What's new

The Dobbs HT: Starting From Scratch (1 Viewer)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
155 wires run. In terms of wiring, the scope of the project at large includes...
  • 15.16 Home Theater with 4 TVs and 1 Projector
  • 7.2 Media Room with 2 Computer Stations
  • 4-Camera Video Security System
  • 7 Station Intercom System
  • 20 Additional Circuits

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Coreyb8042 said:
Hey Brian, any progress on the theater ?
Hi Corey, thanks for asking. And welcome to the forum! I'm honored to be your first post.

I was actually going to give an update today as a matter of fact.

I had to take an extended break for the past few months, but I'm just now getting back into the swing of things.

Just this past weekend I ran 6 speaker wires to the ceiling for Dolby Atmos (if it ever reaches the consumer market).

164 wires run. In terms of wiring, the scope of the project at large includes...
  • 21.16 Home Theater with 4 TVs and 1 Projector
  • 4-Camera Video Security System
  • 20 Additional Circuits
I'm constructing the bulkheads now for the HT and the rest of the basement. I hope to get to insulation and drywall in the spring.

Before drywall goes up in the theater I plan on blowing in cellulose insulation and installing MLV. Then perhaps some QuietRock dryall.

Reactions: PMF

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Got my eye on the GoldenEar Triton One speaker

GoldenEar-Triton-One_w.jpg

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Quick update.

Since the scope of my basement construction includes more than just the home theater, I wanted to briefly mention my progress. My basement, when fully finished, will include...
  • Home Theater
  • Full Kitchen
  • Media Room
  • Full Bathroom
  • Mud Room
  • Drum Room
  • 2 Closets
  • Unfinished Area
Everything has been framed. All electrical has been run. I need to do additional plumbing and HVAC work but...

I have started installing drywall! (40+ sheets of 12' ultralight sheetrock)

The catch is that I won't be able to purchase drywall for the home theater until next year because I need to install cellulose insulation and mass loaded vinyl first, which will cost over $2,000. Both of those materials need to be installed before drywall obviously. I am also looking at this inline HVAC duct silencer.

I plan on installing cellulose insulation in the summer, and purchasing the MLV at the end of 2014.

Andretti

Agent
Real Name
Bryan
I am honestly astonished by all your preparation for your theater and everything else going on in your basement. The magnitude of your project, and your efforts are awesome.

And here I've been whining to my wife all the work I've been putting into my theater room.

Good grief. If she ever sees this thread, I'll never hear the end of it.

I look forward to your updates to your work.

Andretti

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Thanks man. Trust me, I am ready to move on though. I feel like the past three years have been nothing but planning and preparation.

My wife and I continue to think of new ideas, which just adds to the list of things to do before drywall goes up.

For example, we want to add a pot filler above our stove on the first floor, which involves roughing in some additional plumbing in the basement.

I liken the process to building a skyscraper. You have to build down and then back up to ground level before building up. Right now it feels like we've finally hit ground level.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Finshed my outdoor projects for the year, and just recently started work back in the basement.

Current wire count is up to 166. Added two more video security wires.

Also connected some CPVC water supply lines to the existing system, which required shutting the water off for the day. I will have to do more CPVC work before I can finish drywalling the basement.

Will be concentrating on finishing up HVAC modifications this summer.

I bought a SoundVAC Inline Duct Silencer to feed the home theater. Just have to figure out where I'll be installing it.

duct_silencers_02_PH10105S02.jpg

I'm postponing the installation of insulation. Hopefully later this year.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Brian Dobbs said:
131 wires run so far.Not sure if I mentioned this, but I'm now running wires for an intercom system and video surveillance.This past weekend I had to run a few from the basement to the attic! Fortunately I had a conduit installed when they built the house. Attic works stinks!We're also in the middle of a bathroom remodel. And I've also started building a potting bench for my wife. She's been asking for it for the past 2 years now and I told her I would build it once I finished the deck, which I finished a few months ago.As for the home theater pre-wire, I think I'll be purchasing a 10 meter Audioquest Cinnamon HDMI sometime in the next month or so.
Your project is looking good.

I think this is snag for anyone myself included.

Wires, cables. Once its behind the stud framing and plasterboard laid over it and with all the cables tied is going to a neat trick at pulling one cable out when you like to change or repair? Its going to be hard pulling the whole lot out when, you only need one.

I use cable conduit at least I can get to it or change it if not happy with it?

I'm running a lot of cables and I don't like to think or dwell on it as its lol ridiculous for a home cinema, but its fun. :)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
andySu said:
Your project is looking good.

I think this is snag for anyone myself included.

Wires, cables. Once its behind the stud framing and plasterboard laid over it and with all the cables tied is going to a neat trick at pulling one cable out when you like to change or repair? Its going to be hard pulling the whole lot out when, you only need one.

I use cable conduit at least I can get to it or change it if not happy with it?

I'm running a lot of cables and I don't like to think or dwell on it as its lol ridiculous for a home cinema, but its fun. :)
Yeah, i thought about adding conduit for every speaker location but then i thought it would be unecessary. Speaker wire won't really need to be upgraded. I did run conduit for the projector and to the front wall where the TVs will be located.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
167 wires run.

Added another security camera location. I ordered more CAT5 cable to run to existing security camera locations that already have siamese cable run to them.

Basically all security camera locations will have a CAT5 and a siamese cable so that I can choose to monitor everything via CCTV or IPTV.
Expect my wire count to increase by next week.

I also installed an additional exterior electrical outlet to the backside of the house so we can plug stuff in when working in the backyard.

Projects, projects.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I'm looking forward to seeing your speaker layout and screen installation. I am adding more speakers (probably at least an 11.2 setup), and screen and projector within the next 2 years or so. After careful consideration, I am going with an AT screen with all front speakers behind the screen with access since most oF the electronics will be behind there also. I built my room in 1998, so thanks for your posts and photos - a lot has changed and become available in the world of HT since 1998!

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Dr Griffin said:
I'm looking forward to seeing your speaker layout and screen installation. I am adding more speakers (probably at least an 11.2 setup), and screen and projector within the next 2 years or so. After careful consideration, I am going with an AT screen with all front speakers behind the screen with access since most oF the electronics will be behind there also. I built my room in 1998, so thanks for your posts and photos - a lot has changed and become available in the world of HT since 1998!
You're most welcome. Looking forward to any photos you may post.

173 wires run.

Added a phone line to the deck in the back yard. Oh yes, I'll be adding a phone outside. Somehow. To be determined later. Haha.

Installed that duct silencer. Believe it or not I actually think it works. Will post more about it later.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget there are some 6 or 8 wires inside that phone cable did you count them as well? :D

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
andySu said:
Don't forget there are some 6 or 8 wires inside that phone cable did you count them as well? :D
Haha, even a guy like me has limits.

In terms of wiring, the scope of the project at large includes...
  • 21.16 Home Theater with 4 TVs and 1 Projector
  • 16-Camera Video Security System (8 IPTV + 8 CCTV) updated
  • 20 Additional Circuits

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
More on the SoundVAC Inline Duct Silencer...

I was skeptical that it would actually do much for me. My primary concern was the noise the air makes as it blows out of the vent. Even removing the vent cover yielded too much audible air noise.

While working in my thus unfinished basement, I walk from one vent to another and just listen. What I hear is...
  • The sound of the blower system running
  • The sound of the air rushing out of the vents (without covers)
So this past weekend my wife helped me install the silencer. God bless her soul because there's nothing more boring than HVAC work. She even applied the mastic.

After I unboxed the silencer, I yelled into it thinking it would amplify my voice the way wrapping paper tubes do, but to my surprise it dampened it dramatically. Neat. Anyway...

I tapped off of the end of the main rectangular supply line.

051.jpg

I then positioned the silencer in between the ceiling joists.
052.jpg

I installed a short 3' section after the silencer, knowing that I'll finish the rest later.

053.jpg

I got up on the ladder and put my ear next to the duct.

I didn't hear anything, so I put my hand up there just to be certain air was coming out.

Air flow? Check.

I listened again.

I heard the system running, but no sound was coming out of the silencer.

I double checked the other vent locations and sure enough I heard sound.

I have yet to put a rectangular register box on it, but I'm still surprised that I didn't hear anything.

This is really good news.

I'll report more later when I figure out how I'm going to finish the line.

Last edited:

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Allow me to clarify my numbered speaker configuration now that Dolby has clarified some things on their blog.

Front Wall (6)
Left
Left Height
Center
Center Height
Right
Right Height

Left Wall (3)
Left Wide
Left Wide 2
Left Surround

Right Wall (3)
Right Wide
Right Wide 2
Right Surround

Back Wall (3)
Left Back Surround
Center Back Surround
Right Back Surround

Subwoofers (16)
Left
Center
Right
Left Wide
Left Wide 2
Left Surround
Right Wide
Right Wide 2
Right Surround
Left Back Surround
Center Back Surround
Right Back Surround
Left Riser
Right Riser
Left Buttkicker
Right Buttkicker

Ceiling (6)
Left Front
Right Front
Left Middle
Right Middle
Left Rear
Right Rear

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Went just a teensy bit sub crazy? :D

Remind me, what kind of speakers are you considering for this awesome "overkill" build? Do they all have separate bass modules creating the need for such extensive subwoofer cabling?

I'm looking forward to CEDIA as we might get a few more manufacturers with new Atmos friendly speaker designs showing their wares. Plus there may be some Atmos disc title announcements as well.

Are you going with the Trinnov Altitude processor? It's hugely expensive, but currently the only Atmos device that can handle most or all of the 24+10 layout... whatever that will be.

At least in the Dolby Atmos white papers for commercial use, I've seen no mention of screen height speakers or the ability for objects to be placed in those positions. Front wide side wall surround locations... yes (object "channels"). Top ceiling locations... yes (objects and channel beds; they dropped the top channel beds for 1st gen consumer Atmos soundtracks, but can still place objects there). Left screen extra and right screen extra for very large theater screens... yes (object "channels"). Besides the normal array of speakers for a regular 7.1 channel bed... just more of them to create a seamless pan-through array for objects. Subwoofer outs for the surround speakers... yes.

Still no word on Auro3D or DTS-UHD for home use. Personally, I think Barco should just drop regular Auro (channel and matrix based) and glom on to their partner's DTS-UHD codec and its object approach. Auro is doing that way for theatrical mixing. You MAY see positional data for those extra height speakers with DTS-UHD, but since they're keeping quiet, it's anyone's guess.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
DanH1972 said:
Went just a teensy bit sub crazy? :D

Remind me, what kind of speakers are you considering for this awesome "overkill" build? Do they all have separate bass modules creating the need for such extensive subwoofer cabling?

I'm looking forward to CEDIA as we might get a few more manufacturers with new Atmos friendly speaker designs showing their wares. Plus there may be some Atmos disc title announcements as well.

Are you going with the Trinnov Altitude processor? It's hugely expensive, but currently the only Atmos device that can handle most or all of the 24+10 layout... whatever that will be.

At least in the Dolby Atmos white papers for commercial use, I've seen no mention of screen height speakers or the ability for objects to be placed in those positions. Front wide side wall surround locations... yes (object "channels"). Top ceiling locations... yes (objects and channel beds; they dropped the top channel beds for 1st gen consumer Atmos soundtracks, but can still place objects there). Left screen extra and right screen extra for very large theater screens... yes (object "channels"). Besides the normal array of speakers for a regular 7.1 channel bed... just more of them to create a seamless pan-through array for objects. Subwoofer outs for the surround speakers... yes.

Still no word on Auro3D or DTS-UHD for home use. Personally, I think Barco should just drop regular Auro (channel and matrix based) and glom on to their partner's DTS-UHD codec and its object approach. Auro is doing that way for theatrical mixing. You MAY see positional data for those extra height speakers with DTS-UHD, but since they're keeping quiet, it's anyone's guess.
I should clarify that the 15.16.6 is the room's capability, not necessarily what I'll be using when all is said and done. I wired to all of the locations seen above in order to have the maximum number of options (within reason) of speaker and subwoofer placement.

I'm really liking the GoldenEar Triton One's, but I'm years away from purchasing them, or any other equipment for that matter. :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks