What's new

The Downfall (Der Untergang) German DVD (1 Viewer)

MathiasKlemme

Auditioning
Just letting those of you interested in this film know that the recently released german DVD (region 2) of "The Downfall" has english subs for the main feature.

cheers,
Mathias

Sten F

Second Unit
I can answer that with a "Yes". Only the Premium 2-Disc digipack Edition has English Subtitles. Not the single disc.

Don´t think the extras has subtitles as I don´t have it yet.

keith/uknuts

Auditioning
Hello guys nice pics of the packaging infact thats the 1 iv ordered as well.Just a quick question though, is the picture quality on this dvd set really bad.The reason i ask is iv read a review of it on a german site called dvd inside and the reviewer on that site was not impressed at all.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't look like this film is going to get a wide release in the UK, which is a crying shame as it looks amazing and the central performance is said to be extraordinary. We're not in blustery, hammy Robert Caryle territory here, it seems.

Is this 2-disc set worth importing? Hmm. I would hate to order this, only to see a UK SE announcement a week later. I've seen it happen so many times before with German releases.

Here is the DVD Inside review: http://www.dvd-inside.de/scripts/reviews/Review.php?ID=2200[/url]

The problem seems to be that the print used it a bit scratchy, soft, overly dark, has compression artifacts. But it is said to be a fairly sharp transfer.

Of the sound, the DTS is said to be average, with the bunker scenes having no real surrounds, but the combat scenes outside being quite good. Some minor distortion was noted, however.

Extras:

German for hearing-impaired one, English

Extra:
• animated menu, animated chapter overview
• Trailer
• Making OF (59 min)
• Melissa Mueller speaks about Traudl Junge (8 min)
• The shelter - a virtual guide
• Interview (47 min)
• The historical figures and their actors (text boards)
• Biographies
• Dreharbeiten? (48 min)

"The Making-of earns its name and belongs to the better ones to its kind. It consists predominantly of interviews and photographs of the dreharbeiten.

What does "dreharbeiten" mean?

I think I might just wait for other editions before going for this.

MathiasKlemme

Auditioning
In my opinion it's a very nice looking DVD. The picture is sharp, and colors are accurate. Not the greatest transfer I have ever seen, but it gets the job done and it's really nothing to worry about when you're thinking about getting this. The DTS track sounds great to me!

Sten F

Second Unit
Ordered the 2-disc last night from CDWOW for USD 19.65.

Their 20% discount link worked again... for a short time that is. No longer working, though.

Richard>S

Grip
Out of curiosity i heard that there was going to be a 3 disc edition released in the Netherlands, don't know how true this is but was wondering whether anyone could shed any light on the matter?

Sten F

Second Unit
An Extended Edition of Der Untergang are expected to air on German television around Christmas as a 2 part series.

It´s this version that eventually will be the 3-Disc edition. However, don´t expect this to become available before 2006.

The extended edition has been released in Germany as a 3 disc edition. With the 28 minutes longer cut spread over two discs. But is has only a 2 channel dolby surround track.

However, here in The Netherlands, the 3 disc edition was also released, but with a full bitrate DTS track (1509 kb/s) :D

unfortunatly for international customers, it only has dutch and french subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks