What's new

The Dukes of Hazzard movie seems to be looming closer... (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Kain,
despite what I said about Simpson, I agree 100% about Jessica Biel, she is hotter and would have made a better Daisy, she's the only reason I own both Summer Catch and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake. :b

Eric,
I agree with you about Charlie's Angles, just hearing the name 'McG' makes my teeth chatter from fear, and I can't yet comment on Dukes until I see it, but your coming down too hard on Starsky and Hutch IMO.

The film, while it does poke fun at the quite frankly strange, almost homoerotic, nature of their relationship, the filmmakers went out of their way to produce a serious feature length episode of the show, complete with the real music and camera zooms and the result was both funny and a respectful throwback to the show.

It made some harmless fun at the sensabilities of the show and the characters and there's nothing wrong with that IMO, and I also doubt that any 'S&H' fan anywhere in the world was up in arms about it. I mean if anyone gets upset to the point of actually getting ANGRY at film's like these, then there is something not right, again IMO.

I mean come on, some of these shows, good or not, just beg to be parodied. :laugh:

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

I don't disagree, but then call them a parody and give them a different name. I don't think that parodies should use the same name. What if somebody made a comedy out of Casablanca and called it Casablanca? There would be riots in the streets:D However if they called it "A Night in Casablanca", then that's perfectly okay in my book. :D

So here are some new names:
Harley's Angels
Darcy & Hutch
Hazzard County Rebels
etc....

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
??? What super powers did they have in the movies?
Probably talking about all the wire fu.

Personally, I thought Charlie's Angels was an enjoyable piece of fluff, which is what the TV series was, but in a different way. I did like that the ladies were more capable than their TV counterparts, but I did kinda wish they did a more serious take on the concept.

Jason

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
James Bs review was so bad, he didnt even give a review. 1/2 a star from him.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This is my fave from RottenTomatoes.com:

"The film's ambitions are so low that it's hard to imagine how it fell short of them."
-- Maitland McDonagh, TV GUIDE'S MOVIE GUIDE

:laugh:

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
This was an embarassing movie. The shots are so obviously fake of downtown Atlanta - there are palm trees in several shots! They also really took away a lot of the family spirit that was in the tv show as expected. Daisy should have really remained a brunette.

That said - the car chases are good, there are a few funny moments and Jessica shows a lot of booty although the sorority girls are prettier imho. Sean William Scott is fun as ever to watch.

2 of 5 stars. :frowning:

Jason Sweet

Stunt Coordinator
I thought it was decent. The General and Jessica both looked great. Sean William Scott was funny. I liked how they poked fun at several of the cliches from the series, like Daisy always shaking her butt to get the guys out of trouble, and the stuff about the Confederate flag was great. I'm glad they didn't bow to PC pressure and remove the flag, and acknowledged it in a funny way.

The bad stuff for me were the rival racer (played like a bad impersenation of Ben Stiller from Dodgeball), Rosco (who lost his soft and bumbling side), and as another poster said the lack of family between the Dukes. These Dukes played less like "good ole boys" and more like cast members from "Jackass". The original Dukes always had street smarts had always had a plan, while these guys just bumbled along and laugh like fools alot of the time.

That being said, I enjoyed it for what it was, a decent remake of a decent TV show.
3.33 out of 5

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
One more thing...Burt Reynolds gave a really clumsy performance I thought. This should have been a movie he shined in.

Go see it as a "popcorn" movie and you will enjoy it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The film starts out a little rough, with some empty "space" in some scenes between the characters, but once the cars start to rev and haul ass around Hazzard county and "Atlanta", it's a fun ride for its threadbare plot.

Sheev grew on me, he just cracked me up once they established his quirks. I recommend it as a matinee joy ride.

I give it 2 stars or a grade of C.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Enjoyed it quite a bit. Wasn't just like the show, but it was funny and had lots of car racing, jumping and wrecking. And Hogg would've gotten away with it all too if it wernt for those Dukes!!!!!!

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I saw Ebert and Roeper's review on TV this week and I think it was Ebert who said about Jessica "I've never seen someone act so poorly that is seemed as if English was her second language."

:D

Peace,

DM

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I thought this was fun - not a great movie, but just a fun one. The car chases were well done, and I particularly liked the outtakes that showed the real results of those car jumps. The Duke boys were made out to be a whole lot dumber than they were on the TV show, and Roscoe's character was more sinister than the bumbling dimwit from TV. But the movie has a lot of charm, and even Jessica Simpson, who cannot act and could not recite her lines worth a damn, was very charismatic. Her smile is so bright it can light up a darkened theater.

I particularly liked the scenes in Atlanta where the symbols that the show used for years (the General Lee, the Confederate Flag) were questioned by the modern population in two funny sequences. I also liked the use of the narrator and the freezing of the action is key moments.

Did Warner's splurge for having real General Lee's at various theaters? Because there was one at the theater I was at, and it was a beauty.

Rian

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if they have one of those in Toronto because I'll definitely go out just to take a picture of it.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I particularly liked the scenes in Atlanta where the symbols that the show used for years (the General Lee, the Confederate Flag) were questioned by the modern population in two funny sequences.
It was funny but that city was nothing like Atlanta. They must have shot it far away because it did not look like any Southern city to me...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks