What's new

the DVD Collectors' insanity... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I buy three or four DVD's per week using cash or check. That is probably a low figure for many movie collectors, but it's all I can afford. But, then, if I want a Kubrick or Hitchcock box set, I use a credit card and end up repaying the debt for months. And having accounts at Best Buy and Circuit City and Wal Mart is not good for me. Do I watch all of these movies? Of course not, nor do I get around to listening to all commentaries and sampling all extra features. I am a COLLECTOR. I obsessively hoard. If the item is on the shelf, and I own it and have instant access to it 24 hours a day, that is often enough to satisfy me, even if I ultimately NEVER WATCH THE MOVIE ON DVD AT ALL! I used to be a record collector (the vinyl variety). When I had half of a given artist's output on LP, I searched high and low to fill in the gaps in my collection, and might play the albums when I found them...once...before relegating them to one of many shelves. Is this a means of showing off? Do I want my neighbors to be mightily impressed that I have a far more extensive collection of something than others on the block? For me, this is not about besting the Joneses.
I want to impress MYSELF. I might have ended up hunting down all buffalo head nickels ever made or every cancelled stamp from Ethiopia had I acquired different interests, but instead I search stores and dot.coms for a left-over copy of SEVEN SAMURAI with a four-minute restoration demo still intact, since bidding on one at eBay would cost me a whole week's DVD budget. Collecting is a sickness, really, no matter what the item(s) being accumulated. But it's so damn much FUN, and what an indescribable feeling to walk through the door with a bag full of brand new movies! I will happily spend a half hour removing shrink wrap and security stickers, re-aligning the artwork so that it's straight beneath the plastic on the keep case and the spine is just so, and pop each disc in the player only long enough to see that the aspect ratio is correct, the colors are true, and the sound is awesome. Then I push "eject," replace the disc in the case, and spend another half hour sliding rows and rows of DVD's around on the shelves to make room for the new ones in perfect alphabetical order. Yes, I can part with stuff. I weed out DVD's I know I won't watch...but the point is I BOUGHT THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE KNOWING THAT, and just had to own them for a while. We're talking analyst's couch time. So, the moment of truth...how many more like me are out there, considering taking out a second mortgage in order to add another several hundred DVD's to a collection, even titles that will never be watched? I'll lie down and await your responses. The doctor is in.

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
Nice post! I buy a ton of DVDs myself (I have to count them at some point, but it has to be over 300). Plus, I never open them until I watch them. I bought A League of Their Own when it forst came out and it is still sealed! (I may soon change that policy though in case the disc is damaged).
Plus, one of my problems is rebuying. I just sold copies of Die Hard Trilogy, Galaxy Quest, Last of the Mohicans, and Total Recall and Basic Instinct just so I can buy the new versions.
------------------
screw.jpg

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
What amazes me is that I'll plop down $$$ to own a disc of a film I REFUSED to go see in a theater. Among my recent wants: Dude, Where's My Car? and the 2-dsc American Pie. Both are films I rolled my eyes at when ads came on TV for them. I got my tax rebate today and first thing in the morning I'm hitting Circuit City. My plan is to buy the Marilyn Monroe collection (worthwhile) but I know I'll also get something (searching for the right word) less good...no...that's not right...crappy...yeah, that's it. Give me good presentation and some extras and I can justify anything.

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
I know exactly what you mean. Although, while being 17 years old and being subject to the menial pay that most 17 year olds are qualified (or forced) to make, I have to be a bit more judicious in my DVD buying.
That just means that SOMEONE I know has to like it. Doesn't matter who, as long as a certain disc gets a good referral from someone, anyone, I'll stop at nothing to get that bad boy on my shelf. I figure that if it was worth the time of another human being out there, then its worth it to have it in my collection.
About 6 months ago, I was actually naive enough to believe that my addiction was getting better. Fortunately (or unfortunately as my parents deem it), I rekindled my love for anime and have since gone on an anime buying rampage, spending my paychecks even before I receive them.
What makes anime especially hard on my bank account, is my affinity for anime series which are almost always 6 or 8 disc sets. Plus with me, if I get started on a series, even if I don't like it, I have to suck it up and buy the rest of the discs "just to finish out the set". It's sad really.
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

"Here's to us poor schmoes, working for the man. Even if he is a hot, sexy female man."
"But as a gentleman, I must warn you, if you so much as glance at another woman, I'll be on her like a fly on a pile of very seductive manure."
[Edited last by Joe_C on July 24, 2001 at 02:52 AM]

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Wow! Dick, reading your post was like looking at myself in the mirror! I do the EXACT same things that you do when I buy dvd's, the only difference being when I buy them, I truly do intend to watch them and all the extras, but, like you never do. Take 'The Legend of Bagger Vance' for instance, I bought it two months ago, and it hasn't seen the inside of my player yet!
I do agree that collecting is a sickness, it's obsessive behavior that's makes us want to own every dvd or record, or baseball card out their! Because if we don't, we feel like our collections are inferior in some way, and were falling behind. It appeases this feeling every time we buy dvd's, but it doesn't last long does it? For me, after the initial feeling of getting something fresh wears off, usually a day or two, I must have more to feed that insecure feeling once again, it doesn't stop!
But i'm making it out to sound bad, it's not, like you said it's fun! It's a sickness yes, but it's one that does no harm to us, at least physically, to our wallets, now that's a different story.
------------------
No Soup For You!

DAMN!!! I think this is the BEST thread i have read. I myself have only 30 dvd's (hardly a collection) Seeing as i cannot afford many movies & also that i am vary picky as to what i spend my money on. I wish i had your addiction.
biggrin.gif

------------------

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
well, here's my story. this is an excellent thread and makes one not feel alone in this crazy passion
biggrin.gif
:
I still have laserdiscs I never opened and watched. Among them, there's BOUND, GODFATHER 1 and 2 etc. Some lds I watched 30times. I have now stopped watching ld almost completely (except for JP and LW which blow away all dvds, except maybe the new dts JP ).
As for dvd, some stories: I bought LIVE BASIC INSTINCT, never opened it till a few weeks ago, 2 days before ARTISAN announced the new SE edition !! argh!
I had THIN RED LINE, in DD. never opened it. Then came the dts version, sold the dd one and bought the dts edition. Never opened it because... I want to save it for the CRT projector I'm planning to get to replace my LCD
biggrin.gif

I even bought BATTLEFIELD EARTH ( wouarf ! ) and... watched it. ouch!!!!
I bouth BEN HUR, CLEOPATRA, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA but never opened them, to save them for the CRT proj.
GLADIATOR, I could not resist: I had to watch it, done it 10times certainly.
The trend I follow is this: I try to get the dvds asap but in the end, I end up watching part of some of my favourites.... crazy. But collecting them is nice, truely nice.
lds, while being more expensive per unit, at least we were able to get the good release the first time and we did not see so many reissues etc.

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
At times...I vow that I will lay off the DVD spending for a month or so...then the law of averages kicks in. I usually buy 3-5 DVDs a month...sometimes less depending on what titles are being released.
I'll make it through about a week or two then BAM! I buy 5 DVDs at once!
What can I say.
I have 199 DVDs now since October 1998 on my limited budget.
On a related note:
Why do some people think you're a rental store when you have so many DVDs? My attitude is, hey...I spent my hard earned cash on these movies because I'm a HT nut...go buy your own movies!
My collection isn't merely for show...they are my pride in this hobby.
I love opening up my DVD shelf and seeing all those DVDs...its a sense of pride that I've come this far in collection DVDs.
------------------
LuvLBX

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
What amazes me is that I'll plop down $$$ to own a disc of a film I REFUSED to go see in a theater.
Damn, I thought I was the only one! And I'm not talking about films I didn't get around to seeing theatrically, but films I would NEVER have gone and seen.
But despite the massive quantities of new (and good) titles now being released, my collection hasn't grown to enormous proportions. I keep selling off old titles that I know are very unlikely to get watched again. If I watch a film and don't like it, it's usually up on Ebay that evening. Men Of Honor, Final Destination, Dungeons & Dragons (which, btw I didn't think as half as bad as people reckoned) and lots of others all got sold off before the dust had time to settle on the case.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
After reading your post Dick, I truly felt that I wasn't alone anymore in this world. I am a rabid film fanatic & collector who is constantly spending more than he should for DVD's.
I grew up in the 1970's, when my movie watching was dictated by the networks and my parents. I dreamt of a future where I could actually OWN my own movies and play them whenever I wanted. I started collecting Lasers in 1986, while I was in college and ended up owning over 1300 discs. I was in heaven, knowing that I could watch any given movie whenever I wanted to. Now my passion is for DVD's and I can't stop buying them. All the DVDs I buy are purchased with the intention of being watched and re-watched. However I own so many that there are still titles that I've bought 2 years ago that I still haven't watched.
My biggest problem is that, even though most of the films being put out by Hollywood I have no interest in, there are still tons of films being put out on DVD that I want. That's the curse of being a film fanatic.
I'm glad to see that there are other addicts out there who can't get that damn DVD monkey off their backs.
[Edited last by Jay E on July 24, 2001 at 08:34 AM]

John Choi

Agent
It's nice to know I'm not alone.
I console myself with the fact I tend to only buy movies that are cheaply priced, with some exceptions. I just picked up a bunch of movies at Best Buy for $9.99 and will only buy new releases on the day they come out. At Best Buy this often will be under $20.00. I figure if my girlfriend and I went to the movie while it while still in the theater, it would have $18 for the both of us. For a few dollars more, I get to keep movie, see some supplements, and it's nice to know I have it on hand in case I want someone else to see it. Buying movies is easy with this sort of justification.
Plus, I used to collect laser discs. I still remember when a typical movie without extras would cost 35 to 40 dollars, let alone the fist full of dollars a collector set would cost. It cost me $100 each to see the director cuts for the Abyss and Aliens. At the time it seemed worth it and it still does. I guess that's the good, bad, and ugly of collecting movies we love.
[Edited last by John Choi on July 24, 2001 at 09:16 AM]

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Hi, my name is Yohan, and I'm a DVD-aholic.
While not quite squandering the family fortune to buy DVDs, I am rather obsessive about buying them. Right now I have 134 titles in my collection, a paltry sum compared to most of you junkies, but to me I've almost reached critical mass. By "critical mass" I mean the point where I become ultra selective in buying DVDs. Right now I'll still buy titles that I'm not sure I'll like. For instance, a couple of weeks ago I picked up Snatch at Best Buy because it was a 2-disc edition and it was $16.99. I hadn't even heard any friends' reviews on this movie, hadn't seen it myself, but decided to buy it anyway because it looked cool and was cheap. If that's not an illness I don't know what is.
But I think things are getting better. Although I have all the symptoms of a collector (gotta have the best version, really anal about keeping discs and cases pristine, etc.) I think my collectorism is either in its early stages or it's gone into remission, because like I said I'm more selective about movie purchases now. Having Netflix to rent movies from has helped immensely. After all, I'm still in it for the movie-watching experience, not just the DVDs themselves. This should be everyone's mantra who wants to be cured of DVD collectorism--"I'm in it for the movies, not the DVDs."
Does that mean there's hope to cure this sickness of mine???
------------------
This screen has been formatted to fit your movie.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Step 1 - buy more DVD
Step 2 - buy more DVD
Step 3 - buy more DVD
Step 5 - buy more DVD
Step 6 - buy more DVD
Step 7 - buy more DVD
Step 8 - buy more DVD
Step 9 - buy more DVD
Step 10 - buy more DVD
Step 11 - buy more DVD
Step 12 - buy more DVD
hmmmm, wonder why the 12-step doesn't work..... :)

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
I think I'd have the same addiction if my budget allowed for it. Thankfully, it does not. I'm pretty selective as far as buying... but I'm up to 175 since November 1998. *shrug* Not nearly as impressive as most members here by a long shot... but it's a collection I enjoy. I just wonder if I had more of a disposable income if I'd have more DVDs? heh heh... I think we all know the answer to that.
Cool thread!! :)
Scott.
------------------
Scott's DVD List

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
Our house has only had a dvd player since Christmas 1999 & since i'm the only one who actually uses the player....my collection so far is only around 60!!! :)
Other than being on a budget + somewhat careful about what i buy it's slowly growing and so far I don't regret getting any of the movies i own aside from two cheap bargain bin titles which i'm gonna get rid of sometime. The rest of my collection consists of all time favorites or good movies that are loaded with extras & i'll watch at one time or another which is months-years apart since i barely have time except for late night to watch anything + got to be in the right mood ect.
Theres tons of movies being released soon & some which already are that i would love to get but may not for awhile since i'm on a budget + want to spend my $$ on other things as well such as cds,hot clothes, & enough to go out ect & enjoy life for a change & also save up.
+ i used to be a major movie freak when i was younger and bought to many movies on VHS-about 100 which is alot considering i was young + hardly any room for them. Then i found out about widescreen and found out how horrible pan & scan ect was that i gave it up unless avalible in widescreen on VHS which was rar aside from Fox's LBX series & my LBX collection was very small-6 movies. + didn't have enough for a LD player or LD's no matter how much i pleaded with my mom to buy one,luckily she didn't,lol. Then finnaly it went away & i found other things to do,then along comes dvd & widescreen is most important to me other than extras which are nice since i grew up on VHS & pan & scam
frown.gif
. So you can imagine how hard it is to resist buying a movie if only to see it in it's OAR for the frst time(usually). But i found a way to get over it,and be more responsible at buying so i don't go overboard :)

CamiloCamacho

Stunt Coordinator
I'm on the wave too. I have a little collection mainly because shipping, taxes (this makes my hobby more expensive here than in the US). I'm a Movie-holic but i have found a way to spend less money, but keeping the movies. Buy VCD's or used DVD. If i Really like a movie i buy it on DVD new, if i can't i go to half.com and buy an used version, and if i still cannot buy it, i go to eurekamovies.com/

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Hmm. In some ways I'm more obsessive than some of you guys, and in some ways a lot less so.
I have over 450 dvds, but not a single one that I haven't watched at least once, and none that I don't plan on watching many more times in the future. I have almost all of the bond films, but I'm not going to buy A View to a Kill, cause I didn't like it. It sounds like some of you would feel that to be a hole in your collection that needs to be filled. Since I view my collection as the set of movies I really like and want to watch again, I don't see it as a hole.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Dammit Dick, you just described me perfectly... down to a "T". Even the "sliding DVDs up and down the shelf to make room for new ones"... I even go so far as to worry about breaking up films in a series just because I'm forced to move one or two movies in that series to a lower shelf.
What I also like to do is compile lists of upcoming and future release films and decide which of them I'll buy (I usually update the list on Monday evenings after the weekend news has been published)... even going so far as to give the movies a number of importance (ranging from 1-5). What's worse is I'm even starting to do this with LDs (now that I own a player). Evaluating which ones I'll purchase in relation to when (or if) a DVD of that film will be released.
Ack! My God what a sad state we're all in. Heh, the bad part is, I wouldn't change a thing even if I could. :)
One place I do differ with you though is on selling DVDs. Even if the movie is a complete stinker, I can't sell it... dammit man, it's like giving up one of my children, even if that "child" IS an ugly little spud.
wink.gif
Although, I do give away some movies as gifts, but that's only when I happen to buy a newer version of that DVD (ie. The Mummy).
------------------
"But you have to remember that a worm, with very few exceptions, is not a human being." - Freddy
[Edited last by JerryW on July 24, 2001 at 12:25 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks