What's new

"The following program is brought to you in living color"-- once again!! (1 Viewer)

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Are there ANY episodes of The Shari Lewis Show available on DVD anywhere? I remember watching this as a kid and loving it. The Saturday morning show from the 60s, I mean. It's the only one that featured Charley Horse and Wing Ding along with Lamb Chop.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

One of the independents is working on "The Shari Lewis Show." I won't mention the name of the releasing company only because they have not made any formal announcement, but they are working with Shari Lewis' daughter on getting some of the shows released to DVD format.

Meanwhile, you still may be able to find some episodes of Shari Lewis' 70s era show on DVD. Some episodes were released by a dollar DVD company, Digiview, and it's possible that some of the DVDs still might be available at Wal-mart (the main retailer for Digiview products).

Digiview Entertainment

Mark Y

Screenwriter

Just as an aside, Bill Jackson (of Chicago Cartoon Town, BJ & Dirty Dragon and Gigglesnort Hotel fame) performs in three of the early episodes of The Shari Show, which were done for WMAQ-Channel 5, the Chicago NBC affiliate. (He's credited for the whole first season -- as is his co-puppeteer Nancy Wettler -- but Jackson was let go after only a few shows, for -- according to Jackson -- "upstaging" Lewis.)

The episodes in which Bill Jackson performed are:

"Leave It To Lolly"
"Lafferty Is The Best Medicine Man"
"Monday Never Comes"

Jackson offers a selection of Gigglesnort Hotel episodes at his website: DirtyDragon.com -- unfortunately nothing comprehensive, but it's at least something.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
You are not. In fact this only applies to about four Doctor Who serials (one of which has a greater problem in that at least one of its episodes had its chroma dots filtered off). The last few years of Troughton did indeed use color camera and color 625-line tape but those cameras were set to shoot only black and white since BBC1 had yet to make the leap to color at that point.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

Dark Shadows episodes are preserved on black and white 2 inch tape, not kinescope, until they went to color 2-inch tape. Don't know where you get the idea they are kines. Just because something is in black and white doesn't mean it's a kinescope. Personally, I LOVE black and white tape.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
The one thing that no one is mentioning is that who is going to pay to restore any of these things? I can't really think of much in the way of shows that were only preserved on black and white kinescope that have the commercial value that anyone would go to the expense of putting it back in color. Really, what can you name, and I'm not counting the BBC stuff, but just among U.S. TV broadcasts.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Let's explain something here: Dark Shadows was recorded on 2-inch tape, but kinescopes were used in syndication and the home video release if the original video tape was lost. The show was taped in B/W from its June 1966 debut until August 1967, when it went to color. Unfortunately, ABC wasn't into using color film for making kinescopes of its color shows, so for shows made after August '67 that have lost their original tape, a B/W kinescope was used. Hank, Scott- I believe this settles this issue. Take it from one who's been around for quite a while.......

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I get the idea from all of the literature I have read on the subject over the years which asserts that Dark Shadows used filmed kinescopes. The term is on the VHS tape and DVD releases of the show; additionally, some of the Dark Shadows distributors that sell what they term are filmed kinescopes do so for $25 per episode. MPI has also called them kinescopes for years. I suppose they could all be wrong, and you could be right. I was just using the terms they have used for years. I could provide links to the sites that assert this if you wish, but if you're correct, then there is no point in doing that. Perhaps all of them have used the term incorrectly.

BTW, I too love b&w tape, and I also love kinescopes.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Charles,

Thanks. That's very helpful, and it adds much useful and informative information. I may have actually seen those kinescopes used in syndication episodes when I was first introduced to the show. :emoji_thumbsup:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It was mentioned once on the RT Tech forum, the thread's gone so I can't look it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks