The Family

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by James_Kiang, Mar 19, 2003.

1. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

Anyone watching this "reality" series? Based on the ratings I've seen, not too many people are. I missed the second episode but the two I have seen have been entertaining enough. My main complaint is that it just has too much of a staged feel to it. George Hamilton is the host and you can just tell that the shots he's in have been rehearsed and probably re-shot. It sort of takes away from the spontaneous feel that I think a reality show would strive for.

2. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

I love this show. George Hamilton is just hysterical, and definitely appears to be having a good time...

Most of the members of "The Family" are pretty annoying, but it's a pretty enjoyable 60 minutes of TV. My favorite has to be Cousin Mike, who (go figure) is the only one that's not a blood relative...

3. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

Yeah, I like Cousin Mike a fair amount myself. He seems to be one of the few that don't look down on the help/judges. Last night he was joking with the butler about having to wear black in the heat. If he knew the butler was part of the judges then it would obviously be brown-nosing, but he doesn't and it came across genuine. Aunt Donna is by far the one that bothers me most. I wonder what the reaction would have been (especially from Anthony) if they had one the immunity challenge and Mike picked Donna or the Uncle... I am really curious about the clip they keep showing of someone running a golf cart into George Hamilton's little tower [​IMG] .

4. Joel Mack

5. David_Jr

David_Jr Supporting Actor

Dave
    My wife got into this show and as a result I have seen the last two episodes. More entertaining than I figured. I loved the TV dinner sequence!! What a slap. Hammilton is definitely hamming it up, but that adds to it somehow I think. The idea of the help doing the judging without the family knowing about it makes the show, but I don't see how this will allow a future installment, ie, The Family Season 2, as the cat is now out of the bag.

6. Christopher Bosley

Christopher Bosley Stunt Coordinator

"I'll (pause grimly for effect) go inform the Family of your decision"

7. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I also find myself rooting for Cousin Mike. He's about the only member of the family that I don't find to be highly annoying.

8. David_Jr

David_Jr Supporting Actor

Dave
    I wonder how long the search for this family took?

9. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

So, I've missed the last two weeks of this show. Who's been eliminated? Have they shown that bit where they run the cart into Hamilton's stand?

10. Joel Mack

I'm not entirely sure it's been on. I know this past Tuesday it got pre-empted by Baba Wawa's interviews that got pre-empted on Oscar night...

11. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

I was thinking that might have been a possibility as well. I forgot about the Walters special, and the week before that was pretty heavy for war coverage.

12. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Is this show officially cancelled or what? It hasn't been on (that I know of) in 2 or 3 weeks, & ABC's web site no longer lists it in its list of shows.

Does ABC have so many hit shows that they can't find time to run the few remaining episodes? I could see pulling it if this were sweeps month, but it's not.

13. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

I can't recall where I read it but I think it's coming back in the summer.