What's new

Blu-ray Review The Egyptian Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Will Krupp said:
 What KILLS me about that quote (well, quote of a quote to be more accurate) is that, had FOX gone ahead and pressed/released THE EGYPTIAN, the exact same disc would have BEEN one of those $15 Blu-rays!
Yes, but Fox did not release the movie on Blu-ray. They didn't even release it on DVD (except in Spain) That was why some of us were willing to pay over the odds for this BRD: because we knew it was the only sure way of owning a maximum quality representation of the movie. Frankly, all this arguing back and forth is completely sterile. Those who have bought the BRD are happy. Those who have not seem to be unhappy and resentful. And, it seems, "never the twain shall meet"

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Robin9
Those who have not seem to be unhappy and resentful.
Really? THAT'S what you got out of this? I can't speak for anyone else, but I am neither. I'm just not going to buy it at that price.

You may say the argument is sterile and never the twain shall meet yet you couldn't resist taking a shot could you?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Will Krupp said:
Really?  THAT'S what you got out of this?  
I couldn't resist pointing out that you had overlooked the key issue, and your response demonstrates very clearly that this discussion is sterile and that there is no chance of agreement between the two sides.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Robin9 said:
Its not even a question of having the money, its the question of feeling cheated by someone else's business model. Again, I'm glad those of you have pulled the trigger are happy with it and consider it worth the money, but this is one I will just have to do without.
I have consistently expressed my gladness for those of you who are happy and content with this purchase (in just about EVERY post since) so why is it only a one way street and WHY can't both sides respect opinions other than their own?

** = please note I am paraphrasing

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
My pompous horse is, regrettably, in the shadow of equally pompous horses making the same consistently pompous comments.
Saying something isn't worth a certain price -- sight unseen -- is righteously pompous, IMO.
Perhaps I'm pompous about it, and pompousity begets pompousity, mind you...but I'm no more guilty of pompousity than any of you. I've never understood the mentality of someone posting empty pronouncements about a film they haven't seen or wouldn't buy blindly and ascribing it all the price of the BD.
Don't buy it. PLEASE don't buy it id you have an ounce of pompousity in you.
And if you ever get a chance to view it, pompously REFUSE because of the pompous price imposed on the pretentious buyer.
It's all about posturing anyway. Pompously, at that.
I'm going to pompously slump in my pompous easy chair and watch it again. :P

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Robin9
I couldn't resist pointing out that you had overlooked the key issue, and your response demonstrates very clearly that this discussion is sterile and that there is no chance of agreement between the two sides.
I know I should not enter this again, but I do think there is an agreement between both sides. One side wants the Blu-ray and got it. The other side thinks it is overpriced and will not get it. The two sides will never change their mind so that is the agreement. I, myself feel it is over priced but I still got it for I wanted the movie so I will be the in-between.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Makes me remember the old days, when "sell-through" VHS tapes and laserdiscs cost $40 and none of us buffs batted an eye. (And some of us still don't; I bought THE EGYPTIAN BD, and lots of $20 MOD discs, too.)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill
Makes me remember the old days, when "sell-through" VHS tapes and laserdiscs cost $40 and none of us buffs batted an eye. (And some of us still don't; I bought THE EGYPTIAN BD, and lots of $20 MOD discs, too.)
Yep, I remember paying $60 bucks for a VHS copy of Magnetic Videos Fox release of SHERLOCK HOLMES SMARTER BROTHER. Hated it when I saw in the theatres, but damn I had to have it at home. As for laserdiscs I had a promise to myself not to buy more than two a week or one collection. I would go to Dave's Video in Studio City whenever I was in LA and the promise went out the window when I looked at his sale bin. I introduced myself to some of the classic that I had only read about and still doing so with the Warner Archive. I thought I would never see some of those Marie Dressler and Joe E. Brown films, let along Jeanne Engels in The Letter.

As for Blu, if I desire it, then it will come my way for my desire makes it worth the money. Each to their own and the world is a better place with different opinions.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
Will Krupp said:
      This is just childish nonsense.  
     Quote:

And my comments were just having fun at all the "most serious discussion" that went before. I guess the pot struck a nerve in the kettle that didn't inspire a humorous response. ;)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
ahollis said:
Yep, I remember paying $60 bucks for a VHS copy of Magnetic Videos Fox release of SHERLOCK HOLMES SMARTER BROTHER.
Well, at least it was a classic.;)
I remember buying a (shudder) betamax. I researched it and determined the B has the best picture and would therefore succeed. It's the last time I bought into the bleeding edge of technology.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I still feel the pain...not from having bought into Beta -- I was never sorry about that, and I silently thank the salesperson at Federated Group who steered me in that direction (this was before VHS HiFi had appeared) -- but from the break-in to my place in L.A. in which nothing was taken except my Toshiba Beta HiFi VCR. (Still can't get over that.) This happened about the time the format had mostly disappeared from the stores, and I never did replace it, opting to give up and go to VHS ... which I then proceeded to hate from my first unit to the last.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I remember paying $80 for a Magnetic Video VHS copy of The Sound of Music back in 1980. Needless to say, it was pan-and-scan with a fuzzy-sounding monaural soundtrack taken from a mediocre 35mm source, with no intermission or entr'acte. It was on two tapes with the first ending abruptly near the two-hour mark almost in mid-sentence. Those were the days.
Soon, I was into collecting laserdiscs and never looked back. I still have most of my laserdiscs and have no regrets collecting them, as the jacket artwork remains unsurpassed.
The worst price-gouging for me was CBS/Fox pricing their letterboxed laserdiscs like "The Egyptian" (to keep things on topic) at anywhere from $59.95 to $89.95. So paying only $40 for the beautiful BluRay of "The Egyptian" doesn't faze me since its a limited release from a boutique label. They won't make it up volume, so unfortunately they have to charge as much as they feel the market will bear. And judging by this thread, they found the proper price point to move close to 3000 copies and no more.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Chas in CT said:
I still feel the pain...not from having bought into Beta -- I was never sorry about that, and I silently thank the salesperson at Federated Group who steered me in that direction (this was before VHS HiFi had appeared) -- but from the break-in to my place in L.A. in which nothing was taken except my Toshiba Beta HiFi VCR. (Still can't get over that.) This happened about the time the format had mostly disappeared from the stores, and I never did replace it, opting to give up and go to VHS ... which I then proceeded to hate from my first unit to the last.
Holy crap! My beta was burgled too.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
When I say nothing else was taken, that includes all of the other gear in my A/V rack which was pretty decent stuff for its time -- definitely steal-able and fence-able. And I don't recall anything else in the place missing.

Now of course it's possible to score a quality well-restored Beta HiFi unit on eBay for a reasonable sum, and in the intervening years I schlepped two large boxes full of tapes from place to place, "just in case" I decided to do just that. But I never did. And now? Nah. Sad to say, they've gotta go.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
Ummm....no. The Blu-ray and standard DVD version of "The Egyptian" are ONLY available through Screen Archives Entertainment. If you find a copy anywhere else, it's a copy being re-sold by someone who bought at SAE.
The only item SAE had in its inventory was the single-CD soundtrack of "The Egyptian". The item is now grayed-out. It, too, can be bought at Screen Archives at the discounted price of $4.95.

Marius W

Agent
Real Name
Marius Willms
I case anyone is interested...
The Egyptian is being released in Scandinavia in November by SoulMedia as a DVD Blu-ray combo edition.
The funny thing is that this is a budget release here in Norway, priced at approx $14 plus local sales tax (25%).
021d3acf_egyptian-dvdbd.jpeg

I was a little upset with SAE. When I received my copy of "The Egyptian" I didn't get the magnet. I wrote and they told me that I could get it when I ordered my next item!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks