What's new

The Egyptian (1 Viewer)

PatH

Second Unit
With the imminent release of this title on DVD and Blu, I got to wondering if the novel on which it was based is available as an ebook. But more important than that is that while I was researching that, I found that my used hardcover that I've had since my teens (I'm 62) is an abridged edition. I hate abridged anything so how can I find out if an unabridged translation is available? Audible.com has a two volume set available which they claim is unabridged, but if they're using the 1945 translation, they are apparently in error. Thanks!

PatH

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Here's a link to what is apparently unabridged on Amazon. According to Amazon, there is no Kindle version. You might also want to try out Mobileread where ereaders of all sorts are discussed. Perhaps the General forum might be a place to post about the book. Edit: I put links to Amazon and mobileread dot com. Don't know why they're not showing.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The first few scenes look very good. I will let the review people do their expert job on the movie. I am so glad My Cousin Rachel is coming out. I cannot wait to see all my favorite Fox Films now getting a chance to be released. I have the 1949 copy and it is the book of the month selection with their insert in the book. I assume that I have the unabridged copy.

PatH

Second Unit
Mark, What I'm saying is that the novel was apparently abridged by the translator, not BOMC. Perhaps there's an "abridged by" notice in your copy. I can't lay hands on mine. In any case, I'm sure you have everything that was available for any other US reader. PatH

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Pat sorry there is no mention of it in book club news letter which came with my copy or the dust jacket. The spanish version is 712 pages and the finnish version is about 780. The 2002 new english translation came in about the same as the 1949 copy which i have. The collectors copy interests me very much.

PatH

Second Unit
new English translation in 2002 by whom? And what Collector's Edition? I'm 62 and dug up the book right after I saw the movie for the first time in my teens. Bad or good, I love the movie and there is, of course, no question as to my regard for the novel. PatH

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Pat i believe it is Lynda Robinson who did the 2002 translation. She does a forward for the 2002 book. Now i have tracked down the real info on this unabridged business. The movie has some substantial differences from the novel. Sadly, the only English language version available of the novel is an abridged version, which cuts the original 900+ page novel down to 500+ pages. The complete novel has been translated unabridged to several other languages though. I copied this from a site i googled.

PatH

Second Unit
That's pretty much what I've found, though I didn't realize the extent of the abridgment nor the fact that Ms, Robinson had done a translation in addition to the foreword I knew about. As I've read the book, I'm well aware of the differences between book and movie. Now, what's this Collector's Edition you mentioned? Is this the book or the forthcoming 2CD soundtrack? PatH

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The International Collector's Edition of the Book is what I ment. I believe Robinsion did the translation because she does an intro for 2002. I now question the so called unabridged audio version.

PatH

Second Unit
I found a website for Ms Robinson, but the email I sent bounced back as undeliverable. More when I find it. PatH

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Pat I was wrong Robinson did the forward only. ISBN 1-55652-441-2, English translation by Naomi Walford, Independent Pub Group 2002. The same translation that was completed in 1949. I think the audio has to based on this.

PatH

Second Unit
Mark: That's true as to the audio. I checked with Audible.com and they are using the Walford translation. I sure would like to talk to Ms Robinson about that foreword. PatH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks