What's new

The DualDisc format and the Talking Heads (1 Viewer)

Eddie W.

Stunt Coordinator
TimJS - I'm curious about the packaging differences as well. I saw these at lunch today and they appear to be in Digpacks. I'm wondering if they also include the same booklet that is in the Brick? The Brick has a booklet for each CD that has original artwork on front/back (though with absolutely no text on back), a short essay on the 5.1 mix by Harrison, some quotes from other artist the album has influenced, lyrics, pictures, and credits. Plus a card from a book called "What The Songs Look Like". Did the entire booklet get ported over to the stand alone releases?

And don't forget Speaking In Tongues in that 2nd wave. This one sounds amazing in 5.1. Luckily also it's the long version that was originally released only on cassette (and later pressings of the CD).

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I have not yet received the import DVD-A plus CD double-disc sets, but someone else has... and the news is EXCELLENT!

For North American (non-VAT paying) consumers, these discs ring up at £8.50 rather than £9.99. I purchased the four now available releases ('77, Buildings and Food, Fear of Music, Remain in Light), and the total with standard airmail shipping came to £40.05. Not exactly cheap, but not bad for 2-disc hi-res/redbook imports.

Remaining discs will street in February.

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
I got the brick for Christmas and this leaves me quite peeved. These dualdiscs are terrible. They refuse (at least Speaking In Tongues) to be ripped to my Mac. They play in my Adcom GCD-750 CD player fine and the DVD-A played in my Denon 2910 fine as well. However, I use my iPod a lot and now I have no Talking Heads. I want to buy these imports but ARGHHHH more money. Stop with the damn dual discs in the US already!

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
Just an FYI for Pioneer 588A owners:

I picked up "Fear of Music" on DualDisc with a little trepidation, since I'd seen a few posts on other forums saying the Pioneer unit would not play the hi-rez multi-channel DVD-A tracks.

It played just fine on my machine, as did the recently released Jackson Browne "Running on Empty" DVD-A set which had also been mentioned as problematic in a few other posts.

Both titles sound terrific despite their less-than-optimal recording heritage, and they truly benefit from the new multi-channel remixes.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Its good to see that we have a choice. Those of us who haven't had a Dualdisc problem can enjoy our sets, while the imports won't break the bank for anyone else.

I waited a long time for these reissues, and am generally very happy indeed, minus certain stupidities like not putting the "Once in a Lifetime" video on "Remain in Light"! Maybe they plan to flog us a stand-alone DVD of "Storytelling Giant" in a while, as I think that 5 of the videos there didn't make it to the Brick.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I finally got my "test" TH disc (MSABAF) and am happy it plays in my best DVD-A player (RP-82) and best CD player (Anthem). So I guess I'm safe for the whole Brick.

I did not mind the packaging of the single disc as far as content, but it's an awfully flimsy case for a known "delicate" medium IMO, pretty chintzy on their part (dust isn't even kept out like on regular digipaks), I think R2's getting a better deal there.

Anyway, am I correct in thinking these discs put out 96/24 digitally from the player? At least the "downmix" light doesn't go on on the player, usually does for DVD-A digital output (though sometimes that downmix *is* 96/24 [192/24 source], more commonly 48/16).

I am interested in this because if it is truly 96/24, I will go to some slight trouble to re-cable for external DACs in a better signal path, one my DVD-A player doesn't use. Thanks.

I may be weird but I preferred the 96/24 mixes, sounds more "natural" to me. Though all the mixes were decent, and the 5.1 sounds lots less goofy and gee-whiz than some I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks