What's new

The Drumbeat for a Verizon / Apple partnership is getting louder (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
To parrot MBW discussion, it seems a cinch that Apple is working on (something like a ) 5" 960 x 540 (one-quarter 1080p) tablet using iPhone OS 3. This will be a new tablet computer and/or netbook response. It would be a niche smash hit (oxymoronic?) Though I wonder if the average user would find much value in a larger, clunkier device?

I can't envision a smaller, cheaper iPhone, the rumored iPhone nano. It doesn't seem like a good idea to me, just yet. But I'm just a dog on the internet...

As for Verizon? Sounds like pure fiction. It's perverse to have an iPhone nano and iPhone mega but no actual iPhone on Verizon. Maybe it's an end-run around Apple's contract with AT&T? Maybe Apple thinks it needs to ramp up revenue in the recession? Maybe it wants more leverage over AT&T? Maybe RIM is being targeted by Apple's death-ray satellites with an unexpected push into all US carriers with Apple OS devices?

If there's a new device, speculators believe we'll hear about it at WWDC.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hmmm...

You know what? I was a loyal Verizon user for years prior to
the iPhone.

When the iPhone came out on the AT&T network and I had to switch
over, like many others, I was yelling and screaming about the less
than stellar AT&T service.

Have to tell you, however, I kind of have grown accustomed to
AT&T's service. Have had no real problems over the past year
and I love the roll-over minutes which prevents me from having
to go to a more expensive plan when I need the extra time.

And, truth be, Verizon has been one of the most crooked companies
out there when it comes to controlling and locking features on their
phones which I hear is one of the biggest reasons Apple chose AT&T
over that service.

Bottom line is, I am not unhappy with AT&T and hope that Apple
continues its relationship with that service.

So far, it doesn’t look like Verizon is going to get anything big iPhone
wise. It looks like lighter fare.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
BusinessWeek article and video (thanks to DF)

My "pure fiction" balloon is certainly popped by this article.

This business reminds me again why I wish phone hardware and phone service were separated. I want to buy the best phone and buy the best service. Imagine if you had to buy your TV from your cable / satellite company. You want a Samsung LCD, they it's ComCast for you. If you want TW then you have to go with Panasonic Plasma. It's asinine.

And as I look to upgrading phones for my wife and I, it's nothing but confusion. She might like the new Palm Pre; that's Sprint. I look forward to an iPhone; that's AT&T. Or we stay with Verizon and she gets a Treo (blech) and I get a Blackberry (blech) from work. We can't get the phones of our choice without borking our carrier choice.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I'll believe it when I see it (Verizon iPhone). Of course with the recent Microsoft "Zune phone" news (they are supposedly releasing it on Verizon in 2010 (talk about 3 years too late...)), Apple may want to make sure there isn't a "carrier umbrella" to paraphrase Tim Cook.

But the most likely scenario is leaks as AT&T contract negotiating tactic. Even if the source is Verizon -- wouldn't they want AT&T to pay Apple double for the iPhone?

Oh, and I'm with Ron -- I'd never go back to Verizon.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
MBW gives comments from an unnamed source in Verizon that discussions are real, and refer to bringing iphones to Verizon in 2010 or 2011 on their next-gen network. If correct, this is all nothing more than previously expected: Apple will bring the 4G iPhone to Verizon's 4G network in a couple years.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It probably would be like that if any of the cable companies had real competition. For 99 percent of subscribers out there, having TW means not even having Comcast as an option and vice-versa. Once FiOS breaks through the franchising agreement hurdle, we'll start to see that change.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
AI is claiming a 10" tablet out in Q1 of 2010:
www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/07/24/apples_much_anticipated_tablet_device_coming_early_next_year.html

Originally Posted by DaveF
To parrot MBW discussion, it seems a cinch that Apple is working on (something like a ) 5" 960 x 540 (one-quarter 1080p) tablet using iPhone OS 3. This will be a new tablet computer and/or netbook response. It would be a niche smash hit (oxymoronic?) Though I wonder if the average user would find much value in a larger, clunkier device?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
DaringFireball has also had some comments suggesting this AT&T's exclusivity is on the decline. MBW I think spoke of rumors of a non-phone table. This is all interesting to me technologically, but the prospect of Verizon getting a tablet but no iPhone is a loser of deal, IMO.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Well, I think it is common knowledge that the iPhone contract with AT&T runs through xx/2010. So the only thing Verizon could get before then is a non-iPhone device. But I think it highly unlikely that Apple will extend the AT&T deal, so likely the 2010 iPhone model will go to others as well. The question is will LTE roll out be far enough along to justify a LTE Verizon iPhone in 2010.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
You ever happen upon an old reply of yours and wonder what the hell you were talking about? After reading my May 4th post, I can only conclude that I didn't actually read the post I was quoting.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I like the game being played by the Tablet rumor. Lacking any news, commentators are now playing rumor jumble by mashing together two previously played out rumors to get something new to page hits.

So:
* New camera coming to Nanos.
* Steve Jobs got a new Liver.

=> Steve Jobs' new Liver is made of nanotech with cameras built in that take snapshots of his organs to watch for future disease.

You can play along!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Don't hold your breath on this one, folks...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/07/verizon-iphone-chatter-is-getting-harder-than-usual-to-ignore/

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
There is NO possible way Apple is dropping a LTE/4G phone this summer.. no way at all. People can rumor it all they want, but you can basically guarantee that will not happen. I don't mean "kind of" I mean, no way in hell.. maybe -next- year, but no way at all before January 1 next year, and likely not for some time right after that. And no LTE support is even brewing anywhere.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
but we're noticing a particular confluence of facts that has us intrigued: it'll drop sometime in Summer, possibly in concert with the announcement that Verizon's first commercial LTE networks have gone live
Or maybe the next iPhone will come this summer just like it has for the three years prior?

Perhaps there will finally be a CDMA iPhone on Verizon or Sprint this year. But I agree with Matt: no LTE this year. Why would Apple sell a phone for a network that doesn't yet exist?

And I can imagine a Sprint phone first, as Sprint will certainly take Apple's conditions after the Palm debacle failed to help them out. And two carriers with a wildly popular iPhone helps Apple get negotiating leverage over Verizon.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
LTE tests looking good.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/verizon-tests-lte-in-boston-wows-coffee-shop-customers

I still don't think we will see iPhone on Verizon this year, but I don't think it will be June 2012 either..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks