What's new

The Event - season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I enjoy the show and overlook the plot holes but a few have stood out to me recently. How did D.B. Sweeney’s character escape the FBI agent to make the call to Hal Holbrook’s character? Last time I checked she was questioning him in the motel while he bled out and Sean and Leila took off. Am I missing something? Second, did Blake not figure out that the time frame for the isotopes being taken from the White House was roughly the same as when Simon left to go to the field, and that Murphy was still in the WH when the Mole used the isotopes in the coffee shop? Wouldn’t someone as supposed sharp as they portray him to be notice that?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Jim_C

I enjoy the show and overlook the plot holes but a few have stood out to me recently. How did D.B. Sweeney’s character escape the FBI agent to make the call to Hal Holbrook’s character? Last time I checked she was questioning him in the motel while he bled out and Sean and Leila took off. Am I missing something?
I am assuming the FBI agent took him in as he was in custody and his attorney was there, so I think his attorney brought him the phone and verified the holding room was secure.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Seems reasonable but if that's what happened they should have given us something to clue us in, IMO.

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

I am assuming the FBI agent took him in as he was in custody and his attorney was there, so I think his attorney brought him the phone and verified the holding room was secure.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member

Second, did Blake not figure out that the time frame for the isotopes being taken from the White House was roughly the same as when Simon left to go to the field, and that Murphy was still in the WH when the Mole used the isotopes in the coffee shop? Wouldn’t someone as supposed sharp as they portray him to be notice that?
I think they are actually way too emotionally at the present time, but if they look at all the facts, they should figure it out. Unless it is just a "stupid plot" point that they will overlook.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I was wondering how much time has passed since the plane incident? Sean and Leila seemed to go from Texas to Atlanta pretty fast, and I assume they drove.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ScottH

I was wondering how much time has passed since the plane incident? Sean and Leila seemed to go from Texas to Atlanta pretty fast, and I assume they drove.

I can't believe that it even exists but The Event wiki says that the plane stuff happened on September 20 (I guess they're using the premiere date of the series for that) and the latest episode occurs on September 23 for the President/Sophia storyline and it acknowledges that the travel time for them to go from Texas to Atlanta makes it September 24 for Sean and Leila. That being said, I imagine that the producers made a mistake because it sure seems like both storylines are supposed to be happening at the same basic time.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ScottH

Does anyone recall whereabouts in Texas they were at. If it was around the Longview area, it's a straight shot down Interstate 20 and that's pretty doable in around 10-10 1/2 hours. But if they went from Midland or Amarillo, you're looking at over 18 hours.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
So did Thomas all but confirm that the "others" are not time travelers in his conversation with Sophia? Then again, I suppose a case could still be made that they are time travelers, but from WAY WAY in the future.

Also, what was up with the conversation between Blake and Thomas in the elevator? It seemed to indicate Blake thought something was fishy.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I'm starting to think they aren't time travelers. The reason being is that anything they do in this time line could potentially affect theirs as well.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Leaving is only ever referenced as "returning home", a deliberately vague term that leaves open virtually all interpretations. However:

Originally Posted by spshultz

I'm starting to think they aren't time travelers. The reason being is that anything they do in this time line could potentially affect theirs as well.

It's not just what they do now; it's what they did then. The moment the US government captured them in Alaska would have changed history forever. If that didn't, Thomas jumping the theoretical into the practical (EDIT: with regard to the Manhattan Project) centuries ahead of schedule certainly would have. The fact that they don't give a hoot how many they change humanity's path points to them being from the present.

On the flip side, why do they look identical to ourselves? Why do they share such a strong genetic link? Why were they speaking English before they were even captured? How do they know the Event is coming?

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Thomas said something like "their economic cycles go up and down so much" as if surprised by it. If they were from the future you would think they would know more about the past, even if it was the distant past. Unless, as I said, they are from WAY in the future. Like, beyond the next ice age in the future.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

Seems reasonable but if that's what happened they should have given us something to clue us in, IMO.

This was bugging me, so I just went back and rewatched the scene. Hal Holbrook answers the phone with, "Where are you?" D.B. Sweeney answers, "In FBI custody, Dallas field office. The lawyer your people sent said this room's been swept and the line's clean."

So they did address it, it just went by so quick that we missed it.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

This was bugging me, so I just went back and rewatched the scene. Hal Holbrook answers the phone with, "Where are you?" D.B. Sweeney answers, "In FBI custody, Dallas field office. The lawyer your people sent said this room's been swept and the line's clean."

So they did address it, it just went by so quick that we missed it.

[/QUOTE]

Completely missed that. Thanks for the update.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Pretty exceptional way to end the fall run. Thomas is calling for help from abroad, and Leila discovers her father is not all he seems. It explains why Hal Holbrook's group targeted him, and it explains why he knew to tell Sean to get the hell out of there after the plane crashlanded in Arizona.

The moment in the file room had to be similar to what Clark Kent felt like the first time Ma & Pa showed him the spaceship. "Woah, so you're saying I'm half-alien?"

So now we know why they targeted these girls in particular. Questions remain: Why are they all girls? Are the only viable hybrid embryos all female? And why are they limited to 7-8 year old girls? What happens then that doesn't happen before or after that age range?

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I hope I don't have a hard time remembering what's going on with the show when it comes back. This episode was a game changer in many respects. ET phoning home. The VP going from broken traitor to defiant adversary. Leila finding out about her dad. That last one is just so major for that character. She may as well have found out she used to be a boy for what it does to her sense of identity. At this point, I'll be back when the show comes back.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Well, The Event was pretty much better than V in every way, save for eye candy in red underwear and gratuitous shots of Elizabeth Mitchell's cleavage (and don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for both).

I hope it returns.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I agree with the comments above about last night's episode. It was a great way to end the first half of the season. Many of the things that have happened now make more sense. Looking at the summary for episode 106, Loyalty at http://theeventwiki.com/Loyalty it says, "She says that two years ago, Michael Buchanan contacted her about a flight he was piloting to Anchorage, Alaska. Weather had forced him to divert off-course, and he accidentally saw the unlisted government facility near Inostranka mentioned in the file. He had contacted Madeline, having discovered an article about Inostranka she had posted on her website." So, if he was a sleeper alien then he should have known about Inostranka already. Was he trying to get her to help get them released? It does explain why he knew who the people were coming to get the plane and why he told Sean to run. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by NeilO

It says, "She says that two years ago, Michael Buchanan contacted her about a flight he was piloting to Anchorage, Alaska. Weather had forced him to divert off-course, and he accidentally saw the unlisted government facility near Inostranka mentioned in the file. He had contacted Madeline, having discovered an article about Inostranka she had posted on her website." So, if he was a sleeper alien then he should have known about Inostranka already. Was he trying to get her to help get them released? It does explain why he knew who the people were coming to get the plane and why he told Sean to run. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.

My guess is that the diverted flight was Buchanan's excuse to find out more about Inostranka. He would have known where the facility was roughly because he'd have remembered from being at the crash site. Even Thomas's information about Inostranka was pretty limited, and something tells me Thomas and the other sleeper leaders didn't share everything they knew with the grunts.

What I love about this show is that learning Michael is a sleeper agent doesn't change anything we already knew about him. He still piloted the plane under duress because he was worried about Hal Holbrook's people murdering his daughters. He still believes that Sean is the right man to marry his daughter. And he's still distraught over the killing of his wife. Despite being one of the crash survivors, he is still very much the man we thought he was.

What it does change is my theories about why Holbrook's people crafted such a convoluted plot on the cruise ship. I thought it was to manipulate Sean into doing something; in fact, it was all to disappear Leila without raising suspicions on them. If Sean could murder Vicky's boyfriend, than surely he could abduct/kill Leila. Her disappearance would get pinned on Sean, and no one would think twice about it. It also explains why Vicky and D.B. Sweeney created that elaborate sham to herd Leila to the police station as part of an ambush to take Sean out, instead of just holding a gun to her head in the kitchen and waiting for Sean to show: They needed a scenario that would rope Sean in while providing absolute assurance of Leila's safety, since they couldn't risk Holbrook's prize test subject. The stock of half-human youths out there has to be pretty limited.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks