What's new

The Eternal Angelriffic Thread (Merged) (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Alright, I'm also a victim of the Boston WB's bullshit and utterly worthless 10 o'clock news teaser that bounced in during the climactic moment... whatexactly happened?

I saw the beastie come thru the portal and then someone else (presumably Connor) also came thru the portal - then, I got to see what inanities the local WB news station was up to for the evening - and then I was returned to the "created by Joss Whedon" card. What did I miss?

And to whom do I vent me ire?

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Dont read this post if you dont wanna know the details of "The Price"

Rich,
The Price
Basically these crawly-see-through squid-like creatures came into the Hyperion right on top of the pentagram that Angel made a few episodes ago. An innocent man has one of these jump in his mouth and pretty soon he is only thinking of getting fluids in him - while his face is drying up quickly. They bring him back to the hotel and he stands up and tells Angel "All this is happening becuase of you". He then falls over and shatters - all moisture gone from his body. Then the crawly squid thing gets away. Angel seals the hotel and they split up to hunt it. After Lorne accidently breaks a light they discover the things glow in the dark. Angel appoints Fred research girl and Gunn protects her in the office until Angel takes him to the basement to kill the hotels lights. While down there Fred gets infected with another crawly squid, and at this point there are many of them coming though the portal at once. Meanwhile Angel, Lorne, Cordy and Groo are in the unexplored southern wing of the Hyperion (which happens to be a big dining room / bar / stage) when they hear sounds like birds. Groo finds its coming though the floor and he cuts the floor up a bit. They discover they have a pool in the basement of the southern wing and thats where these things are. At this point gunn has discovered Fred is infected and brings her to the crew. Gunn wants to take her to a hospital to cure her but Angel doesnt want him to becuase hes afraid the creature may get away and kill more people. Gunn and Angel fight, then Angel decides to try and talk to the creature in Fred. The creature reveals they are being chased from their home by 'The Destroyer' who wants Angel dead. Then these things in the pool start to swarm so the everyone relocates to the kitchen where they turn the ovens / stove on. Once they barracade themselves in they realize Gunn isnt with them.
Gunn shows up at Wesleys (whos sporting a beard and a nasty gash) looking for help. Gunn explains to him all about the creatures, and how its Angels fult they're here - but he wants Wes's help in curing an infected person. Wes wont help and hes pissed that all his friends never tried to come to him to hear his side of the story. Gunn tells Wes its Fred thats infected so Wes agrees becuase its her. Wes explains he doesnt want any of them to come around him again and gives Gunn a bottle of Vodka.
Back at the hotel Angel tells Groo and Lorne to get Fred to a hospital as shes getting worse - at least the hospital will get her water until Angel can find a cure - so Groo and Lorne make a break for the Lobby. Angel and Cordy stay to fight the things. Gunn catches Groo and Lorne in the lobby and gives Fred the Vodka. Angel and Cordy are being heavily swarmed by now when one of the crawly squids lands on Cordelias hand. Something weird happens and Cordy begins to glow brightly. Then an outside shot of the hotel lighting up very bright and all the squids are gone.
Gunn tells Angel he thought up the Vodka cure but Angel doesnt buy it. Gunn explains he would have done anything for Fred, and asks if Angel can understand that (Angel isnt looking thrilled that Gunn went to see Wes) and says he can becuase thats exactly why the creatures were in the hotel - becuase he was willing to do anything to get Connor back. Then Angel asks about the Destroyer and Fred wakes up quickly. She says she remembers and that the destoyer is coming now. A cloud / portal appears above the pentagram again and a very CGI grey/silver werewolf type things falls though. Seconds later a person comes though, cuts the werewolf in the throat, turns and points some small 3 barreled gun at Angel and says "Hi Dad".

Also the smaller plots in the episode -

Gavin is playing with Lilah, feeding her selective information. Lilah is about to save the Hotel (cause W&H want Angel alive) when Gavin tells her that bigshot W&H guy Angel kidnapped wants Angel to die instead. Lilah is also aware that Angel tried to kill Wes - Gavin counts this as "One step closer to Angels dark side"

Groo is accidently made aware on more than one occasion that Cordy has deep feelings for Angel. When Fred tells Cordy she should talk to Angel about Wes, Cordy says she wont becuase Angel doesnt want to talk about him - and Angel is her priority, the only one she cares about - which Groo accidently overhears. Later Groo asks her about it and Cordy says Angel is "Work" priority, Groo is "Other Stuff" priority. Then when Fred is infected and Groo and Lorne take her to the hospital Cordy decides to stay with Angel and Groo gets that look on his face again. Its worth noting that Cordy doesnt know shes doing these things - at one point in the beginning she goes off about how great Groo is, how hes like a puppy dog.

Whew.

JQ

[EDIT]- Aww shit, I misread and thought the Boston people missed the whole episode. Damn. Oh well.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was not too crazy about the "Alien/Tribble" episode on Angel, nor the deus ex machina ending with Cordy zapping the water tribbles once one of them got on her arm. Just seems like poor writing choice.

Love how Wes deduced the antidote for the water tribbles almost immediately when he handed Gunn the bottle of alcohol. We has "thickened up" physically it seems, he's got more gravitas going on now.

I thought Fred (Amy Acker) was pretty convincing as someone being possessed from inside.

The whole episode felt like marking time to me. Did enjoy Gavin pushing all of Lilah's buttons. But I think Lilah's too resourceful not to get the final word on Gavin in the end.

Connor/Stephen's reappearance angle was predictable (I knew that Holtz would raise C/S as his son and poison him against Angel in true revenge fashion.

Poor Gru, out of place, and probably fighting the inevitable when Cordy finally decides she wants Angel.

I liked the way Gunn stands up Angel. Each person's motivations makes for strange partnerships. Angel's crew is a good example of this dynamic.

Does anyone buy Fred's distaste for doing the mystical research? Seems like she might follow in Willow's footsteps and create a cross reference database for all of their books (provided they get enough time to do the translations to make a valid database).

Will Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator
I decided to take Jeff's advice and give the WB56 a call to register a complaint. I wanted to make sure that I let them know that I was unhappy with the clipping of Angel. I felt it was my duty to do my part to help make sure this does not happen again.

The phone staff was very polite and easy to deal with. It turns out Jason was right, they are at least claiming it was a technical difficulty. That makes the bitter pill of dissapointment a little easier to swallow, at least for me.

If you want to call and let them know you were dissatisfied with the way the technical difficulties were handled, then feel free to give them a call at (617)265-5656. I suggest remaining calm and polite as the person on the phone has nothing to do with what happened.

If you think a phone call might fall on deaf ears then you could write them. If I had to guess who the correct person would be to write, I would suggest the Director of Creative Services & Programming: Steven Ratner. I would send it to him care of WB56 75 Morrissey Blvd. Boston, MA 02125

Take Care,

Will

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Since the gang had learned alcohol could hurt the creatures and since Conor is "The Destroyer", shouldn't they have just had one of those two things kill the creatures? I'm glad we're seeing more of Cordy's powers...but "mysterious uber-power light blast that kills anything bad but leaves Angel unharmed" seems a little weird to me. I like her levitation thing better.

Still, great cliffhanger. I'm anxiously awaiting next week to find out how Conor and dad face off. And, I'm still wondering how Wolfram/Hart will fit into it all.

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
I have to say that I am a bit confused about Cordy's powers in a couple of ways, the main one being the vision thing. I always thought that she would have her visions willy nilly, but it was clearly implied in last night's episode that if she goes on vacation (i.e., away from L.A. and the gang) no visions. That strikes me as just a little weird and convenient.

Deborah

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone buy Fred's distaste for doing the mystical research?
I don't know as it's "distaste" as much as Fred understanding better than the others that advanced knowledge is very specialized. You need information on something scientific, especially in the area of physics, and Fred's your girl. However, she's going to be just as lost as anyone else once she leaves her field of expertise - she doesn't know the terminology, or which reference works are most reliable.

That's actually fairly "realistic" - Fred's a mere genius (with mechanical aptitude), not a pan-disciplinary prodigy like Willow. :) Heck, her skill with physics and mechanics may actually be a handicap for her in terms of dealing with the mystical ("You're violating the law of conservation of mass when you change shapes. Stop it.").

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, I think Fred's smart enough to pick up the syntax and apply herself into making sense out of the musty ol' books because Fred's great about making connections out of random pieces of information, but the table is set to bring Wes back into the fold sooner or later as the group learns that they truly need him if they are going to be effective in fighting the big fight.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I really need to go back and see the episodes where Fred was introduced, I guess. I missed them, and in the eps I've caught since she's been on, I think she's really a waste of script. :frowning: Perhaps if I were properly introduced.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
The episodes were Fred was introduced are probably my favorites - the trip thru the portal to Wherewuzzitcalledagain?

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
I was not too crazy about the "Alien/Tribble" episode on Angel, nor the deus ex machina ending with Cordy zapping the water tribbles once one of them got on her arm. Just seems like poor writing choice.
Nah, they're just in the process of bringing everybody up to Angel's level. Or, at least, into his ballpark.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Freds introduced in the "Over The Rainbow" - "Through The Looking Glass" - "Theres No Place Like Plrtz Glrb" Pylea trip at the end of last season...
JQ

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
You guys are assuming that all the mystical refence books are in English. Wesley, like Giles, reads many MANY languages that Fred hasn't even heard of.

I also wonder if the writers at Angel forgot how Angel turned into Angelus in Buffy season two. Angel and Cordy hooking up is a STUPID idea.

RANT-I am also surprised at how unforgiving everyone is around the board about Wes. By that logic, NO ONE should like Angel (he's admitted to killing many babies, not to mention Miss Calendar and the torturing of Giles). Be consistent!

I am still hoping for a Wes-centric episode showing him becoming a bad ass demon fighter.

Tony_P

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Larry. After all, what is the difference between Holtz holding a grudge against Angel for killing his child and Angel holding a grudge against Wes for kidnapping Connor? I guess there must be a statute of limitations on such grudges in the Angel universe...

Although with

Connor back from the hell dimension

I imagine this inconsistency will be entirely glossed over.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
After all, what is the difference between Holtz holding a grudge against Angel for killing his child and Angel holding a grudge against Wes for kidnapping Connor?
Well, there's the whole soul thing. The only reason Angel isn't dust right now is that it's accepted as a given that "Angel", despite sharing memories, a physical form, and some personality traits, is a distinct individual from "Angelus".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks