What's new

The Doors: 15th Anniversary Edition - 12/12 (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Newly-remastered transfer
6.1 DTS-ES
Documentaries and featurettes
43 minutes of deleted scenes
Foil packaging

Rock 'n roll!

htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

P.S.: These perhaps aren't final specs, as it's missing the commentary from the previous edition, and trailers. I doubt they'd leave that off.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Damn it, I finally bought this a couple of months ago. Oh well.... it was only seven bucks. :D Worth a double-dip.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Yea theyre milking us for everything they can with HD around the corner.

But 16x9 with DTS???:eek:

Sold.

Now if I could just get a decent copy of Nixon

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The doors disc in the stupid Stone set from years ago that I got seems to have all these features other than the DTS. I didn't realize that it wasn't 16:9 though.

I might double dip it if it shows up in a clearance rack somewhere.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
The Pioneer Special Edition LD (PSE96-77) has 71 minutes of extras...but no DTS.

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
It doesn't look like this edition will have the commentary. I suppose you have to give up something to get something else. Personally, I think the 16x9 and DTS ES clinches the deal for me.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Hope this is still a two-disc...and it's so...purple.

Seems like it's been reissue-mania lately, I'm been buying more double-dips than new movies...

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
Rented this the other night,been waiting several years for a real anamorphic "remastered" version. Never bought any other version except the original laserdisc back in the day.

First of all,this is one of the WORST transfers I have ever seen!
Obviously on old,ugly film source. Filled with grain,dirt,halos you name it its here.

Sound is a little better but not as good as I was hoping. Good bass response,tends to be a little front heavy though. Can't comment on DTS unfortunately.

Haven't watched the extras yet,but looks like everything from previous versions are still included here.

Vincent-P

Second Unit
I just watched the DVD tonight, yes it has the scope Tri Star logo & does not have the full-screen Live Entertainment logo that was on the previous DVD. When comparing the new DVD & the previous "Special Edition", I discovered something I've never seen mentioned anywhere about the old disc & another reason to upgrade: the previous DVD was a PAL->NTSC transfer! Granted it's the best PAL->NTSC job I've seen because I didn't notice when watching it, whereas normally I'm very sensitive to PAL speed up. The old disc runs for 02:14:58 & the new disc runs 02:20:30. That matches the 4% speed up & now with a correct transfer to compare, I can tell the old one sounds sped up. I thought the new transfer was very good, take a look at the opening titles, they are much much sharper & well defined than the blurry titles on the old transfer. The film is never going to look crystal clear due to the cinematography. I thought the new transfer was very good for the intended look of the film.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

I thought the film looked amazing the two times I saw it projected theatrically on big, BIG screens. Maybe the stylized cinematography doesn't translate perfectly to standard-def home video, but it sure looked "crystal clear" and sharp-as-hell in 35mm. I'd love to see this in High-Def...

Vincent

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator
I am not surprised. It appears to me that every home video distributor that acquires the ‘Carolco’ catalog neglects the video presentation equation.

Total Recall SE
Basic Instinct SE (Unrated Director’s Cut)
Reservoir Dogs SE
The Last Emperor (Director’s Cut)

I wish some other studio would buy these titles off them and give die-hard fans proper releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks