What's new

The Euro-Mullet (1 Viewer)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Ok I've held off from starting this thread for a while but now I feel is the time. While I was touring around Europe last month I noticed a particular hairstyle on young men that I never thought I'd see while in Europe: the mullet. A hairstyle I thought was strictly a US thing but apparently not!

The "Euro-Mullet", as I call it, is mostly popular in the UK. In England it's running rampant. I mean it's EVERYWHERE in London. On the streets, TV programs, etc. But I did notice the hairstyle also in Sweden and I believe France, although I can't be sure. It certainly wasn't as popular in France as elsewhere in Europe. Then again the people with the Euro-Mullet I saw in France might have been from England.

At any rate, the Euro-Mullet is a short haircut, usually the front/top is spiked but mostly pointed in a pyramid or triangular-like shape. Sides are short. But the back is unmistakably Mullet. See hastily drawn illustration below.

It's as if Europe has taken the Mullet, embraced it and made it their own. I was like "Wow these people have taken the Mullet and actually made it cool!...in a pop punk rock kinda way... Maybe some of our European members can shed some light on this phenomenon. Could the Mullet make a comeback in the U.S.? :D

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Hey, everything that was old is now new (again).

Better get my "Members Only" jacket ready.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Oh my goodness. Now I understand why mother nature gave us male baldness...

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Unless there's a new pic of Jaime Oliver with the Euro-Mullet then no I don't think he has one. He might have an American Mullet which is generally much longer in the front, as I usually see with Oliver's hair. But the Euro version can be easily identified because it's basically a spiked haircut but with that extra mullet attachment on the back.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member

Ask for your autograph?

:D

Hmm, Euro-mullet looks like a toned-down punk hairdo. Or something you'd expect to see in a Joy Division concert way back when...

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
It is actually an old thing in Europe and only a few people have it. Those who are still living in the 80's. Some people can't get over their teenage / early 20's and stick with their old look with a mullet and very tight black jeans (straw jean is what we used to call them). They were popular with certain groups of people in the early- and mid-80's.

Definately a short cut with just the back long, or even the back short and just long starting from your neck. Horrible looking cut, thank god I never wore one even back then.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Yes, fashion victims really do stand out, don't they?

I hate to burst your bubble, Garry, and I hope you had a nice time on your visit. However, it's a fad and one largely confined to parts of London and other cities. Certainly it's completely passed by we poor hicks in the sticks. Far commoner in the UK is the fashion for shaving off all the head hair at the first sign of a receding hairline and growing a goatee beard.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Now that's a switch! Hicks in the US probably still wear mullets while hicks in the UK aren't trendy enough to get one? :D

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Indeed not. Outside the city limits we're still covering ourselves in woad.;)

Oh all right, I'll be serious. The nearest Brit equivalent to the social group you're describing would have skinhead haircuts (i.e. very short cropped hair) and spend most of their time in trainers (non-designer), blue jeans and the soccer shirts of their favourite team. The same outfit will be worn in all weathers until it gets 'scorching hot' (i.e. in the seventies) whereupon the shirt will come off, large amounts of lager will be drunk and a night in the police cells becomes a high probability.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It looks a bit like a "faux-hawk," which I believe Fallon was doing.

Jeff_Krueger

Stunt Coordinator
You should see some of the aweful hairdos here in Munich. The newest one I've noticed is guys with their hair plastered down to their skull in the front and the top back "teased up" it looks so bad I have had bite my lip keep from breaking out in laughter at some of the people I see on the subway. In fact fashion in general is quite bad here. Too many people are still living in the 80's, things like legwarmers, white jeans, or half whit/half blue jeans are quite prevelant. It's like a wierd mixture of 80's fashion mixed with a little hip-hop and alternative punk styles. It is truly bad, but then again maybe I'm just not hip, who knows

PhillJones

Second Unit
Do you mean this sort of thing?

http://www.screaming.net/news/pa/pho.../large/10.html

When I left England back in January, more and more of this kind of nonsence was making it pop culture, especially on the telly. I never saw any real people actually sporting the 'had a rough night' look. It disturbs me that they've started doing so. I'm scared to go back now.

Then again, I did live in Oxford; not known for it's fast moving, vibrant culture.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Yep that's basically it: the Euro-Mullet

I've also seen shorter versions where the hair on top and the front isn't that long. More extreme, less shaggy. But in essence that's the look I was seeing a lot of: punk crossed with a mullet. Punk Mullets?

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
For a long while I've been bewildered by the widespread fascination of this particular hairstyle.

A search on Google for "mullet fascination" turned up this interesting tidbit:

You can find more information about this particular DVD at Amazon.com.

"Remember that always dressing in understated good taste is the same as playing dead." --Susan Catherine

"Be careless in your dress if you will, but keep a tidy soul." --Mark Twain

-Mike

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I detest the term 'bed head' for those hairstyle looks. They are still all controlled hair styles. Now if they really want a 'bed head' look then just snap a photo of mua in the morning. A true 'bed head' has a flat spot on one side. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks