What's new

The Final Countdown SE due 3/30 (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Yes! It sounds like BU have excelled themselves yet again. I loved watching this movie as a kid, but I always thought that there was something weird about the picture quality. Later when I became aware of what pan and scan was, Final Coundown was one of the movies that came back to me. When I saw it on TV in pan and scan in 1999, I realised how truly bad the cropping is. Any 2.35:1 scope film that has jet fighters zooming around is in trouble in pan and scan. Also, all of the funky FX shots get mangled in the P&S versions.

It's such a relief to finally be able to appreciate the original framing of this gem.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member

I agree. I unfortunately was one of those persons who bought the PFE version. What a piece of horse manure that was! :D I'm so happy this film is being done right! ;) :D :) :emoji_thumbsup:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I am *really* looking forward to this release. Go Blue Underground!

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
...it looks like the original scamsters, Pacific Family Entertainment, are outta business-at least I cant find a web site through Google.

Digital Bits also has a nice review up today.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
------------------------------------------
PFE never had a web site.
------------------------------------------

They did-many here rabidly visited it many a time to check on the progress of TFC.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I was hoping they had given up the ghost.

Its notable that there is nothing of TFC there-despite the threats of lawsuits and their 'confirmed' ownership of said property.

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
Can anyone confirm if this new release is longer than the theatrical release? If there is any difference between the run time of the 1 disk set and the 2 disk set? etc.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Check the specs out here Dave; BU list the running time as 102 minutes for both versions, IMDB say the running time was 103 minutes but I doubt anything has been cut.

---
So many films, so little time...

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
Great. Thanks for the help.
The reason I asked was because enterprisesdvd.com has the 2 disker listed as 114minutes. (should have mentioned that in the first place really) Im assuming its an error on their part.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
Those screen shots from dvdtalk look very nice.

Same here!

I've never seen this in the proper aspect ratio and I'm really looking forward to viewing it on the big screen.

I'm sure this will be a completely different film experience in 2.35:1

I just ordered the single disc version for $11.98 from DDD.

I came awfully close to ordering the PFE version and I'm glad I didn't.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

Thanks for the correction. I must have confused it with another company. I do recall trying to track down more info about its reported release of The Final Countdown and not being able to find anyone at the company.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
thanks, Rich.
------
quote:"Unlike Disney's film though, The Final Countdown has little in the way of visual effects, most of which were done by Maurice Binder, the famous title designer of (among other things) many of the James Bond movies....

When the aircraft carrier sails into the smoky blue vortex that will transport them back in time, one almost expects to see silhouettes of naked women bouncing on trampolines."
-----

bring on the trampolines!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks