What's new

The Frighteners: Director's Cut - 11-29-05 (1 Viewer)

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
I thought it got lousy reviews for PQ, citing EE and other nasty stuff. Also bare bones. I don't think I'll buy until a true release comes out with both the longer cut and the American release on the same disc possibly.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
The longer cut is only like 12 minutes extended, no need to include both movies in one package. The DC renders the theatrical cut redundant. I'm just waiting to see if the full docu is included and from the specs listed and the act that it's going to be on one dvd-18, Im guessing we wont be seeing it but I hope Im wrong and this isnt another one of Universals cheap cash-in reissues...

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
Wait, are we talking about Heavenly Creatures or The Frighteners? Or both? :D

I pray that Universal does not screw this one up. Like not using the theatrical poster art or leaving something off. We've waited too long for this.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Matt,

Hide your Laserdisc and you'll have no problem. ;)

Now, as for feeling like a Jackass... I'd toss it up on EBAY pronto. :)

BTW, has anyone seen the horrible "new" art Universal made for the original DVD re-release? It's got to be on the WORST DVD COVER hall of fame right now...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Thomas Agermose, i already own the cd jewel case version of waterworld, so you can see how long i've had that for.

but i did actually pick up the dts version at bestbuy last week because someone gave me a gift card.

fingers crossed.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I've never had a problem with the transfer they did for HC, is it perfect? No. it has a few specks and dirt here and there & rather than overt EE I thought most would say that it is a bit on the soft side at times, I think it looks fine.

HERE is what DVD-Talk had to say:

In fact if you go over to DVD-Basen and run throughout their review links for Heavenly Creatures you will find that practically all say pretty much the same thing, It's a very good transfer..but not perfect.

Personally, since you can get it for $8.00 in some places I would not deprive myself of this great film as the current DVD has a perfectly good transfer....and who knows how long it will be before PJ get's around to giving this the SE treatment...or anyone for that matter.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor

last action hero, wayne's world 1+2, braindead (aka dead alive), grosse point blank, diva, and high fidelity that about does me ;)

back to topic any news on the cover art or extras yet?

Mark Lucas

Second Unit

Well, maybe. It almost certinaly would look better than the laserdisc I've had for years. I don't think I'm ready to go thru that emotional rollercoaster of a film again though. Some films are so powerful that you really should watch them once in a few years to keep the experience somewhat fresh.

jez

Stunt Coordinator
I cannot belive they are not putting the 4hr doc on it looks amazing!

Universal could plug it like a LOTR boxset idiots they are!!!!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
from davisdvd.com

"

The Frighteners

Universal Studios has added the wording "includes over four hours of bonus material written and produced by Peter Jackson" to their listing of The Frighteners Director's Cut. Does this mean the DVD will include the complete documentary from the laserdisc box set? Very possible. There will be enough room on the DVD-18 (dual-layered, dual-sided) for the film and the documentary. However, if Universal counts the two-hour commentary track as part of the bonus materials, the documentary may be split in half. It's certainly happened before (*cough* Jaws), so it may be the case again. We'll just have to wait for an official notice soon. "

WillG

Senior HTF Member

And yes, when studios speak about the length of special features, they usually do include commentary time. But, if they are using a DVD-18, there should be no reason they could not get (at least most of) the 4 hour doc. on the disc. Hopefully, that will be the case. They did fufill our hopes with the 30th Anniversary of "Jaws" (with the exception of the trailer) Here's Hoping!

Dwayne

Supporting Actor

But if they follow company policy, they have to release the documentary split in half with the first release. The full one will get released on a subsequent release 4 years from now...probably on a new format.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

Amen, odd how none of the DVD-14 or 18's I have from MGM ever freeze up...but the one's from Uni always do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks