What's new

The Eternal Angelriffic Thread (Merged) (1 Viewer)

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Cordelia: Worst. Hair. Ever.

Disappointing episode. NO ONE is stupid enough or desperate enough to trade their soul for a TRUCK.

I was hoping for more development of the Wesley storyline. On the one hand, I don't like Wes very much and I'd like to see Angel beat the crap out of him. On the other hand, I know what it's like to REALLY screw up big time and I can sympathize with the guilt and shame that Wes must be feeling.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I didn't think the episode sucked as much as Herc at AICN did. As little as he was in it, I kept my focus mainly on Wesley. Like the Buffy episodes people like to diss (ie. Beer Bad) they often contain little subplots that will pay off later.

I haven't seen any of the Angel spoiler sites so I don't know what to expect, but I am hoping that, in his time alone, Wesley becomes a real bad ass demon fighter. I'd also like to see him hunt down Justine for some payback.

I felt really bad for him when Fred layed into Wesley, but I guess I did see her point. But it's just a matter of time before all is forgiven because I think the basic theme of Angel (and to some degree Buffy) is redemption.

Finally, does anyone else prefer the look of Angel over Buffy? Since Buffy moved to UPN it looks more artificial than it used to, and Angel looks a lot better.

MichaelD

Stunt Coordinator
Is it me or is Wesley the Mark Greene of Angel i.e. whatever can go wrong will go wrong. Going Jack Nicholson on Fred, losing Fred out to Gunn, being responsible for the loss of Connor, etc etc. This guy lives in despair it seems. He has filled the role of the brooding depressing person that Angel once was.

As to last night's episode, it didn't do much for me. Gunn's storyline was standard fare, and seeing Angel stare at the crib for 5 minutes every other segment was a bit melodramatic.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Coolness, next week looks like the appearance of Angel's son, Connor, as a teenager back from the other dimension when Holtz took him away. I hear Connor now calls himself, "Steven"
. So, can't wait for the build-up for May sweeps.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Larry, it's because Angel is now shot and lit strictly for a 16:9 frame, and lit like a movie, while Buffy remains in 4:3 land and lit like a TV show.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I wanted to beat up Gunn for being so hurtful to Fred (she's so darn cute, and deserved none of that crap that Gunn was spewing in her direction).

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Here's hoping we get back on track next week. I'll bear thru filler episodes like this as long as the good ones are as great as we've been getting.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Here's a question for you:

Do vampires have free will? Soul or not, can Spike or Angel (or any other vampire) make a concious decision NOT to kill people?

David Egan

Stunt Coordinator
The 4/22 Angel was not a great episode but it was a necessary one. It wouldn't do for the baby or Wesley situations to be resolved too quickly.

I thought that the scene where Gunn tries to break up with Fred was lame. If he can't be more honest with her then they don't have as much of a relationship as they think they do. On the other hand I do believe that a teenager would be shortsighted enough to trade his "future" for a valued object. Apologies to all you teenagers out there but we've all done stupid things, often due to the lack of perspective that comes with being young, and I think this makes Gunn a more rounded character.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I think the point of Gunn trading his soul for a truck was not because he was "a teeneager" but because he needed it to fight vampires (watch that scene again).

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
I wasn't crazy about last night's ANGEL, but I was so tired I kept falling asleep and am not sure I really tracked on everything. One point brought up vis a vis Connor that I had never considered before, however, was the complication/sadness inherent in being the immortal parent of a mortal child. For whatever reason, that particular predicament of Angel's had not occurred to me, nor do I think the show has really addressed this previously. It is interesting how they continually set Angel up to have an "ordinary" human experience and then snatch it away from him. In some way, this is very reminiscent of his failed atttempt at a real relationship with Buffy don't you think?

Deborah

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Cinescape just announced theres gonna be a 1-shot comic this summer about Cordys trip to Mexico. Apperantly the comic will tell the story of the monster that attacked Cordys hair, after her and Groo got away she had to cut it and dye it too look like a boy so they could get out of Mexico without the monster finding them again...

j/k of course.

JQ

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Hey,
Do I hear cancellation in the air for Angel on the WB? I heard a friend chatting about it (someone who really doesn't watch, so what does she know). It would be okay if we were assured that UPN would pick it up, but would they at this point?

I liked last night's episode. It relied on the weaker characters to tell the story (I love Gunn and Fred, but they are better as supporting actors, not as the main focus) and didn't get to as much of the meat of the baby story, but that is okay. It still worked. Teenagers (and others) sell their soul for a lot less than pickup trucks, so that didn't bother me. I liked the use of "Gangster's Paradise" to date the scene vs. a title card or something akin to that. Not the best episode and not up to last week's high standard, but still good.

As for last week's ending, I have to disagree with the people who think it was a "set up" or a "feint." I think it was blind anger, not the focused sort of damage that Angel could deal out in a cold way but the hot kind of anger one has after anyone close to them dies. I don't know why folks would want to see Angel ever forgive Wes...maybe it takes having a child (and I hated when parents did that to me before I was a parent, but...) but if someone did anything to hurt my daughter I would be hardpressed not to want to stuff a pillow down their throat, too. I think it is like some posters said...he wanted to have someone come and pull him off of Wesley, knowing (at least subconciously) that killing him wouldn't fix anything. My 2 pennies.

Phil

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
It has been confirmed by www.aintitcoolnews.com that ANGEL will be back for a fourth season on the WB.

UPN was contracted to pick it up for a 4th season, but I don't know if that will continue after the next season of ANGEL is over. I hope so, because 4 seasons will not be enough!
lol

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Since UPN will probably lose Buffy after Season 7, I will not be suprised if WB dumps Angel at any point that they won't be happy to take it

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Ok, despite my best judgment I watched last night's episode. For me, the supporting cast wasn't all that impressive. The only ones that I liked were Angel and Cordelia, which I suppose I can contribute to being familiar with them from B:TVS.

One thing: Who's the horned green/blue guy? What's the deal with him?

Another thing: Apply last question to the overly-pronounced guy with black eyes (a rip of Anya, IMO).

It'll be okay to keep myself busy with this until 4/30: Entropy. :D

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
Yeah, I wanted to beat up Gunn for being so hurtful to Fred
Me too, but he would so kick all our asses. Maybe we could smoke him with a really harsh flame and make him cry though.

Not a great episode. The Angel Cordy dynamic (or static) is kinda nice. Groo's use of the language is amuzing. I was dissappointed there was little movement in the Wes portion of the story. Poor guy, I just wanted to weep every time he was on screen (but a manly weeping). Fred's words were harsh, especially considering she had little to no trouble forgiving Gunn for what was basically the same sin. I suppose it's easier toget over something when it all works out in the end versus leaving a wake of destruction.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Since UPN will probably lose Buffy after Season 7, I will not be suprised if WB dumps Angel at any point that they won't be happy to take it
First, diagram that sentence, Jeff. It isn't well constructed at all.

Second, I don't know how true that would be. If I were at UPN, I'd be somewhat wary about taking on more cast-offs. "The Hughleys" seems to be doing all right, but "Roswell" is history, "Wolf Lake" certainly isn't getting renewed, and "Buffy", while probably an improvement on what UPN had in the timeslot last year, is very expensive (for a second-tier network like UPN) and has seen its ratings drop pretty strikingly.

But, then again, this is UPN we're talking about. That picking "Angel" up in the event of WB cancelling it might not be the brightest of ideas certainly doesn't mean it's out of the question.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks