What's new

The Donna Reed Show: SEASON 4 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Greg2356 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't you worry Rodney, I am going to be on top of this situation which concerns such an important matter as being able to view future episodes of "The Donna Reed Show." I am getting more upset about this, now that the initial SHOCK is subsiding! I have always been a very 'Avid Crusader' when it comes to this Great TV Series!!!!!! Just when we all get to enjoy "The Donna Reed Show" after years of longing for it, this show is just suddenly ripped away from us, when we had needed this show more than ever, considering the state of the world!
I will certainly be posting about any further developments that concern this Wonderful Show!!!!!
Thanks, keep us posted on this one. This show is my 2nd all-time best blind-buy show on DVD. Somehow, I missed watching this one years ago but it's a gem for my collection!

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
I think that is really great Jeff that you discovered a show such as this... It takes me back to remembering when I too had first discovered "The Donna Reed Show." I didn't start watching the "The Donna Reed Show" until I was ten years of age. And the reason I didn't start viewing this great series until I was 10 Years Old was for the very fact that I had seldom watched any Nighttime TV since I was too busy doing other things, like playing. And during the Summer Months, I'd stay outside playing until it got dark, and had no real interest in Nighttime Television. Until one Summer Evening, I came in from outside, and my Mother was watching "The Donna Reed Show" when it was in it's 'Sixth Season'- Well, that was it for me!!!!!!! I had spotted that 'Beautiful Face' of Donna Reed and the Rest Is HISTORY!!!!!!! I Never Stopped Watching "The Donna Reed Show" from that time on!!!!!! Of course, after this show went off the air in 1966 I had no choice, and 'The Daytime ABC Reruns' also went off as well. This show only came on for a brief period of time in the very late 60's on a 'Local Independent TV Station' in my area. And like I said in a previous post, during the early 1980's in which I believe it was in the year of 1983, this series had returned to my Local Area, and then two years later the "Nick at Nite" TV Cable Network picked it up for a run of Nine Years!!!!!

Anyway Jeff, I wonder if you felt the same Excitement & Enthusiasm for this "Donna Reed Show Series" as I did, when I had first discovered it at the age of ten? Just a thought!

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Greg, I'm a big fan of this show too. In fact, just yesterday I was thinking that season 4 would probably be out for mother's day and that I hadn't heard any news about it yet. I wasn't at all worried because I was under the impression that the first 5 seasons would definitely get released. Boy was I bummed when I read your post! I really hope we do get the rest of the seasons some time soon. I was born in '67 so I didn't start enjoying the show until the Nick at Night run. Please keep us posted with any news, I know I'll be constantly checking this section for any Donna Reed threads!

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
I am happy to hear Bob that your a 'Big Fan' like me in regards to "The Donna Reed Show." I often thought it would be kind of fun to get together with a lot of devoted fans of this Great Sitcom and watch it together!

I know first hand that Donna Reed's Children worked very hard for many years to retrieve the "Trust Rights" to these 'Five Seasons' of their Mother's TV Program. So it just stands to reason that they will do everything possible to see to it that all 'Five Seasons' concerning their Mother's Television Series will be released!

I am looking into this matter hour by hour to try to find the answers of what is really going on with these "Donna Reed Show" Season Episodes! It's truly a labor of love!!!!!

I can't wait to view 'Season Four' since I haven't seen many of the episodes from this Particular Season! When I hopefully get the chance to see these episodes, to me it will be like watching Brand New Episodes of The Donna Reed Show! It will be so much FUN!!!!!!!!!

Furthermore, whenever I watch the "Donna Reed Show," it is just like receiving one Big Continual Hug!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Greg2356 /img/forum/go_quote.gif">
I think that is really great Jeff that you discovered a show such as this... It takes me back to remembering when I too had first discovered "The Donna Reed Show." I didn't start watching the "The Donna Reed Show" until I was ten years of age. And the reason I didn't start viewing this great series until I was 10 Years Old was for the very fact that I had seldom watched any Nighttime TV since I was too busy doing other things, like playing. And during the Summer Months, I'd stay outside playing until it got dark, and had no real interest in Nighttime Television. Until one Summer Evening, I came in from outside, and my Mother was watching "The Donna Reed Show" when it was in it's 'Sixth Season'- Well, that was it for me!!!!!!! I had spotted that 'Beautiful Face' of Donna Reed and the Rest Is HISTORY!!!!!!! I Never Stopped Watching "The Donna Reed Show" from that time on!!!!!! Of course, after this show went off the air in 1966 I had no choice, and 'The Daytime ABC Reruns' also went off as well. This show only came on for a brief period of time in the very late 60's on a 'Local Independent TV Station' in my area. And like I said in a previous post, during the early 1980's in which I believe it was in the year of 1983, this series had returned to my Local Area, and then two years later the "Nick at Nite" TV Cable Network picked it up for a run of Nine Years!!!!!
Anyway Jeff, I wonder if you felt the same Excitement & Enthusiasm for this "Donna Reed Show Series" as I did, when I had first discovered it at the age of ten? Just a thought!
It's interesting for me, having not seen this show when it aired, originally or in syndication. I'm still not sure how I missed this one over the years since I was around as you were back then, most likely a little younger.
What I saw with this show on DVD, was the great chemistry between the main cast. It's the best sitcom from that era that I've seen. The "kids" play off each other very well and remind me of my own sister and myself back then :) I also think that Donna R and Carl Betz worked well together. That's the first time I'd seen Carl Betz in something other than a "bad guy" in one of those QM production cop shows :)
I also like the S1 opening theme tune. That's one of my favorite TV tunes.
Up until "Smallville", Donna Reed was my #1 blind-buy running away. I know that's a strange combination (SV / DR)

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif"> Sorry, my rather Weird Sense of humor had just gotten let out of the bag here for just a moment...

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Funny "Smallville") Har har You actually had me going there for a few seconds
Early bed times....summer outside.....ice cream truck coming down the street.....mowing lawns.....Lincoln Logs.....great memories :)
We're probably about the same age - I'm 55.
I have 1 sister - no brothers. She's 4 yrs older and is doing well.... :) very well....married a millionaire and they travel around the world for ice-skating events, big fans.
Dad used to watch the Dick Van Dyke Show back then, and Naked City, Combat! (that one's my all-time holy grail show), The Fugitive, Dennis the Menace, LITB, and Gunsmoke. Those are the ones I remember Dad watching most of the time. Mom worked during prime-time most weekday evenings so she didn't watch much TV back then. That's probably why I missed this show back then and just somehow missed it during the syndication years.
Here's the tune from a site :)
http://www.televisiontunes.com/Donna_Reed_Show.html
I have that one in my WAV playlist on the PC.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis /forum/thread/298785/the-donna-reed-show-season-4#post_3670401
Funny "Smallville") Har har You actually had me going there for a few seconds
Early bed times....summer outside.....ice cream truck coming down the street.....mowing lawns.....Lincoln Logs.....great memories :)
We're probably about the same age - I'm 55.
I have 1 sister - no brothers. She's 4 yrs older and is doing well.... :) very well....married a millionaire and they travel around the world for ice-skating events, big fans.
Dad used to watch the Dick Van Dyke Show back then, and Naked City, Combat! (that one's my all-time holy grail show), The Fugitive, Dennis the Menace, LITB, and Gunsmoke. Those are the ones I remember Dad watching most of the time. Mom worked during prime-time most weekday evenings so she didn't watch much TV back then. That's probably why I missed this show back then and just somehow missed it during the syndication years.
Here's the tune from a site :)
http://www.televisiontunes.com/Donna_Reed_Show.html
I have that one in my WAV playlist on the PC.
Thanks Jeff for the Donna Reed Show Tune!!!! I once had that song on a Cassette Tape that I had received for a Christmas Present back in the 1990's. But that tape gave out on me sometime ago. And then I had it as a WAV File, but I lost that too because my computer at that time gave out!!!!! So it was great hearing that song again on the link you so kindly added to your Post!!! Thanks Again!!!! And Yeah, your right that we are close to the same age since I just turned 57 this past December. Yes, I do remember very well the Ice Cream Trucks coming down the street and running into the house to get some change from my parents in order to purchase an Ice Cream Bar. And Mowing Lawns!!!! Boy do I remember that!!!!! I spent a lot of time Mowing Lawns since we had three of them!! I loved that more innocent time, and "The Donna Reed Show" is very reflective of that Fun & Cozy era. : )
Our family watched all those shows that you listed! I believe that my Grandmother was quite a fan of "Naked City." My father just absolutely loved "Combat" it was his most favorite show! My younger brother was really into to the "Dick Van Dyke Show" in fact, we all were at that time... So many quality shows to pick from back then- it was Truly Wonderful!!!!!!

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
For any reading that have deglected to get into the Donna Reed show so far, DD is having a pretty good sale on the first two seasons for between $15 and $16 a season.

I bought season one a while back but have lacked the time to watch it yet (in other words it hasn't made its way into the rotation), but I just picked up season two knowing all the good reviews.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Originally Posted by Dave B Ferris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Deep Discount (DVD), I believe.
Yes, your absolutely Correct----DD stands for: Deep Discount
Click on the Link below to be taken directly to one of their Donna Reed Show Products.
http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/categoryID/CD9DE572-7C10-4BAB-8117-20632D686FDD/productID/AD4FEF5D-2B4C-4283-8147-A94041721FBE/
Note: On the Deep Discount Web Site, there is a slight mistake for the review of 'Season Two' since it says all Episodes are Complete and Uncut. Where it should read: Episode Number 46 entitled, "Flowers To The Teacher," and Episode Number 62 entitled, "The Gentle Dew," appear to be Edited Syndicated Episodes, but all the rest of these 38 episodes from this 'Great Series' are Complete and Uncut as they were originally broadcast during this 1959/1960 Season.
Season 1 & Season 3 regarding "The Donna Reed Show" have No Uncut Episodes whatsoever, they are all Complete Unedited Episodes!

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
If you would like to email 'Shout! Factory' and ask them to release the remaining seasons of "The Donna Reed Show" or possibly ask them to offer a 'Complete Box Set' regarding all the seasons of "The Donna Reed Show," ------------------------->
Their email address is as follows------> [email protected]

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
All is not lost!!! In fact, I have some rather Good News!!! Donna Reed's Daughter Mary Owen has just recently stated on 'Facebook' that her and her siblings definitely own the Rights to the Fourth and Fifth Seasons of their Mother's TV Show!!! Mary is determined to get "The Donna Reed Show" out to the consumers, but she doesn't want to deal with distributors at present, and is thinking about distributing her Mom's TV Series on her own!! Mary Owen has also stated, that the 'Fourth Season Episodes' from her Mother's Television Series have been transferred from film onto a digi-beta, which she and her siblings have in their possession. Now she needs people to help her put these 'Fourth Season Episodes' onto DVD. So just sit tight everyone, since the wheels are just now beginning to turn again regarding The Donna Reed Show's Fourth Season Release!!! /img/vbsmilies/htf/drum.gif

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Sounds like they're biting off more then they can chew if they want to go it alone. What are they going to do, transfer them to DVD themselves and burn copies from of them from their home PC and sell them in paper sleeves?

If they're interested in getting their mother's work to as many people as possible rather then selling maybe a couple of hundred copies in paper sleeves online, they really should get in touch with a professional company like Shout Factory. That's their best bet in getting their mother's work widely available to as large an audience as possible.

There isn't a fortune to be made in the program like I sort of get the sense they might think there is (With the previous distributor concluding their releases due to perhaps not being able to come to an agreement for season 4 & 5 and with that comment about not wanting to deal with distributors at present). Going alone just doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Originally Posted by LeoAmes
Sounds like they're biting off more then they can chew if they want to go it alone...
Actually, it's probably not as complicated as you think. With the new burn-on-demand programs Amazon has, distribution is as simple as uploading the files to Amazon. However they would still need a professional to do the authoring of the DVDs from the master "digi-beta?" recordings. But I agree, signing a deal with Shout Factory would be a much more sensible solution.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Originally Posted by Mark-P
Actually, it's probably not as complicated as you think. With the new burn-on-demand programs Amazon has, distribution is as simple as uploading the files to Amazon. However they would still need a professional to do the authoring of the DVDs from the master "digi-beta?" recordings. But I agree, signing a deal with Shout Factory would be a much more sensible solution.
This is what is being decided, just who is going to be doing the authoring??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks