What's new

The farthest you've travelled to see a band? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I ask this after buying tickets to see a band in Boston, even though I'll have to fly there from Atlanta, solely to see the band, though there's plenty of sight-seeing to do in the afternoons.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
That's loyalty, Patrick. The furthest I've gone is from Los Angeles to San Francisco. While some could say "it's in the same state!" keep in mind that it's about 360 miles to drive it, so that's equivalent to a few states in the east coast... :D

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
KC to Denver for many shows @ Red Rocks Amphitheater, the best venue

But will be going to The Gorge in George, Washington to see The Dead and The Allman Brothers this summer !!!!!!!!!!!

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

:wink:

NYC to Chapel Hill, NC, for a lovely summer evening with Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, just a few days after the death of Johnny Cash.

Bruce opened with "Ring of Fire." 'Nuff said...

And I didn't travel there for it, but I caught Radiohead in Italy while there on business. The tickets were damned pricey, as was my hotel room (damn you, Radiohead), and the show was a bit lackluster.

RandyWebb

Agent
We should also mention the band we thought it was worth traveling to see...
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif

My trip was pretty short, only about 250 miles. Friday night in Miami...Saturday and Sunday in St.Pete. Three Grateful Dead Shows in three days (back in '87 or '88):D

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
My cousin flew from Jacksonville, FL to Germany to see Roger Waters and a gang of friends perform a few numbers at The Wall back in 89/90. Wished I was there...

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
However many miles it is from NY to England to see Procol Harum, twice: once in Manchester, once outside of London.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Hey Marvin, did you hear Robin Trower on Rockline last week? Nothing earth shattering, just promo for the new CD. There's s stream available at the Trower Power site.

And to get back on topic and answer the question...I don't know for sure, but Mapquest says 855 miles from Albuquerque to Porterville, CA to see Trower in '93.

BGL

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
OK, who here has seen the Dead?

PS Randy, you lucky, you saw shows on my birthday!which is also Bob Wier's Birthday!!!!!!!!

10-15-88 Bayfront Center Arena, St. Petersburg, Fl. (Sat)
1: Music> Sugaree, Blow Away, Walking Blues, Push, Queen Jane, Tennessee Jed, Let It Grow
2: Space> Saturday Night> Crazy Fingers> Playin> Uncle John> Drumz> Truckin> Smokestack> Stella Blue> Lovelight E: U. S. Blues
10-16-88 Bayfront Center Arena, St. Petersburg, Fl. (Sun)
1: Half Step, Good Times, Stranger, FOTD, Memphis Blues, To Lay Me Down> Don't Ease
2: Box Of Rain, Victim> Foolish Heart, L. L. Rain> Terrapin> Drumz> Wheel> Gimme Some Lovin> Watchtower> Morning Dew E: Mighty Quinn
Bob Weir's 41st birthday - "Happy Birthday Bobby" before the encore

TedT

Second Unit
This is a sore subject for me. When I heard the Wildhearts were coming to America to tour with the Dragons, after the dates were posted, and tickets went on sale, I bought plane & train tickets to travel from San Diego to NYC, Phily, & Pittsburgh. A month before the show, the Wildhearts cancelled to join the completely sold out the Darkness tour!

I still went to NYC though (had a blast) and saw the Dragons. So even though I've seen them over 150 times, I basically travelled 3,000 miles to see them again. A few other people I know from San Diego made the trip too!

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
In september of 1988 I was at all 9 shows the Dead performed at Madison Square Garden, Mike. Just a month before the show you mention. They perfomed over 11 nights, 3 shows, day off, three shows, day off, three shows. It was exhausting. I didn't travel far either, as each night I walked there from my Manhattan office.

The furthest I traveled to see the Dead was up to Oxford Plains, Maine that same year on 4th of July weekend. What a blast!

Gary_W

Auditioning
Salt Lake City to Los Angelas in '79 to see Neil Young's "Rust Never Sleeps" tour. Three college buddies and a bunch of controlled substances made for an extremely wild time.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I flew to Atlanta (from Houston) last year to see Camel on their extremely limited North American tour. I flew in the day before so I could do a little sight-seeing with some friends who drove in from Shreveport. However, Atlanta was under a torrential downpour all day when TS Bill blew through. And THEN one of the band members became seriously ill and the concert was canceled three hours before showtime. :frowning:

So do I win the "farthest traveled in sucky weather to see a band which didn't show up" competition? ;)

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
i saw the dead at alpine valley in 83...my oldest brother went to see em in essen germany in 1990

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Mine won't win, but will still be impressive: ;)

I drove 80 miles once to see Fugazi. (Santa Clara to the Phoenix Theater in Petaluma. Through SF over the Golden Gate bridge.) By myself too, in that I was new in town and didn't know anyone to go with.

But. The only place to get tickets was at a record store in ... Petaluma. So I drove up 2 nights before to get the tickets, and then back up the night of the show.

The funny part was, when I told the dude at the record store when I got them, he said shoot dude, we could have held on to one for you and you could have just picked it up the night of the show. :)

First time I saw them and still glad I did it the way that I did, because I would have been afraid all the tickets would have been gone. Did sell out.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Flew from San Francisco To London to see The Who perform Quadrophenia in Hyde Park.Best of all I ended up getting tickets from Pete through a friend. He was out at the time but it was pretty cool seeing his office outside of London.

I also drove to Washington DC from Northern Ohio to see them and SF to LA.

I wouldn't drive to the Suburbs to see what's left of the Band now.

I Drove from Northern England to Brighton once with some friends because Lemmy of Motorhead was suposed to be at the party....about 8 hours.....the #$%^& didn't show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks