I wish they would have just "misplaced" the master. Not only was it a complete waste of 50 minutes; but worse it brings the level of the whole show down a notch. Campy acting. (The sister; but the character was so bad it was probably the direction.) Trite characters. (The husband's a boring stereotype. The wife was schizophrenic - which might have been fun if they played it out that way.) Just ... blecch!

Sorry, I just had to rant after watching that episode this morning. On the plus side the next one, Come Watch Me Die, is one of my favorites so far.

19. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    I'd probably have at least one complaint about THE FUGITIVE releases so far.

And that complaint would be that the spine printing doesn't quite match up between the two half-season releases. Though the words "THE FUGITIVE" printed in red on a black background are the same size and font, they don't line up when next to each other on the shelf. One is printed higher up than the other.

The CBS DVD logos at the top are of different sizes; Kimble's picture is skewed lower on the volume 2 release; the Season One Volume Two designation is in a slightly larger font; and the insert itself is slightly shorter than its Volume 1 counterpart. Even items like the [CC] and the Paramount logo at the bottom differ slightly between the releases.

Now as I said, this is all "if I were a complainer". Personally, though I DID notice these things, they don't really bother me. Really, they don't...Really...

Harry
    ...not bothered at all, really...no, really...

20. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Supporting Actor

Tina
    I also own The Fugitive Recaptured as well. I first purchased the book upon its release way back in 1993--believe it or not!?

It is very well-written, full of antedotes about the series as well as other fun appendencies such as The Phewgitive, a 1964 Mad Magazine TV satire which caputed the essence of the classic TV series as only a Mad Magazine, IMHO, can!!!! [​IMG] As with anything else Mad like Mad, I laughed heartily at this fine story.

I have always known of The Fugitive my entire life, the first of which was the 1966-7 color season which culminated with the landmark two-part series-ending conclusion, "The Judgment". And I knew of David Janssen more directly from Harry-O than I did as Dr. Kimble--at first!!!! His obit helped set things better for me upon his tragic passing at 49 in 1980.

Then, when the Harrison Ford movie came to pass in 1993, I knew instantly that this was a movie I instinctively had to attend right away--which I did at a multiplex in Atlanta on August 16, 1993. This Fuge fan had finally come home.

In the months to follow, I quickly picked up all the video tapes from the TV show as they were available (Camelot Video had some marked down for $5 a pop; Suncoast had others for $9) as well as the original pilot and The Judgment (sold seperately as stand-alone titles from the other Nu Venture Video collection) and bought the Ed Robertson book all within months before 1993 ended.

It was as if, somehow, this series was part of my subliminal DNA.

Recaptured also helped me fill in some of the blanks on the entire 120-episode run when a local TV station began airing some of the old episodes late in the summer of 1994. I managed to get all but a handful of them on video tape as a result. The tapes are still solid but are showing their age being that they all hail from the early-mid 1990s.

However, now, thanks be to these wonderful DVDs, I can finally enjoy The Fugitive with stronger video and audio than ever before. May this entire classic come to pass with ALL 120 episodes available on DVD right all the way through to The Judgment!!!! [​IMG]