What's new

The Eternal Angelriffic Thread (Merged) (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Not too surprising, but it's a shame we won't see any more Whedon-verse shows anytime soon. Hopefully he'll put out some good features.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
quote:Whedon is done with TV for now, according to the above article. And he's expecting a 2nd baby soon.

According to this: http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=18679 (This is from Sunday, Oct. 25, so it's very recent.)

quote:Joss said he is "salivating" to do a "Faith" spinoff series if Eliza Dushku wants to. Dushku, who played the angry slayer on "Buffy" and "Angel," recently said publicly she believed Fox had finally cancelled her most recent starring vehicle, "Tru Calling."

And also, about bringing back "Angel,"

quote:I asked Joss about the fake-sounding rumors suggesting that the WB wants to revive the “Angel” series. He said no one has contacted him about it.

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator
I'm as disappointed as anyone to hear about Joss's decision, but can certainly understand it given the state of TV these days and his recent experience. I suspect the Yahoo story is more up to date than the AICN story, this seems to be a somewhat sudden and surprise move. It might not be a bad thing to let the TV world lie fallow for a while. There have been signs recently that the whole reality genre has been overdone and the cycle is about to reverse, so in a couple of years who knows. It's a trendy industry, so if you don't like the current hot thing take comfort in knowing that change is always coming, eventually. (Sucks in the meantime, of course.)

Joshua_W

Second Unit
Joss' comments about a "Faith" series are from a live event held Sunday, so he said the day before the ME announcement.

I suppose it shouldn't be surprising that ME has been downscaled (I don't think he's actually shut it down, he's just the only remaining employee) since they haven't been producing a TV show since Angel ended in the spring.

Just putting all of the facts together, it sounds like Joss isn't going to be actively pursuing any "new" series, but would probably consider anything "Slayer"-related if given the opportunity.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
quote: and for the past year the fanbase did nothing but bitch about the direction of the show until time came to bitch about its cancellation.

And we had every reason to bitch. The WB wanted changes to the show to make it Angel-lite so that more people would watch it and the show didnt work until it started getting the dark edge back. By half way through the season we had some great storytelling again, the supporting characters were actually doing something other than talking and we had a story arc back.

I read yet another article yesterday about how the WB is kicking themselves and if anything I wish they would do a four hour miniseries like they did with Farscape. Why cant David do it for the fans?

Regarding the Angel plush toy, it looks like Abe Lincoln. Ughh.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've been watching Angel in syndication the past two months. TNT started with season one in the 8am slot and around the third season in the 5pm slot. I've seen in mixed order most of the first two seasons and most of the last two seasons.

Last night was what I took to be the second to last episode: The Black Thorn are slayed, and it ends with Angel and co. in the ally facing the legions of Hell (or at least of TPB). "Well, personally, I kind of want to slay the dragon. Let's go to work", cut to black.

I just hit play on the DVR to watch tonights exciting conclusion to the Angel series, and it's back to the very first episode! Get out!!!
eek.gif

I can't believe the series ended like that. I've wondered what it would have been like if Buffy had ended with the conclusion of S5. I've now got a better idea what that would have been like.

Holy Peruvian Coffee Grounds, Batman! What a way to end a series!

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Can someone help me with something, I recently watched the 4th season epsisode, Spin the Bottle and it having been a while since I have seen the whole season was wondering if someone could refresh my memory about the whole Cordie thing...

I dont think these are spoilers since it's aired but here goes...

Was it determined that the real Cordie never came back from the end of season 3 cliffhanger? At the end of "Spin The bottle" she got her memory back or was she just pulling one over and pretending Not to have her memory from the beginning of the season? If it was the real Cordie, were they exchanged at some point?

Help!

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
From what I recall it was Cordie's body but she was basically possessed. Otherwise why keep her around in the show after Jasmine's birth. Its a while since I have seen it though.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
quote:Was it determined that the real Cordie never came back from the end of season 3 cliffhanger?

Yes, the real one came back. This is confirmed by Skip in episode 17, "Inside Out".
quote:At the end of "Spin The bottle" she got her memory back or was she just pulling one over and pretending Not to have her memory from the beginning of the season?

Yes, she got her memories back, but (again as per "Inside Out") the same spell that brought back her adult memories also awoke the being inside her that became Jasmine. From that point forward, Cordelia was no longer in control.

I can understand the confusion, though, because this is one of the biggest weaknesses of season 4, and it's a combination both of the writing and of Charisma Carpenter's performance. To do this kind of thing well, the lines and the performance have to be consistent and credible both the first time around (when the audience doesn't know any more than the other characters) and then on repeat, when the audience knows everything. For a great example (spoiler-protected because it gives away the twist of a big-budget film from several years ago), see:
Helena Bonham Carter in Fight Club.
The presentation of Cordelia works the first time in season 4, but not on repeat. For one of many examples, look at how she behaves when she first wakes up in bed with Connor. She's by herself and unobserved, and yet she reacts like a young woman with morning-after regrets. But since conceiving a child with Connor is critical to Jasmine's plan, the reaction is wrong. The writers (or the actor) needed to come up with something more ambiguous. There are many other examples, particularly in Cordelia's interactions with Angelus before the big reveal.

M.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Ahhh, so it was at the end of Spin the Bottle that the being awoke. I get it. What made me think otherwise was she stomps on the bottle that makes them think they are teens again so I thought maybe she did that to sabotage what Lorne was trying to do.

So what if Lorne hadnt done the spell, how would Jasmine have come to be?

By the way, it having been a while since I had seen Spin the Bottle and boy did Joss do a good job with it.

I particularly love Fred trying to score some weed.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
quote:So what if Lorne hadnt done the spell, how would Jasmine have come to be?

Who knows? It's possible that there was some other trigger that would have awoken her (ala Knox/Illyria in S5).

quote:By the way, it having been a while since I had seen Spin the Bottle and boy did Joss do a good job with it.

Amen! It's definitely one of my favorite episodes of the show.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
quote:So what if Lorne hadnt done the spell, how would Jasmine have come to be?

That's another of the problems with season 4: the tenuous nature of Jasmine's plot. It's not a convincing master plan; it's just a series of writers' contrivances designed to keep the audience off-balance. I used to call it "the X-Files syndrome"; now I call it "the Alias effect".

M.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
quote:The presentation of Cordelia works the first time in season 4, but not on repeat. For one of many examples, look at how she behaves when she first wakes up in bed with Connor. She's by herself and unobserved, and yet she reacts like a young woman with morning-after regrets. But since conceiving a child with Connor is critical to Jasmine's plan, the reaction is wrong. The writers (or the actor) needed to come up with something more ambiguous. There are many other examples, particularly in Cordelia's interactions with Angelus before the big reveal.

My take on the Cordelia/Jasmine relationship is that Jasmine taking over Cordelia was a gradual process, and didn't fully take effect in "Spin the Bottle."

So early in the season, Jasmine was only influencing Cordelia or controlling her for short periods of time, probably a bit of both.

In "Apocalypse Nowish" you saw Cordelia have sex with Connor, only to have her show regret afterward. This would've been Jasmine's influence, giving her the nudge to sleep with Connor.

Later, in "Long Day's Journey," when Cordelia killed Manny, it seemed like Jasmine had taken over Cordelia's body.

As the season went on, there seemed to be a gradual change from Cordelia to Jasmine, and by the time Faith showed up and the pregnancy was showing, it was seemingly Jasmine in total control.

This is never fully explained within the series, but it would seem to be the most logical turn of events.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks