What's new

The Eternal Buffytastic™ Thread Part IV (1 Viewer)

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
"Those kids who watch our show say they miss Spike's old girlfriend." "Who, Buffy?" "No, before that." "Harmony?" "Yeah, must be... put that one on the show."

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure how much can be done with Harmony with Cordelia MIA, but her best material wasn't so much as Spike's girlfriend as Buffy's arch nemesis and a soldier for good.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately Cordy is on maternity leave, though she may come back for the 2nd half of the season

In other news, DB Woodside (Principle Wood) joins 24 as the new Chief of Staff, continuing the Whedonation of the show (Gavin from Angel is now a member of CTU)

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
In other news, DB Woodside (Principle Wood) joins 24 as the new Chief of Staff, continuing the Whedonation of the show (Gavin from Angel is now a member of CTU)
And don't forget that Quentin Travers(Harris Yulin) showed up on 24 last season after getting blown up on Buffy. Plus Linwood Murrow from the 3rd season of Angel was a member of Palmer's cabinet. And oh yeah, Milo in Season 1 of 24 was the same dude who played Jesse in "Welcome to the Hellmouth" and "The Harvest".
Are we sure that Mutant Enemy isn't behind all these shows? :D

Anthony Connor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Connor
IMHO :) I lost interest in the character of Cordy when a love relationship between her and Angel begain to emerge. Then it spiralled out of control from there.
Sure I liked how she matured in the last couple of seasons, but they didn't need to pair her and Angel off.
I would be fine if the creators introduced a new love interest for either character, but not together. There was to much history there already. Again IMO.
I am actually looking forward to a future season with out Cordy's character. I think it is time to "kill off" that character.
Regards
AXE

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Anthony, I think it's pretty apparent now that the love story was a fake-out. There never was any intention of getting them together. It was just to throw Angel off his game for the first part of season 4.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I've just finished rewatching season 4 of Buffy on DVD. On the whole, I found it to be much, much better than I remembered. I hadn't seen it since it was first broadcast, and since then I've sat through seasons 6 & 7, so that may well be the difference. It was great to see SMG putting some effort into acting again. And the Giles comedy moments were great too (I loved the ep where he turns into a demon). I even enjoyed the "Beer Bad" ep, which most people seem to hate. The final episode, OTOH was pretentious, superfluous garbage. IMHO. Next time I'll pretend the season ended on 4.21. :)
BTW, in Hush (directed by Whedon, I believe), are the letters on the left side of the projection board cut off by my TV's overscan? Or were those shots just very badly framed?[/subversive 4:3 OAR question ;) ]
Also, recently played through the Buffy XBOX game. That was great. Apart from all those insanely frustrating "instant death" scenarios in the later levels, which ruined my overall enjoyment. If the sequel doesn't have the capability for more frequent saving, I'm gonna pass on it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure why people are reticent about using the Angel thread to discuss Angel-related topics. Please use the correct thread in the future. Don't be surprised if Angel-related posts in the Buffy thread simply disappear if this posting behavior continues (instead of being moved to the Angel thread).

chris_everett

Second Unit
Philip,

Hush, along with every other episode except for "Once more with feeling" did have an OAR of 4:3, so anything missing would either be your TV, or it was just filmed wrong. (I'm not sure the scene your talking about, or I would check it out)

Not to get to far off topic, but is the game just action, or is there some character development there too? I'm a huge B fan, but I'm worried that the games won't measure up.

now;

rant

I'm suprised at the continued dislike of season 6. I can sum up why I like seasion 6 really easily

One morning in September, Buffy woke up and thought she was in Hell.

Funny. I remeber the exact same thing happening to me.

Season 6 did a better job reflecting reality than any show on TV. Was it different, sure, but I don't want the same show for seven years.

/rant

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Not to get to far off topic, but is the game just action, or is there some character development there too? I'm a huge B fan, but I'm worried that the games won't measure up.
Character development? Not really. But the script is very sharp (about as good as the TV series gets). It is an action game primarily, but there are many cut-scenes and one-liners thrown in too, so it does feel like a missing ep of Buffy, and not some arcade game using the Buffy brand to sell it :) All the cast is there (save for SMG, but who cares). I'd say it was definitely worth a play. The school levels are the best. Just a pity about all those "instant death from falling" scenarios in later levels (JSRF had the right way of dealing with that, and the saving).

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I'm suprised at the continued dislike of season 6.
I, for one, don't dislike season 6. I don't think it was as good as the five seasons before it, but that doesn't mean I didn't like it.

There were several outstanding episodes in S6:

Life Serial

All the Way

Once More With Feeling

Tabula Rasa

Older and Far Away

... and the four episode arc that ends the season

For many, the season was simply too dark to be comfortable.

For the Spike haters... well, this was the season that justifies their position.

-Scott

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
People will be doing the same thing they did with 4 "Now that I watch it again and concentrated I see what they were trying to do" etc etc

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I too enjoyed season 6 as much as each season prior, and even liked it more than season 4 as a whole.

Season 7 however will only be enjoyable to me as a complete set on DVD, because almost each episode is just one part of one giant movie.

I think the reason I disliked season 7 was because it didn't feel like it was the end of the series, it felt like just another season.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm suprised at the continued dislike of season 6. I can sum up why I like seasion 6 really easily

One morning in September, Buffy woke up and thought she was in Hell.
See, that's a nifty premise. But over the next 20 episodes, we never really see Buffy climbing out of her funk. We never get the good day that makes all the depressing ones worthwhile. Buffy just stays depressed, we get subjected to more and more of a character who's got no business being on the series any more, and the individual episodes aren't satisfying on their own and don't even have much in the way of forward motion in order for the audience to feel like it got something out of their hour. The idea was good, but the execution stank.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
People will be doing the same thing they did with 4 "Now that I watch it again and concentrated I see what they were trying to do" etc etc
I don't think so either. I don't need to watch it twice to know what they were trying to do. Everyone knows Joss was going for the post heaven depression in Buffy and darkness pretty much all around. I won't argue that he achieved that.

But it still doesn't make it enjoyable to watch. I still don't think it was necessary. Putting the end of the gift aside Season 6 without the darkness didn't have to be the same as all the other seasons. And thats assuming you think the S1-S3 high school years were all similar and the S4-S5 college years were similar.

I don't think anyone wanted a scripted, paint-by-numbers formula for Buffy in S6. Most people who don't like S6 just don't like it. Watching it 2,3 or 20 times isn't going to make it enjoyable any more enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks