What's new

The FBI (1 Viewer)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Gary OS

If Warners actually does come through with a bunch of their classic titles I'll buy two titles no matter the cost: Dr. Kildare & Tarzan.

Like others here, I think Tarzan would be one I would assume the risk and purchase.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by smithb based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position

Where is the proof that these arguments hold any kind of truth? To me, these are just the internet version of Old Wives Tales. And again, if you happen to believe in this nonsense, all you have to do is invest in high quality Taiyo-Yuden blanks and burn yourself backup copies. But of course its much easier to moan and complain and curse at the moon than to do something simple like that.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

I am certainly not that. My parents didn't have a pot to piss in and I've had to work for every dime I've ever gotten. No, what I have is a good career that I had to work hard to achieve and my hobbies and interests are how I choose to spend my money. I have to work and if I needed to pay more for BOD sets, well then I would have to work more. That's all. I don't waste my money on a lot of crap that a lot of other people do so that I have plenty of disposable income to spend on my collecting. Its not unlimited either. I put aside a couple of hundred dollars a week towards my hobbies which I imagine is not much more than some people blow on eating out, going to movies or concerts or sporting events or going out drinking. Whatever. I chose to spend on my interests what others spend on theirs. Go to some POS movie and buy a soda and a popcorn and its more than most DVD season sets.

The last two years I've put aside about $200 a month for this hobby playing catch up. That will start going down next year. And as for the other interests you've mentioned, they are not on my list of activities either (neither is golfing). I've been to the theater twice since 1996 and the last time in 2001. My home theater and TV/Movie collection is my primary hobby.

In the end, a budget is a budget, regardless of what it is for each individual. And if prices go up then quantity naturally has to go down for those that can't increase the budget. Simple math. And for some who also equate more risk to the MOD program that has an impact as well. We all have to live within our means.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

Where is the proof that these arguments hold any kind of truth? To me, these are just the internet version of Old Wives Tales. And again, if you happen to believe in this nonsense, all you have to do is invest in high quality Taiyo-Yuden blanks and burn yourself backup copies. But of course its much easier to moan and complain and curse at the moon than to do something simple like that.

I believe in my own experiences. As you know I have posted them before. That is proof enough for me. I could careless if you or anyone else believes them, but I am going to act on these experiences for my purchases. I provide them as an alternate view point that people can accept or not, makes no difference to me.

I back up all my captured shows as well as anything I have purchased on DVD-R's. I have close to 3TB of content saved on hard drives, but storage still cost money and takes away from other purchases. So if I have to pay more for MOD's and then additional to back them up when there is still plenty of pressed DVD content on my wishlist, that's the direction I'm going to go.

I never said I won't purchase MOD. Especially, for highly desired content. But for the most part I am going to put my money towards supporting pressed DVD content. Since when is it bad to want to support vendor's producing pressed disks? If we want that approach to last as long as possible, is it not in our best interests to support it as long as we can until we are left with no other alternative but MOD's.

Edit: And I don't understand this "complain" and "moan" comment. I'm neither complaining or moaning but just taking my business to an approach I prefer "pressed disk". To me it is no different then choosing a Mazda over a Honda. It is a choice based on what the market provides and nothing more.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.

Ha Ha. Beat me to the punch. I was just about to post that now comes my favorite part of these threads - when the people who've been whining for years about seeing the show released then start bitching that they won't buy it because it costs more than a quarter an episode or because they don't buy Burn on Demand because the discs disintegrate after you play them once or because someone saw a speck of dirt on one of the episodes, or because the shows don't have the coming attractions on them or any one of the other nitpicking complaints you see posted. Yeah, so I guess you wouldn't love it that much. Actually, thinking about it now, since Burn on Demand should soon be just about the only way any older shows will be getting released in the near future, we won't have to see these arguments any more. The people who don't want to buy shows that way will leave the hobby and those of us who embrace it will be the only ones who remain.

Define older shows. So DVD is dying already, you're saying? I don't believe that for a second myself whether for old or new shows and have only read Internet guesses on forums on this amusing speculation, the studios/industry's said nothing that would indicate older shows won't get real DVD releases and go all burn now. I'm all for the recent on-demand approach as an additional option mind you, but it won't kill everything.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by HenryDuBrow

Quote:

Define older shows. So DVD is dying already, you're saying? I don't believe that for a second myself whether for old or new shows and have only read Internet guesses on forums on this amusing speculation, the studios/industry's said nothing that would indicate older shows won't get real DVD releases and go all burn now. I'm all for the recent on-demand approach as an additional option mind you, but it won't kill everything.

My definition of older shows is pre-1980 or so. Already? The TV on DVD thing has been going on for over a decade. Sony is out of the classic TV business as is Fox, Universal, MGM and Warner for the most part. That leaves CBS and whatever Shout and Timeless can get their hands on. No, it won't kill everything but you can't kill what's already dying. The majors have already released anything they think is going to sell well for them and so now what's left is what they can either A) get good money for licensing out and B) what they can do themselves BOD. As for preferring pressed discs, of course its better in most cases due to pricing and the fact they are more likely to be mastered from better elements. And if its a show I already have in an acceptable form, like off-air records uncut or film tranfers, then I wouldn't bother buying them either, unless its a big show for me. We all make our own decisions but I don't think its either pressed or BOD but more like BOD or nothing and I prefer something to nothing.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

I don't think its either pressed or BOD but more like BOD or nothing and I prefer something to nothing.

For me at least, it most definitely is Pressed or BOD. I'm guestimatting I've purchased some 50+ sets of pressed disks this year with plenty more on the list waiting to be purchased and more still coming out for future purchases. And I will buy some pressed disk titles as replacements to some of my captures if/when they become available. BOD is not really even on my radar yet, except for a few titles that might show up. So obviously based on wants and current collections there are multiple viewpoints on the current situation. While I will agree on slowdown I would not say the "well" is dry just yet, nor do I think it will be next year. BOD/MOD may be the future but it still isn't even a major player as of yet.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Well, we have Fox still doing the VoyageTTBOTS but it's interesting that Paramount is one of the only ones still putting out older shows, they have a couple of really big titles on their hands of course but they're still putting out 'smaller' shows as well (like Vega$). Universal had big titles too but they've gotten slow lately, suppose what they expect in sales differ dramatically (?) from studio to studio. As far as this thread's show, I guess it's also a rights issue.

LCD22

Screenwriter
[COLOR= black]That's one of my problems with MOD (and I'll pretend I didn't hear BD) is the model these studios are choosing to release these titles. It may also bring an unwillingness to sub-license to the independents. Someone (can't remember who) a few years ago brought up pressing and selling a limited number. If the desired title recoups the costs, and if it is a possibility to produce more, that's one route to go.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]I love that we're seeing more complete series sets from Shout, Time Life, and then there's also Ally McBeal INCLUDING the original music, which I hope its success means we'll be seeing more from Fox like a certain personal favorite resting comfortably at #6 on TVShowsOnDVD. As there has been a bit of momentum with ones that have been locked in rights issues being resolved, maybe just maybe... there's news for fans of The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis somewhere in 2011. (Gary, how's your crystal ball these days?)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]Right now - this is not at all a complaint - I don't see anything of interest (and that could change and hopefully with the word "pressed") with the exception of Shout! Select. So I'm not against it, just the method in which their currently being made available. That's my two cents worth.[/COLOR]

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I think Brad's point is that we have Timeless and Shout who are still holding the fort in terms of putting out pressed dvds, so the ship is not totally run aground or sunk just yet. Do I think we are moving in that direction? Yes. But Shout & Timeless, along with a CBS to a lesser degree, are still helping to keep things going.

Gary "I totally agree with everything Brad has said" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisCook

Gary "all I can say is I know Timeless is going to keep blessing us with some nice, older fare" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Here's the definition of "Independently Wealthy" :
Possessing enough wealth that one does not need financial support from another person and does not require income from employment

I am certainly not that. My parents didn't have a pot to piss in and I've had to work for every dime I've ever gotten. No, what I have is a good career that I had to work hard to achieve and my hobbies and interests are how I choose to spend my money. I have to work and if I needed to pay more for BOD sets, well then I would have to work more. That's all. I don't waste my money on a lot of crap that a lot of other people do so that I have plenty of disposable income to spend on my collecting. Its not unlimited either. I put aside a couple of hundred dollars a week towards my hobbies which I imagine is not much more than some people blow on eating out, going to movies or concerts or sporting events or going out drinking. Whatever. I chose to spend on my interests what others spend on theirs. Go to some POS movie and buy a soda and a popcorn and its more than most DVD season sets.

My use of the term "independently wealthy" wasn't meant to be taken so seriously. What I was getting at was that you've been real vocal for a long time about having spent much money on this hobby for many years. More money than many of us could spend. And while I can't speak for anyone else, I can assure you I don't spend my hard-earned money on "crap", unless by "crap" you mean supporting a wife and two kids. In fact, just like Brad, I can honestly say I don't spend one penny on any of the things you mentioned above. The fact is that we've had a pricing structure for these sets, and switching from pressed DVDs to an MOD program that uses DVD-Rs is definitely going to inflate the pricing structure to the point where the amount of different series I was able to purchase before I'm not going to be able to buy now. And I think that's why many of us aren't all that enthused with the prospect of TV on DVD moving toward a Burn-on-Demand model.

Originally Posted by smithb

For me at least, it most definitely is Pressed or BOD. I'm guestimatting I've purchased some 50+ sets of pressed disks this year with plenty more on the list waiting to be purchased and more still coming out for future purchases. And I will buy some pressed disk titles as replacements to some of my captures if/when they become available. BOD is not really even on my radar yet, except for a few titles that might show up. So obviously based on wants and current collections there are multiple viewpoints on the current situation. While I will agree on slowdown I would not say the "well" is dry just yet, nor do I think it will be next year. BOD/MOD may be the future but it still isn't even a major player as of yet.

Right Brad. One of the pleasant surprises we've had this year has been the emergence of Shout and Timeless really getting heavy into the Vintage TV on DVD market. Unfortunately it does look like we are moving toward BOD, but until Warners or another company starts really cranking out classic TV using that model I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet. And once it does come (if that even materializes on a huge scale), then I'll just have to be much more discerning with my purchases.

Gary "I also agree with Brad that we do have empirical evidence that DVD-Rs are more apt than pressed DVDs to failure and/or noncompliance with some players and devices" O.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Rather than continuing to argue, how about we take a look at what Warner controls:

Warner Brothers Presents, Kings Row, Casablanca, Cheyenne, Maverick, Conflict, Sugarfoot, Colt 45, Bronco, Lawman, 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Lawman, The Alaskans, Bourbon Street Beat, Roaring 20s, Room for One More, The Dakotas, Temple Houston, Surfside 6, GE True, The Gallant Men, Wendy and Me, No Time for Sergeants, Mr. Roberts, Hank, The FBI, Tarzan, Banyon, Nichols, Chicago Teddy Bears, The Jimmy Stewart Show, Delphi Bureau, Search, The Little People, Harry O, The Cowboys, Kodiak, The New Land, Alice, Rafferty, Code R, The Fitzpatricks, Time Express, California Fever, Young Maverick, Flo, The Six O'Clock Follies, Freebie and The Bean, Enos, Private Benjamin, Love Sidney, Bret Maverick, Goodnight Beantown, Casablanca (1983), Bare Essence, Steambath, Yellow Rose, Scarecrow and Mrs. King, Off the Rack, Eye to Eye, Spenser for Hire, Growing Pains, Head of the Class, My Sister Sam, Just the Ten of Us, China Beach, Freddie's Nightmares, Murphy Brown, A Man Called Hawk, Life Goes On, Family Matters, Courtship of Eddie's Father, Welcome Back Kotter, Chico and the Man, Mr. T and Tina, Sugar Time, Roller Girls, Another Day, The Thin Man, Northwest Passage, The Islanders, National Velvet, Asphalt Jungle, Cain's Hundred, Dr. Kildare, Father of the Bride, Sam Benedict, The Eleventh Hour, The Lieutenant, Harry's Girls, Travels of Jamie McPheeters, Mr. Novak, Many Happy Returns, A Man Called Shenendoah, Please Don't Eat the Daisies, Daktari, Jericho, The Rounders, Girl from UNCLE, Hondo, Maya, Medical Center, Then Came Bronson, Assignment: Vienna, Hawkins, Adam's Rib, Shaft, The Montefuscos, Adams of Eagle Lake, Bronk, The Practice, Jigsaw John, Executive Suite, How the West Was Won, CHIPS, Lucan, Logan's Run, Beyond Westworld, Chicago Story, McClain's Law, Gavilan

Forgot the Lorimar shows: Doc Elliot, Blue Knight, Apple's Way, Eight is Enough, Waverly Wonders, Kaz, Flatbush, Skag, Flamingo Road, Secrets of Midland Heights, Just Our Luck, Morningstar Eveningstar, Our Family Honor, King's Crossing, Two Marriages,

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The Warner Archive Facebook guy says "The Gallant Men" will be "one of the first out of the gate."

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

Rather than continuing to argue, how about we take a look at what Warner controls:

In an effort to maintain more constructive discussion I'll comment on the list of WB titles provided.

At this point with my collection of movies and TV titles I can probably go over 10 years of my standard viewing habits without repeating. So with that and other factors in mind I personally feel less likely to gamble on quite so many MOD blind buys as in the past with pressed disks. And while the majority of these titles are currently unknown to me.

Of the known titles there are a few that would be high on my list right of the bat: Tarzan, China Beach

Some others that have more recently tweaked my interest and would be probables: 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Bourbon Street

Some replacements of captured titles if the quality was a good deal better then what I have: Cheyenne, Maverick, Lawman

And I'm sure a few blind buys would still sneak in there once I read reviews about the content and actors in some of the shows completely unknown to me.

So while I do not perceive to be as active with MOD's as pressed disks of the past, it doesn't mean I won't continue some participation for the right titles. Here's hoping some of the titles I've referenced come sooner then later.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by smithb

In an effort to maintain more constructive discussion I'll comment on the list of WB titles provided.

Agreed, Brad. I'll think about this for a while and post a similar list. I do have to say that Warners doesn't have as many TV titles that I'm really interested in like, say, CBS/P has in their library. But there are a few.

Gary "still really bummed about the choices for the WB Christmas Collection" O.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
From the title list Neil posted I'd want these, please - any way you see fit, Warner...

Beyond Westworld

Logan's Run

The Yellow Rose

Harry O

King's Crossing

Scarecrow and Mrs. King

The Blue Knight

Flamingo Road

Bronk

Shaft

Search

Kaz

Daktari

Assignment Vienna

Hawkins

Chicago Story

Head of the Class

The F.B.I.

Welcome Back, Kotter

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Going on the assumption that a season set for most of these shows, especially the hour long ones, is going to run at least $50 (and possibly a good bit more) my list looks like this:

Definite Buys - Tarzan, Dr. Kildare (S1 at least), The FBI (S1, S8)

Possibilities (but money would be determining factor) - 77 Sunset Strip (S1 & S4), The Dakotas, Harry O

Interested, but not for the typical BOD pricetag - The Lawman, Hawaiian Eye, Roaring 20's, The Gallant Men, The Islanders, The Eleventh Hour, Mr. Novak, Daktari, Colt 45, Bourbon Street Beat, Northwest Passage, A Man Called Shenandoah, Cain's Hundred, Logan's Run

The larger price-tag and potential compliance issues definitely would limit my purchases from this type of BOD program. Fortunately, the WB doesn't have a bunch of shows I'd really be interested in.

Gary "TV Land ran a bunch of WB eps a few years ago and I was able to get a good gauge on many series I might not otherwise have" O.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Jack P

The Warner Archive Facebook guy says "The Gallant Men" will be "one of the first out of the gate."

Which means they are looking at shorter series first. With THE F.B.I.. Being an exception.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks