What's new

The Dobbs HT: Starting From Scratch (1 Viewer)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Drywall finishing day 2 of 3 completed. One more day then we can start painting! 5 gallons already purchased.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
diablo rojo said:
Pictures?
Haha, soon, I just want to have them finish up the drywall work. BTW, they took my terrible drywall installation and made it look pro, just by the exceptional work they did on the mudding and taping. Still gotta shave off the bottom 1/4" so that it's not touching the floor.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Drywall finished!

081.jpg

082.jpg

083.jpg

Last edited:

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Painting started last night!

May have to reconsider the double-door approach. I wanted a soundproof studio door, but unfortunately they're way too expensive - $3,000.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
I used a solid door, used acoustic seal around all the frame and an exterior bottom seal. After it was up, I found that weather strip along the sides and top decreased sound transmission. My other door was made locally at a millwork shop. The sign said the did custom cabinets and doors, so I tried them out. I supplied smoked glass and the hardware, they made the door to specifications, along with the frame and door jam. It fit perfectly, and I paid around $150. Measure carefully, and if the wood is to be finished with stain and some sort of finish to show the wood instead of paint, specify that. It may make a difference in what sort of wood is used. This was a single door, not a double, that I used on the area for equipment.

If you aren't using something from a builders supply or someplace like Lowes or Home Depot, you might want to see what you want to sound proof a door and get an estimate to have it built. My cost for a custom door was a lot less when I had it made locally.

But a double door may be more complicated.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Can not wait to see pictures of the finished product. Would love to see pictures when your theater is finished.

Reactions: PMF

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Bobofbone said:
I used a solid door, used acoustic seal around all the frame and an exterior bottom seal. After it was up, I found that weather strip along the sides and top decreased sound transmission.

But a double door may be more complicated.

Thanks. I think I will take this approach...

1) Install a solid-core interior door

2) Install a door seal kit.

3) Sometime in the future install a second door and door seal kit.

Brian

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Dave Moritz said:
Can not wait to see pictures of the finished product. Would love to see pictures when your theater is finished.
More photos soon. Finishing up painting and the installation of lighting fixtures today!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks